Reload this Page >

One Baggers - what are you carrying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Baggers - what are you carrying?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:51 am

Thanks freecia . The shoes could be an issue. I'm not sure what to do about them. I have in the past just worn wet shoes until they dry out. If the worst comes to the worst I should be able to buy new shoes in-country. Also, I'm going to a holy site where it is considered a mark of respect to approach the temple barefoot. Photos of December show snow and ice. I've established that bare feet is not a hard and fast rule, particularly for visitors, but do want to show respect if I can. I'm seriously considering flesh coloured neoprene socks as a compromise/showing willing, and they might be useful at other times if they fit inside my shoes. A small usb fan as Spongthrush recommends sounds a good idea to dry shoes.

I was in a similar part of the world last year mostly with just the same 40L bag and I was warm enough with the same clothes I plan to take this time. I will have long underwear etc. However, last time I stayed three times in the same hotel including my first night, my last night, and a night in between. So, I could leave stuff there and pick it up. Not this time.

I had a look at compute sticks, but they come with Windows which I would prefer not to have to use. The specs are also weaker than a Raspberry Pi. And, I already have a Raspberry Pi but would have to buy a compute stick. I've ordered a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so will see how they work with phone and Pi when they arrive.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Nov 23, 2019 at 2:09 am
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:09 pm

How far do you have to approach the temple barefoot and do you need to remain bare footed inside? You could pack a pair of socks and some hand/toe warmers if they allow socks inside the temple or when departing? I'd probably activate the hand warmers ahead of time to warm the socks up while in my pockets and pop on some warm socks when it is polite to do so. Some toe warmers are sticky and can be adhered on top of your socks and you could also put another layer of socks on top of them to help warm your feet back up
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bramble-Warmers-Foot-12/dp/B073VMJ14T/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=toe+warmer&qid=1574535723&sr=8-7 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bramble-Warmers-Foot-12/dp/B073VMJ14T/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=toe+warmer&qid=1574535723&sr=8-7
I always pack a few heat packets in my carry on bag as I get cold easily on planes and can't sleep when cold.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:35 am

Been using the Red Oxx Air Boss for over ten years. Lately, I’ve been using the Mini Boss more often. I’ve gotten more efficient with packing, so the “bigger” bag doesn’t get used as often.

Looking at a Tom Bihn Synapse 22 for the new year.
camjr and AltaBound like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ordx
Yes, I have this as one of my packable backpacks. It's very sturdy although completely unstructured, and it's perennially on sale for 50% off.
Hmmm... might have to look at this. I had a Sea to Summit Utra-sil that was perfect but managed to loose it during a trip to Tokyo. The new version doesn't seem quite as good.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:37 am

Got my Tom Bihn Synapse 22 in Navy Parapack. When I opened the box I thought “Oh, no. Should I have ordered the 30?” In the end, the 22 will work just fine ... for me.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Been using the Gate8 Garment Mate for a few years now. Easily fits 3 suits + shirts, etc.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by John Isaac
Goruck GR1 is the only bag I use!!
90% of my trips, I use my Goruck GR1. If cold weather to warm weather transitions require me to pack for multi-seasons, I'll go with my slightly larger GR2 (modified to replace the compression buckles with G-hooks.)
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:26 pm

Question for. Lordhamster

Any pics of your GR-1 with the mods ?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by LiveOak
Any pics of your GR-1 with the mods ?
Tomorrow I'll post some pics of the Goruck family.

My GR1 has side and bottom handles added from factory.
My GR2 has side and bottom handles added from factory + I replaced the compression strap buckle (plastic) with a metal G-hook.
My GR3 is a first run with side handles... and I replaced all 4 plastic compression buckles with metal g-hooks.

I've only used the GR3 once. Liked it, but it is too big for my needs most of the time.
The GR2 is a fav of mine, but also tends to be a bit big.

GR1 is my favorite as it is big enough to haul all my gizmos, clothes and toiletries. Upon arrival at hotel, I dump all non-office essentials and it becomes a reasonably sized daily carry bag for my laptop, cables etc.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:47 pm

GR2 Size, how do you order additional handles, etc

How did you order the extra handles?

I just received my GR2 34 L today. Looks good and excited to try out as a one bag traveler. I did for a brief moment have a 40 L model and didn’t like it. More on that below. I think the 34 is good for a Monday through Friday kind of trip.

My go to bag for the last 3 years is a RedOxx Skytrain. I’ve done multiple 8 day business trips with it. I do not put a computer or items for business needs in it. However based on length of trip, business/casual clothing and packing a second pair of shoes, this bag carries more than a GR2 40L.

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Tomorrow I'll post some pics of the Goruck family.

My GR1 has side and bottom handles added from factory.
My GR2 has side and bottom handles added from factory + I replaced the compression strap buckle (plastic) with a metal G-hook.
My GR3 is a first run with side handles... and I replaced all 4 plastic compression buckles with metal g-hooks.

I've only used the GR3 once. Liked it, but it is too big for my needs most of the time.
The GR2 is a fav of mine, but also tends to be a bit big.

GR1 is my favorite as it is big enough to haul all my gizmos, clothes and toiletries. Upon arrival at hotel, I dump all non-office essentials and it becomes a reasonably sized daily carry bag for my laptop, cables etc.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by syvjeff
How did you order the extra handles?

I just received my GR2 34 L today. Looks good and excited to try out as a one bag traveler. I did for a brief moment have a 40 L model and didn’t like it. More on that below. I think the 34 is good for a Monday through Friday kind of trip.

My go to bag for the last 3 years is a RedOxx Skytrain. I’ve done multiple 8 day business trips with it. I do not put a computer or items for business needs in it. However based on length of trip, business/casual clothing and packing a second pair of shoes, this bag carries more than a GR2 40L.
To have goruck add side handles, you can use their SCARS customization page: https://scars-custom.paperform.co/
Basically you mail back the back, pay them to modify and they send it back to you.

I also have a skytrain at home, but I never use it as it just doesn't have a good place for a laptop. My goruck bags have a nice padded compartment with a false bottom for my laptop.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:26 am

Thank you for SCARS Info. Very helpful information.

I just put clothes in Skytrain and use small second bag for laptop. When I tried out GR2 40 L, I just couldn’t fit everything I needed for 8 days. My intention with the 34 L is to fully one bag on shorter trips.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
Not a true one-bagger due to being on-call 24/7 and carrying two laptops (and more) for my office, and sometimes getting sent to far-away places mid trip. Sometimes I get sent to 3rd world countries with frequent extended power outages <cough>California<cough> and questionable water supplies, so I carry enough supplies to keep me self-sufficient for at least 7 days.

Ignoring the work stuff, I use a Costco 2-wheeled carry-on has been my travel companion since 2008 when I became a Costco member. I can get away with it for a week if need be. Rolling clothing + packing cubes have made a world of difference. Nothing fancy on the packing cubes, just a few I've picked up from Amazon over the years.
Does Costco still carry that bag?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Honestly I feel the large backpacks they carry on board are a danger. Last week twice I have seen passengers being knocked off by these large back packs.
At least with the normal wheeled hand luggage passengers either push/pull or carry it when inside the aircraft. Passengers with large back packs, put it on their backs and then move around in the aisle or in the coach knocking passengers on their heads or faces. These are not the same school bag kind of backpacks.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by dav662
Honestly I feel the large backpacks they carry on board are a danger. Last week twice I have seen passengers being knocked off by these large back packs.
At least with the normal wheeled hand luggage passengers either push/pull or carry it when inside the aircraft. Passengers with large back packs, put it on their backs and then move around in the aisle or in the coach knocking passengers on their heads or faces. These are not the same school bag kind of backpacks.
The types of backpacks used by onebaggers aren't that large.

Here is a photo of a GR1 (like what I carry) as my one bag.
This photo is off the web and not of me. My bag isn't a danger to other passengers, because by the time they board... my bag has been stowed for 10 minutes, and I'm working on my pre-departure cocktail.

I think you are thinking of the inconsiderate morons who take their 65 liter "backpacking through europe" pack onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.