Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Travel Luggage recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Business Travel Luggage recommendations

I travel a lot for work. My go-to is my Away bigger carry-on, I can typically get 3+ days. I also carry a Nomatic Backpack for all my work essentials; laptop, ipad, chargers, paperwork, etc.

Challenge is, sometimes I do just an overnight and those more than what I need. I don't travel in dress shoes so I need something that can easily carry size 11 shoes (they take up a lot of room). I don't necessarily want a single bag as I will need to take it into client visits (needing my laptop, chargers, etc)

Curious what other business travelers are doing for both the 3 day trip and the overnight? Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by spartanrob
I travel a lot for work. My go-to is my Away bigger carry-on, I can typically get 3+ days. I also carry a Nomatic Backpack for all my work essentials; laptop, ipad, chargers, paperwork, etc.

Challenge is, sometimes I do just an overnight and those more than what I need. I don't travel in dress shoes so I need something that can easily carry size 11 shoes (they take up a lot of room). I don't necessarily want a single bag as I will need to take it into client visits (needing my laptop, chargers, etc)

Curious what other business travelers are doing for both the 3 day trip and the overnight? Thanks
For this type of trip, DH often uses the smallest size Tumi "foldover" garment bag (these are pretty small) plus a computer carrier for laptop and all the "gadgets".

GC
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:18 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
BR International, and TUMI backpack

TUMI ( two laptops, 2x charger, cables, headphones, earphones, documents, notebook, critical work documents) sometimes in a pinch will take my personal care pouch ( meds, toothbrush, shaver and all that other sundries stuff )
BR Rollerboard : 3-10 days ( yes you can do 10 days ) Luckily, I don't have to take more than two days of dress wear ( one sports jacket, couple dress shirts and two ties ), winter was more challenging but would take my winter coat/layered with gloves/cap-hat as wear-on.

Not sure why you just don't wear the shoes, agree big shoes are big problem, LOL A possible solution put the shoes in a bag and make that look like a shopping bought item ?

My CEO could easily do two weeks and keep the CEO look, I think he was a TUMI guy
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What he said ^

For years I used a Travelpro Crew 22” until it started to fall apart (only had 5yr warranty in those days) then switched to a B&R 21” plus my Swiss backpack for the laptop. I often go 14 days and do hotel laundry 1-2x. I can fit about 5 folded dress shirts, 2 slacks, 1 blazer, shorts, dress shoes. On the plane I’ll wear jeans. As noted above winter is a bit tougher but will carryon a long winter coat. Even more challenging when I have Africa and Europe in January. But it can be done.

Fortunately my employer pays laundry which is $$ well spent as I have many horror stories about others who lost checked luggage. My motto is “never check” on biz trips. I use the same suitcase for 2 nights or 2 weeks - just easier that way as they are fully stocked & ready to go.

Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: AA Gold
For an overnight work trip, I typically use a Tom Bihn Synapse backpack (the bottom shoe compartment accommodates my size 12s just fine) and a Filson 24 Hour briefcase. If I need a suit (rare), then I’ll swap out the Synapse for my old Travelpro Platinum rollaboard.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
I have a B&R Baseline Carryon. I can just squeeze in 14 days worth of clothing without having to do laundry. This would include 10 Dress Shirts, 2 Slacks, workout sneakers, casual sneakers, 7 undershirts, 13 underwear, 10 pairs of socks, 1 pair of flip flops, gym shorts, 3 gym shirts, 5-6 casual t shirts/polos.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
When I went to Mexico City, I fit a pair of hiking boots, a pair of fairly packable sneakers, 8 days of clothes, a laptop, my stupidly large dopp kit, and raingear in a B&R baseline international roller and the baseline expandable cabin bag (fully compressed). (I was wearing an additional pair of dress boots, I'm not reasonable.)
I regularly carry a pair of 11in allen edmonds, with shoe trees plus 2 days worth of suit (1x jacket 2x pants 2x shirts) plus 3 days of casual in my B&R international. With the cabin bag, I get a laptop and a second pair of shoes with lots of room to spare.

I'm also really fat, so if your thinner you can carry more.

Other option, if you don't need a suit is the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30. It will easily fit dress shoes and 5 days of causal clothes.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
For overnights, I have the large expandable brief from Briggs & Riley. Technically, it can do 3 days of business casual but I'd still need another bag for shoes.

So for the 3 day trip, I'd either use my timbuk2 aviator or my T. Anthony canvas suitcase because I can pack my briefcase into it.

Longer than that I use a rimowa salsa air which I can live indefinitely out of, plus a brief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.