Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Need 55x40x20cm 2-wheel cabin baggage

Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:52 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat

I have an expensive Rimowa 56x45x25cm case, which I use on British Airways, EasyJet, Finnair and Iberia, but I need a much cheaper 55x40x20cm case for less frequent use on other airlines, particularly LOT, Lufthansa, Ryanair and Wizz. I have a 20-year-old Samsonite 55x40x20cm case with 2 recessed wheels, but one of the wheels became damaged for which no replacement parts are available any more.

My requirements are:
  • 55x40x20cm (Ryanairs maximum cabin baggage size)
  • 2-wheels (because most 4-wheeled cases waste a substantial part of the 55cm maximum height with unused external space around the wheels)
  • Half/half opening, whereby half of the 20cm depth has a compartment for folded clothes and the other half is for everything else. My old Samsonite has this, which is now difficult to find.
  • Cheap (as I'm not willing to buy more than one premium-priced case)
Any suggestions?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:40 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I had similar requirements to you, and bought the Samsonite Base Boost two years ago. It fits nearly all of your requirements (except the half/half opening) and should be cheap if you can find it. I have the 55x35x20 variant, but I seem to remember they had a 55x40x20 variant as well.

The reason I bought the 55x35x20 was that I did travel a lot on WF DHC-8s and CityJets CRJs. Even though check-in agents automatically think "Upright->gate check", the 35 cm width actually fits the overhead compartment in smaller planes. It is still wide enough to fit A4 documents horizontally, whic was important for me.

A downside is that it is a cheapish bag. It is solid enough (I regularly carry 15 kgs in it), but it doesn't look very posh, and it lacks a handle on the side (the only handle is on the top). Still, I would buy it again, but it might be difficult to find.

Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:43 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by ksu
I had similar requirements to you, and bought the Samsonite Base Boost two years ago. It fits nearly all of your requirements (except the half/half opening)
Thanks, but there are lots that fit the other requirements without the half/half opening. This seems to be the most difficult feature to find, which was common 20 years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.