Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Umbrella for the little pocket on a B&R bag

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Umbrella for the little pocket on a B&R bag

I may just be a moron. In fact, I know this to be true in some instances. However, I am having some trouble a compact umbrella that fits in the 11" pocket between the rails on a Briggs bag. Most that I see are 12"+. The smaller ones (6-8") are too thick and you can literally spin the bag freely when it is in the pocket since it lifts the rest bag off the surface.

Does anyone know of one that will fit, without allowing the bag to spin (too thick)?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I don't have a B&R bag, but I think you might be looking for an umbrella with a flat handle. I have a manual "Raines by Totes" umbrella that I travel with precisely because it's small and flat when closed. The style is labelled "RSTCS," but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a link to it on the Web (which is a shame, because I would buy it again if/when it needs replacement).

The closest I found was the Samsonite Manual Flat Compact Umbrella. You might wish to check its advertised dimensions to see if it fits the pocket on your B&R.

Last edited by mikew99; Jul 31, 2019 at 3:39 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99
I don't have a B&R bag, but I think you might be looking for an umbrella with a flat handle. I have a manual "Raines by Totes" umbrella that I travel with precisely because it's small and flat when closed. The style is labelled "RSTCS," but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a link to it on the Web (which is a shame, because I would buy it again if/when it needs replacement).

The closest I found was the Samsonite Manual Flat Compact Umbrella. You might wish to its advertised dimensions to see if it fits the pocket on your B&R.
That one has potential. I'll look some more at it when I get home. Thank you.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
https://davekny.com/products/the-davek-mini

Has a lifetime warranty and discount on replacement if you lose it. 10% off your first purchase, they also put them on sale from time to time.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: HH <>; IHG Plat; Marriott/SPG Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I use the Davek Mini and it fits in easily fits in the side pocket on my bags: Filson Computer Bag and Travelpro Maxlite 5 backpack.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:20 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
A bit offtopic and whining, I've found that little pocket almost useless ( I'm not an umbrella user, from the NW ), did anyone at BR do the math of how much volume was lost putting the handles outside versus inside. I get the flat inside but they could have done some other clever engineering preserving flat, internal bar, and a little more space too. The tumi internal was/is also sub-optimal, had a tumi and compared them side by side, was an apple-orange comparison between the two competing TUMI and the BR still better tradeoff for how I travel and pack, but not best for that specific formfactor design IMHO.

I've stuffed socks in it, underwear, but these days settle on putting my vitamin box in it. Indeed surprised that BR continues to stick with it but can see it more now like the grill design of a car, it's signature and you keep it even though it is less than efficient
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99

The closest I found was the Samsonite Manual Flat Compact Umbrella. You might wish to check its advertised dimensions to see if it fits the pocket on your B&R.
I ordered this and it arrived today. It fits perfectly, thanks again

Originally Posted by Fly4SCUBA
https://davekny.com/products/the-davek-mini

Has a lifetime warranty and discount on replacement if you lose it. 10% off your first purchase, they also put them on sale from time to time.
Originally Posted by lake330
I use the Davek Mini and it fits in easily fits in the side pocket on my bags: Filson Computer Bag and Travelpro Maxlite 5 backpack.
The problem is that the cylindrical, compact umbrellas are thicker than the bars they fit between, which makes it operate like a top. I have tried that. I thought maybe a little longer would help, if it would still fit. The flat one from above worked.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
A bit offtopic and whining, I've found that little pocket almost useless ( I'm not an umbrella user, from the NW ), did anyone at BR do the math of how much volume was lost putting the handles outside versus inside. I get the flat inside but they could have done some other clever engineering preserving flat, internal bar, and a little more space too. The tumi internal was/is also sub-optimal, had a tumi and compared them side by side, was an apple-orange comparison between the two competing TUMI and the BR still better tradeoff for how I travel and pack, but not best for that specific formfactor design IMHO.

I've stuffed socks in it, underwear, but these days settle on putting my vitamin box in it. Indeed surprised that BR continues to stick with it but can see it more now like the grill design of a car, it's signature and you keep it even though it is less than efficient
I agree. It is a weird and mostly useless pocket and I rarely use an umbrella. However, one was useful on my last trip and I might as well try to fill that dead space.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
For my purposes, this pocket is perfect for the items I need to dump before transiting security: cell phone, wallet, belt, spare change. I don't consider it useful for much else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.