Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Briggs not Honoring Their Guarantee

Old Jul 30, 19, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM

I've seen this mentioned in the past, just adding to it.

Sent my large suitcase in for repair, told it was unfixable and that they would offer me a paltry $250 credit if I bought something on their website, where bags are $600+.

Was offered a demo type bag, when available, but was told that could be many many months.

How nice that they have all these hidden catches in their supposed guarantee, none conveniently mention in their guarantee puffery on the website.

Totally disgusted with them.
Old Jul 30, 19, 7:09 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
I'll bite, how old was the suitcase, is it a model they currently manufacture or sell? How much did you pay for it ?
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
I'll bite, how old was the suitcase, is it a model they currently manufacture or sell? How much did you pay for it ?
15+ years, not a current model, was fairly expensive but don't know the $.
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:36 am

I have sent 10+ bags back to B&R more than 40 (collective) times and never, ever had them push back on repairs (even when things were clearly the result of more than 20 years of use). I wonder if you might be willing to provide a bit more info on the damage and context...While I certainly don’t dispute your account, this is literally the first example of anyone I’ve ever read disappointed in their warranty repairs and guarantee.
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Briggs and Riley warranty not so great.

That scenario is almost exactly as mine except Briggs offered 50% off as opposed to less than that for me.

Problems were with a zipper, the hard backing that forms the backbone of the bag, the handle arms coming unscrewed, and the wheels losing their rubber coating.

They had been repaired before by Briggs, no hassle at all, but now they say they can't and are offering very little in return. I understand if they can't fix it due to being an older model but they offer a lifetime guarantee and are not honoring it.

I spoke with them yesterday and they will try to get me a replacement demo bag, but there are no promises if it will be anything like what I had or how long it will be. It could be many months I was told, they don't get many in to disburse.

With other avenues not panning out I feel I should get a new one. That's last resort but that's not my problem - it is theirs with them offering a lifetime guarantee without any exclusions being divulged.
Old Jul 31, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by billycwhatup View Post
I have sent 10+ bags back to B&R more than 40 (collective) times and never, ever had them push back on repairs (even when things were clearly the result of more than 20 years of use). I wonder if you might be willing to provide a bit more info on the damage and context...While I certainly don’t dispute your account, this is literally the first example of anyone I’ve ever read disappointed in their warranty repairs and guarantee.
There are reports here on FT or just google. I get that there are tons of B&R fans on here, but the partial (minimal?) credit toward a new bag seems a bit too common for older products and it's why I've never considered B&R. If I'm going to be substantially out of pocket on a "lifetime warranty", then I don't need the lifetime warranty.
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:01 pm

Interesting. Honestly. Any difference in luck by bringing to a local, authorized repair shop (which fixes the bags under warranty)? I’m really saddened to hear this because they have been such a customer service outlier for so long.
Old Aug 1, 19, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billycwhatup View Post
Interesting. Honestly. Any difference in luck by bringing to a local, authorized repair shop (which fixes the bags under warranty)? Iím really saddened to hear this because they have been such a customer service outlier for so long.
I've been contemplating that, I wonder if they still have the bag? IIRC, some of the wheel damage was severe - a riveted, recessed wheel assembly was pulled from the main body of the bag, a general repair shop isn't going to fix that.
Old Aug 1, 19, 8:35 am

Returning 15 yo extensively used bag is really outside common sense intent of the policy imo... really impressive brand/bag quality if it lasted 15 yrs...
chipmaster likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Returning 15 yo extensively used bag is really outside common sense intent of the policy imo... really impressive brand/bag quality if it lasted 15 yrs...
I love the bag, when I traveled heavily the grief it went through was amazing. Something as durable as that, when it gets broken really makes you realize what a hard life luggage faces.

But they sell, for a very premium price, a bag with a lifetime warranty. The promote the hell out of the warranty. They make no bones that it covers everything except cosmetic damage and cleaning.

End of story, it is well within the purview of what was sold and what is promised/expected. Yes, it was a great life, it survived admirably. But they are selling the guarantee as part of the product and need to honor it.
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:50 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
I agree with some other posters you do see posts here and elsewhere of unhappy responses to a return.

A written and heavy marketing like BR does of lifetime when you push it as part of that premium brand they better be willing to expect some backlash if they don't honor it to the letter of everyone's expectation.

I ask what is "reasonable" use a bag for 10-15 years and what should you expect versus what is promised?

For me personally I popped a lot of $ over the costco kirkland alternative for 1/4 the prices ( yes my bag was very expensive when I bought it, likely yours was too ), I've used mine weekly now going on three years and 3/4 a million miles flying and countless miles dragged around airports, sidewalks, in / out of hoverheads and a few times check-in when it failed weight etc. etc. As to zippers and fabric all looking good ( knock on wood ), I can see luck being more the thing that causes the zippers / fabric to fail. Wheels/hardware seem to capable of another decade. Now in a decade when plastic/metal wears to failure or a zipper/fabric finally goes. What do I expect? Model and basic parts discontinued, hmm 50% discount on a new bag would be reasonable ( shipping on my dime ),

but they did promise and market guaranteed for life, what does that really mean, full replacement equal value ( don't think they say that )... so becomes a discussion of what the buyer/reader wants to bend versus what is reasonable.

Kind of like the Costco lifetime return policy that had to be excluded from electronics when peopled started wheeling in their 5 year old flatscreen TV or laptop or whatever electronics because they were now "not satisfied" well they could get a bigger and better product for cheaper, how could they be satisfied, LOL
Old Aug 2, 19, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post

I did it with a B&R bag about that old and they fixed it.

Search this Thread