Wiki Posts
Search

What's a good Dopp kit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
What's a good Dopp kit?

I'm looking at an elegant Dopp kit bag. I'm a man although don't really care about color. I'm looking at the Piel Leather U-Frame which is like $60 on Amazon. U FRAME UTILITY KIT W/ ZIP BOTTOM - Toiletry Kits - Travel I need a lot of space but I like the Dopp/toiletry style. I don't like the ones that unfurl or wind up. I'm open to spending more or less but I am a product junkie so I need space.

I also want to get some silicon bottles and tubs. Are the HumanGear (GoToob, etc.) the best? Also, any recommendations on a sturdy clear 3-1-1 toiletry bag for when I do check luggage (which is rare) but I like to put my liquid stuff in it anyway.

I've been a road warrior for a while and have cobbled together other stuff that's just worn out and I'm tired of looking at beat up and worn out stuff. And one of my products leaked out and it smells like rotting avocado in my current toiletry bag so I want to get a new big one and put products in silicon containers to minimize that.

Appreciate any input!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Are you planning to check or carryon your dopp kit?

I like the stuff from PackSimply, gets the job done with minimal fuss.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I find leather attractive but awkward & heavy for travel & esp dopp kits - I don't want leather storing liquids and sitting in oft-moist bathrooms. I like a nylon kit (currently using an eagle creek option for "dry" stuff, liquids in 3-1-1 bag -just a ziploc). I've had lots of different nylon versions over the years- mostly LLBean and Eagle Creek because I like the shapes/sizes & weights available & durability. I have a larger very odd samsonite vinyl zipper bag I use when I check liquids - not sure where I found it but I know it's 10+ years old at this point and will have to be replaced as the material is starting to break down :-(

I have some gotoobs but tend to only use when I check - their shape is too bulky for my 3-1-1 ziploc.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
That looks similar to my Amerileather bag:
Amazon Amazon

Also on eBags: https://www.ebags.com/category/trave...hdr_srch_as_l1

Amerileather makes several bags. You can check the weight and size in the product specs section for each bag on the eBags website.

I like the extra compartment at the bottom. I find it handy to carry vitamin/pill organizers and prescription pill bottles. And I like that the upper compartment opens wide and stays open so I can find things inside. Inside the large upper compartment (hard to see in the pics) is 1 zippered pocket and 2 mesh pockets (1 small, 1 medium).

The downside of the zippered bottom compartment is that it does make the bag larger so it requires a bit more space in my carry-on. And it does weigh a bit more than some of the other bags I've used, but I like its sturdiness. I've had mine for several years now and, other than some blemishes/scratches on the leather, it's still in good condition. I suppose that if it really started looking bad, I could use some shoe polish to shine it up, but I've never tried that.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:37 am

I've had leather in the past... no more... if something spills, even with a liner, forget-about-it. I also have a Red Oxx smaller dopp kit and it's nice, but bulky.

About ten years ago I bought a Victorinox Slimline Dopp Kit and it is my absolute go-to for all traveling and workout-gym use. It is in immaculate condition after all these years, looks to be a type of ballistic material and frankly, it is BULLETPROOF. It's not fancy, in black, simple design does everything I need it to do.

https://www.victorinox.com/global/en...Kit/p/31173101
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
1 Gallon Ziptop bag. You can easily see where everything is and when it gets nasty, you can recycle it and get a new one.
I keep my liquids in Nalgene bottles and keep those items in a 1quart ziptop bag.

Last edited by envgeo; Feb 25, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:25 pm

I use the Green Venture Hanging Toiletry Bag For Men. $20 on Amazon. I bought 2 of them and packed them both full of stuff I need.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
sorry. repeat

Last edited by envgeo; Jun 16, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by envgeo
1 Gallon Ziptop bag.
This is what I do.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by envgeo
1 Gallon Ziptop bag. You can easily see where everything is and when it gets nasty, you can recycle it and get a new one.
I keep my liquids in Nalgene bottles and keep those items in a 1quart ziptop bag.

I started doing this about four months ago. Have several Dopp kits that I gave to my kids. Much more conv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.