Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip insurance with award tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Trip insurance with award tickets?

I have a quote for trip insurance. Plan to get trip interruption and cancellation, medical etc. My flights (for two people) were not paid for in cash. I used mileage points. (United). Has anyone bought trip insurance in a similar situation? How did they compensate your for miles used to purchase tickets? My quote is from Allianz and seems reasonable for two people, about $600 total for a trip (cruise) of about 17 days.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yes I've had policies that include reimbursement for miles/points redeposit fees in the event of a cancelation. Not all policies include this specific coverage and the amount can vary from as low as $25 on up. So you just need to read the coverage terms and conditions carefully - which you should do anyway of course.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:41 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Products Forum
Thanks
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For a single policy that seems quite expensive. I imagine it’s very comprehensive?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
For a single policy that seems quite expensive. I imagine it’s very comprehensive?
What do you consider a reasonable rate for trip insurance? It's $300 per person. It covers trip interruption, cancellation, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It’s hard to say without specifics. My pretty comprehensive annual policy covers the whole family and is bundled in with my Amex. For a two week two person policy I’m surprised it’s so much. I think my parents in law bought an annual policy for something like $400 each.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It’s hard to say without specifics. My pretty comprehensive annual policy covers the whole family and is bundled in with my Amex. For a two week two person policy I’m surprised it’s so much. I think my parents in law bought an annual policy for something like $400 each.
When I look at insuremytrip, the quotes are coming in higher than what the TA is quoting (from the same company).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
How much did you declare the trip value? We use Allianz all of the time due to health insurance outside of the country. Usually it's under $200.00.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
How much did you declare the trip value? We use Allianz all of the time due to health insurance outside of the country. Usually it's under $200.00.
Trip value is about $7,000 plus fee to cancel/refund airfare. I will call Allianz directly for a quote.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
Trip value is about $7,000 plus fee to cancel/refund airfare. I will call Allianz directly for a quote.

Ahhh OK you are getting a good price. Most of our trips are on miles and timeshare stays. Very flexible. I think you are in good shape. We do have an expensive trip next Spring to the Maldives. That was about $1500 for the insurance. For the record, we get one for every Intl trip. Had to make claims to Allianz three times.

1) Weather returning from Hong Kong. Stuck at JFK one night.
2) Weather returning from Cabo. Stuck in Phoenix 3 nights.
3) Sudden death of my mother-had to cancel trip to Aruba.

All claims processed without question. Just had to provide docs justifying the refund amounts. We were very happy with the service. The real reason we get it is in case of medical issues outside the country. Never needed that yet...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
What do you consider a reasonable rate for trip insurance? It's $300 per person. It covers trip interruption, cancellation, etc.
Does it cover medical & medical evacuation back to home country?
Polices from a TA and direct from the same company can be different.
At times an annual policy is not a lot more than a 1 trip limited duration-declared cost policy.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Does it cover medical & medical evacuation back to home country?
Polices from a TA and direct from the same company can be different.
At times an annual policy is not a lot more than a 1 trip limited duration-declared cost policy.
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.