Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Carry-on for 1-2 nights (Rimowa Business vs. Tumi Compact)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

tl;dr - what bag for 1-2 nights away?

Long time forum stalker here !

Been travelling with a B&R Carry-on spinner for the last couple of years now - perfect in every way for a trip that was 3-4 nights long. I'm pairing this with the Tumi Anderson Slim brief.

However my work travel is changing and now my normal trip is 1-2 nights max - which makes the B&R a bit overkill. This is not helped by the fact that Lufthansa seem to gate check the B&R at any opportunity they get - and BA is just a fight to get space in the overhead bins.

I've tried various one bag solutions..

I rushed out and bought a Samsonite DLX4 Rolling Tote (25L) thinking this would be the answer to my problems - however the build quality was a far cry from the B&R/Tumi I was used too.. and it did not have enough room for 1 night trip + business gear (laptop, chargers, ipad, notebook, headphones etc). I did on occasion "force" it to fit but I had to slim down my gear alot and simple things such as buying a bottle of water at the airport became a challenge to pack.

I've resorted now to digging out an old school bag (North Face Surge 33L) and this works nicely - but once it's fully packed doesn't look that professional walking into meetings with.

So once again - I'm drooling over luggage with my finger on the trigger to buy something..

I'm on the fence now over the one bag solution and find myself looking at a couple of options:

Rimowa Topas Business Multiwheel 26L - Remove the entire partition and use it as a open flat suitcase/traveller. This would give me an empty canvas to use with packing cubes. Hopefully due it's size it should fly under the radar at the gate slightly - but would still need to bring my tumi brief - however as it's a hard shell should have no issue resting my laptop bag over the handle.

Tumi 4 Wheeled Compact Brief 18L - Due to the design, i think there may be more flexibility vs. the Samonsite if I wanted to use this as a 1 bag solution - but figure I could only do this for 1 night. However, assume I could also remove the divider and use this as small suitcase (but there seems to be a huge capacity difference vs. Rimowa).

And finally, the Tumi 4 Wheeled Compact Duffel 26L - Looks a strong contender, however this seems to have a softer shell, so not sure how this fair stacking my laptop bag ontop and whether this would instantly fall over.

Any input from people who have been in a similar situation or who own the above would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bef58115; Dec 30, 2017 at 2:00 am
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:57 am

Hi. Well I had a similar dilemma and went for the Rimowa. I have had the Topas business case for about 4 years now and its actually incredibly versatile. I use it in business case mode and as a small suitcase for 1-2 nights as needed. The dividers are easily removable and mine came with a set of straps to put in instead to make it a suitcase. Highly recommended but it was half the price it is now when I got it!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:38 pm

I recommend the Eagle Creek No Matter What Flatbed. The only issues are that (1) it's a soft case, (2) doesn't look elegant but OK, and (3) has two useless straps in the front but you can cut them.

Much cheaper than Rimowas.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks; I'm not sure how Eagle Creek would pull off in a meeting room scenario.

I've pulled the trigger on a Tumi backpack.. I'll post some pictures in a new thread.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I use a Red Oxx Mini Boss as my carry-on for short trips. Never had any concern about bringing it into meetings, but then I can show up to work in a hoodie if I want to.

Easily fits my 15" laptop, a few days of clothes, notebook, etc. I keep everything in packing cubes so that I can easily remove my clothes and toiletries at the hotel and leave them there.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by bef58115
Thanks; I'm not sure how Eagle Creek would pull off in a meeting room scenario.
If you're going this "path".. always check back, that noone comes into the room with this HENK: ultimate luxury travel goods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.