Poor quality Rimowa luggage, very disappointing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor quality Rimowa luggage, very disappointing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Unhappy Poor quality Rimowa luggage, very disappointing

I travel almost 200,000 air miles a year and am a big fan of Tumi luggage.

However, I have admired the Rimowa aluminium luggage for a long time and I recently "treated myself" to a Pilots case and a Topas Sport Multiwheel trunk, from the Rimowa store in Singapore. I say that I treated myself because this was very expensive luggage. Imagine my disappointment when, on the very first trip (Bangkok to Miami, via Frankfurt) one of the rivets on the wheel broke. The wheel was stuck in place and I had to pull the case in only one particular direction, which was very annoying. Also having to explain the problem to hotel porters etc. was embarrassing.

I took the trunk to the Rimowa Service Centre in Bangkok after my trip and I was very pleased with the service. They repaired it on the spot, within 45 minutes. My faith was restored in the brand.

Fast forward to just six weeks later, when I used the trunk for only the fourth time, and the exact same thing happened again. I cannot be sure its the same wheel but its the exact same fault. I have loaded a photo here.

Has anybody else experienced this poor quality from what is supposed to be a leading premium luggage brand? That brand faith that was restored? Phffft......whoooosh.......gone again
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Just have them repair it again. Ask that the whole wheel be replaced. Might take a couple days, but it'll be good as new.

I have five Rimowa checked bags and six carry on bags, none have had the wheels falls off. Only they got dirty and stopped rolling in which case the local shop replaced the wheels. On one of them the rivets look like they're about to wear all the way through, but so far so good.

My Tumi had two wheels break in half... ended up Tumi replacing the whole suitcase.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Did you check it? My Rimowa Topas has about 400,000 miles on it with only a few scratches to show for it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: AY Gold, QR Plat
Have had this happen twice, 3 years had the bag and some 60 flights.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
What size sport trunk did you get? 32" If so, have you had any issue with it being declared as "oversize"?

Any more experiences with the wheels and rivets getting damaged?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.