Search

Recommendations for cheap suitcase?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tentseller
I am using the new Pelican Air 1615. You can get four for the price of a same size Rimowa. I have never seen a dented Pelican.
Does the Pelican Air 1615 come with the right accessories to help organize clothes and cameras? I think that suitcase was designed more for cameras than clothes.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lsquare
Does the Pelican Air 1615 come with the right accessories to help organize clothes and cameras? I think that suitcase was designed more for cameras than clothes.
Packing cubes and folders are my modular packing methods. Most of the time when I am maxing out my 3pcs with Peli 1615`s and B&R rolling duffles it is not only clothing in them.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I have never seen a dented Pelican.
Ya because they don't dent - they just break . I love my 1510
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
deleted

Last edited by chgoeditor; Nov 1, 2017 at 11:48 am Reason: oops
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am using the new Pelican Air 1615. You can get four for the price of a same size Rimowa. I have never seen a dented Pelican.
Which version did you get and where did you buy it? In Canada, the Air 1615 is over C$500. I wonder if it'll be cheaper to buy in the US?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which version did you get and where did you buy it? In Canada, the Air 1615 is over C$500. I wonder if it'll be cheaper to buy in the US?
Air 1615
DO you think I am nuts to pay Canadian retail vs US discounted prices?

Yes, US purchase and shipped to a sales tax free state
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I can't seem to take my mind off of Amazon's own 28" spinner. I recognize it have a zipper so that's a potential problem, but it's really cheap that I wouldn't mind trying it out.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...on+basic+28%22

My question for you guys is whether this is too big for most of the world's airlines? Unless I'm mistaken, the biggest size for checked luggage is about 62 linear inches / 158 linear centimeters. I have to admit I don't understand what that really means. Does the dimension of the Amazon suitcase meet the requirement?

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't seem to take my mind off of Amazon's own 28" spinner. I recognize it have a zipper so that's a potential problem, but it's really cheap that I wouldn't mind trying it out.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...on+basic+28%22

My question for you guys is whether this is too big for most of the world's airlines? Unless I'm mistaken, the biggest size for checked luggage is about 62 linear inches / 158 linear centimeters. I have to admit I don't understand what that really means. Does the dimension of the Amazon suitcase meet the requirement?

Thanks!
length + width + height = linear inches.
I find in my application I usually ended up with extra space in a 28 when meeting the 23kg/50lbs limit that I need to "fill" to prevent content shifting.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

length + width + height = linear inches.
I find in my application I usually ended up with extra space in a 28 when meeting the 23kg/50lbs limit that I need to "fill" to prevent content shifting.
If that's the case, then the Amazon 28" is about 64 linear inches. That's 2 linear inches more than the limit. Since the luggage is checked, what are the odds that any airlines will figure that out and either charge me extra or deny my ability to check the luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.