Wiki Posts
Search

Very Unusual Travel Health Insurance Situation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
$2500 is not a high deductible for health insurance. $15,000 is a high deductible for health insurance. The original post does not clarify the total number of individuals. The original post does not clarify if the noted $2500 deductible is per person or per family. Are you the head of household or a member of a household?

Insurance or not, the provider may require payment at the time of service.
I thought I was clear in the original post $2500 per person.

Thanks for the suggestions about self insuring and buying a local product. I'll look into it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by fairhsa
It might be worth pointing out at this point that health insurance in Europe costs a fraction of what it costs in the USA. Getting something local (which probably also covers the rest of Europe, if not they can find a local product that does) is likely to be much more cost effective than finding something in the USA.
I think the problem here comes that the op donīt have access to French social security system. So it might be difficult to get the local insurance.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sama
I think the problem here comes that the op donīt have access to French social security system. So it might be difficult to get the local insurance.
That's true and there seems no way to buy into it, but I'm checking hte French forums for that.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression of the EU healthcare system is that in most cases, as a foreigner if you have a residence or work permit and some sort of job, even if only part time or a university assistantship or visiting faculty position that pays something as salary, you're generally eligible for the nationalized healthcare, which covers you throughout the EU. In some countries, it's typical for such employees to purchase "private" health insurance on top of this coverage, which can give access to "better" doctors and lead to less rationing of medical care, but the extent to which people with good jobs tend to do this varies by country.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It sounds as though OP is covered in the US under a fairly typical high-deductible health plan with a deductible of $2,500-$5,000 per person per year. He would then be eligible to contribute that deductible amount to a pre-tax HSA and pay the deductibles from the HSA (and roll that over if not used).

It also sounds as though he has very limited out-of-network coverage which puts him in a real bind overseas.

It is doubtful that travel insurance is the answer or that OP will fit the definition of "travel" if he is working locally.

As others note, either his academic institution or the institution with which he will affiliate locally, even if on a stipend and not salary, will have addressed this issue and be able to direct OP.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
American Express has travel insurance which activates once you're 75+ miles away from home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.