Reload this Page >

Very Unusual Travel Health Insurance Situation

Old Jul 12, 17, 7:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

I read through the threads on health insurance and couldn't find this issue addressed.

Situation: Going with family to live in France for a year. Plan to travel a lot in Europe. My US employer has no HMOs that are for Europe but offers a catastrophic health care international plan. Essentially covers everything but has a very high deductible of $2500 per person for the year.

So I wanted to get travel insurance to essentially reduce my deductible.

I'd need a product that:

a) Covers me for just under a year
b) Covers me whilst in Europe (Schengen countries)
c) Can be used to cover the $2500 deductible in case of a hospital visit
d) Ideally would also cover $2500 deductible for non-essential visits (i.e. visit a GP, get some blood work done etc.)

Now of course if it costs more than $2500 per person its not worth it.

Anyone heard of a product like this from a reputable company?
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:03 am

If you will be living in France for a year, have you checked the cost/requirements of local insurance rather than a 'travel' insurance?
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you are there for work, shouldn't your employer provide coverage similar to what it does in the US? I'd ask them to do so.
Old Jul 12, 17, 9:47 am

Programs: AY+
Are you working in France? Or just holiday?
How is the schengen visa?
Old Jul 12, 17, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

Hi,

I'm a visiting researcher so I get a stipend not an salary so no access to french health care for me!

As I mentioned, I would be traveling a lot in Europe so don't want a health care plan limited to just France.

Also, I already have health care from my employer for really expensive events (i.e. heart attack etc.) (the deductible is $2500 per person per year).

I really want a plan to cover the day to day needs to see a doctor if I need some antibiotics or a kid breaks an arm etc.

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 17, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Friends' son is studying in Paris(PhD). There is an academic insurance that covers him in France as well as all countries in Schengen.
Old Jul 12, 17, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by inpd View Post
Hi,

I'm a visiting researcher so I get a stipend not an salary so no access to french health care for me!

As I mentioned, I would be traveling a lot in Europe so don't want a health care plan limited to just France.

Also, I already have health care from my employer for really expensive events (i.e. heart attack etc.) (the deductible is $2500 per person per year).

I really want a plan to cover the day to day needs to see a doctor if I need some antibiotics or a kid breaks an arm etc.

Thanks!
I'd contact whatever university or institute you'll be working at to see what they usually recommend. I'm sure this is a question they've dealt with many times in the past.
Old Jul 12, 17, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Redacted
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:17 pm

Consider self-insuring

If you already have coverage for the big/major costs, why not consider self-insuring? If you put aside the amount that you would need to pay for private insurance with a low deductible for a family each month, you would soon have enough to cover that $2500 deductible. If everyone stays healthy, you are ahead. It is unlikely that all of you would have serious illnesses. Only you can determine your comfort level with the risk, but I would certainly consider this option once you know the insurance costs.
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have you checked out insuremytrip to see if anything comes up that fits your needs?
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
When my university sends us abroad on official business, we are covered by inext http://www.inext.com/ I have not had to use it so have no idea of how comprehensive it is. We get it through our International Programs office and the university pays the full premium.
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Keep in mind, many travel insurances do have restrictions on the coverage.

For example, the insurance may not provide coverage beyond certain time.

It may be your best idea to find a health insurance locally.
Old Jul 12, 17, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
If you have major health insurance you're possibly better just paying out of pocket for minor care issues that may come up. My experience with France is that Doctor's visits etc. are surprisingly affordable even without coverage.

Take a look at this thread for people's experiences with the cost for various procedures in various countries
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-cost-you.cfm
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
$2500 is not a high deductible for health insurance. $15,000 is a high deductible for health insurance. The original post does not clarify the total number of individuals. The original post does not clarify if the noted $2500 deductible is per person or per family. Are you the head of household or a member of a household?

Insurance or not, the provider may require payment at the time of service.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Jul 12, 17 at 9:08 pm
Old Jul 13, 17, 12:56 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
It might be worth pointing out at this point that health insurance in Europe costs a fraction of what it costs in the USA. Getting something local (which probably also covers the rest of Europe, if not they can find a local product that does) is likely to be much more cost effective than finding something in the USA. You might also want to research the cost of healthcare in Europe - typically that's also a fraction of the USA and thus self insurance is practical. Many places also have public healthcare for people with valid visa's (which, unlike the USA, is a perfectly acceptable option).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: