Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards

I travel frequently. I am in and out of airports 4-6 times a month. When it comes to luggage, I don't have the time or patience for warrentee repair. What I look for in a bag is simple. I need a bag that meets airline standard carry-on requirements without question (yes I realize this changes from airline to airline), is functional, and can take a reasonable amount of abuse. For me and millions of other travelers these are the three must haves:

1. It needs to be able to get down the isle of the plane easily.
2. It needs to be able to stow in the overhead bin easily.
3. It needs to make my walk from the curb to airplane seat a simple thing.

So, then why is it that even the best of luggage manufacturers cannot get number 1 right, let alone 2 and 3.

For example: If you are a frequent traveler then you most likely have noticed that an overlapping large lip between the handle and the retractable arms is a major problem. Not having your handle taper into the retractable arms will cause any personal item bag that you slide onto the handle of your wheeled bag to snag up when trying to remove it. And yet, every luggage manufacturer has a wheeled line of bags that suffer from this deficiency. I've frequently see this deficiency on very expensive bags. I cannot help but sit there and shake my head as to the stupidity of the company for overlooking this flaw, while I sit there looking down the isle of the plane watching people struggle to get their personal item off their wheeled bag!

What other things do you HATE about luggage and you will not buy one that has that problem?
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ChimarraoMate
I travel frequently. I am in and out of airports 4-6 times a month. When it comes to luggage, I don't have the time or patience for warrentee repair. What I look for in a bag is simple. I need a bag that meets airline standard carry-on requirements without question (yes I realize this changes from airline to airline), is functional, and can take a reasonable amount of abuse. For me and millions of other travelers these are the three must haves:

1. It needs to be able to get down the isle of the plane easily.
2. It needs to be able to stow in the overhead bin easily.
3. It needs to make my walk from the curb to airplane seat a simple thing.

So, then why is it that even the best of luggage manufacturers cannot get number 1 right, let alone 2 and 3.

For example: If you are a frequent traveler then you most likely have noticed that an overlapping large lip between the handle and the retractable arms is a major problem. Not having your handle taper into the retractable arms will cause any personal item bag that you slide onto the handle of your wheeled bag to snag up when trying to remove it. And yet, every luggage manufacturer has a wheeled line of bags that suffer from this deficiency. I've frequently see this deficiency on very expensive bags. I cannot help but sit there and shake my head as to the stupidity of the company for overlooking this flaw, while I sit there looking down the isle of the plane watching people struggle to get their personal item off their wheeled bag!

What other things do you HATE about luggage and you will not buy one that has that problem?
It's a box. With wheels and a handle. How many ways can there be to make it demonstrably better? You have a (minor) gripe about handle design. How much more are you willing to pay for a suitcase that addresses that issue, but is otherwise identical? How many incremental sales will a manufacturer realize if they make an investment is engineering/design, tooling/manufacturing, testing, and marketing? What's the ROI on that investment - 3 months? 6? A year? Never?

There is an unending stream of "new" luggage designs coming out of Asian manufacturing plants. Adding all kinds of doodads of questionable utility - Cup holders. Built in batteries for charging your electronics. Bluetooth proximity sensors. Even one which claims to operate semi-autonomously, following you around like a loyal trip hazard. But none of these improve on the basic necessity.

I would argue that the only real improvements to the technology which have appeared since my first flight in 1974 would be Ballistic nylon (weight savings & strength) and wheels. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one of my arms is slightly longer than the other, after lugging my mom's blue plastic Samsonite bag through BWI when I was 9 years old....

There are a lot of things in life that are irritating. Not all of them have a business case for remedying.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
The issue is not the bag with the handle and wheels but the other bag. The carry handle needs to be of sufficient width that it will go over the bag handle easily. Backpack bags are the biggest problem. The carry handles are not wide enough to fit over the bag handle.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Ditch the wheels. Problem solved.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:05 pm

Aisle not isle.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Aisle not isle.
I'm ashamed to admit that I have given up on that battle...
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:46 am

There's bags with smooth handle designs that roll down the aisle. You just need to keep looking.

Last edited by GoRavens; Jul 11, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by txflyer77
This
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Delsey bags (on case # 3 in 15 years, last time I upgraded was to get a smaller bag in line with European carry on rules, not because I didn't like bag #2 ), both for the wheeled bag, and the bag that slides over the handle, and I don't experience snag - I agree with the poster who said it is more about the width of the sleeve part on the second bag, than the handle of the first.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:17 pm

+1
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:17 pm

When one finds the perfect bag that meets all of their (and your) requirements, they no longer have to complain about such things.

Google the term U122CX. Problem solved.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Was about to say the same. Personally, if can't carry it then I've packed too much. If I need to take that much stuff, I check.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you are a frequent traveler then you most likely have noticed that an overlapping large lip between the handle and the retractable arms is a major problem. Not having your handle taper into the retractable arms will cause any personal item bag that you slide onto the handle of your wheeled bag to snag up when trying to remove it. And yet, every luggage manufacturer has a wheeled line of bags that suffer from this deficiency. I've frequently see this deficiency on very expensive bags. I cannot help but sit there and shake my head as to the stupidity of the company for overlooking this flaw, while I sit there looking down the isle of the plane watching people struggle to get their personal item off their wheeled bag!
Can someone explain this to me? My Tumi roller and case do not suffer from this snagging issue you mention.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:02 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by boltjames
When one finds the perfect bag that meets all of their (and your) requirements, they no longer have to complain about such things.

Google the term U122CX. Problem solved.
U121CXS and the U122CX are almost perfect

There is no "perfect" bag as each travel has a few pete peeves.

Some probably want outer zippered pockets, other not.
Some want spinner others not
Some want ... put your favorite thing missing on your current luggage
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by chipmaster
U121CXS and the U122CX are almost perfect

There is no "perfect" bag as each travel has a few pete peeves.

Some probably want outer zippered pockets, other not.
Some want spinner others not
Some want ... put your favorite thing missing on your current luggage
Yes, "perfect" if you prefer to travel with a rigid case with wheels that weighs in excess of 9 lbs empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.