FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:10 am
ChimarraoMate

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus RewardsŪ Five StarŪ, & Rapid Rewards
Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

I travel frequently. I am in and out of airports 4-6 times a month. When it comes to luggage, I don't have the time or patience for warrentee repair. What I look for in a bag is simple. I need a bag that meets airline standard carry-on requirements without question (yes I realize this changes from airline to airline), is functional, and can take a reasonable amount of abuse. For me and millions of other travelers these are the three must haves:

1. It needs to be able to get down the isle of the plane easily.
2. It needs to be able to stow in the overhead bin easily.
3. It needs to make my walk from the curb to airplane seat a simple thing.

So, then why is it that even the best of luggage manufacturers cannot get number 1 right, let alone 2 and 3.

For example: If you are a frequent traveler then you most likely have noticed that an overlapping large lip between the handle and the retractable arms is a major problem. Not having your handle taper into the retractable arms will cause any personal item bag that you slide onto the handle of your wheeled bag to snag up when trying to remove it. And yet, every luggage manufacturer has a wheeled line of bags that suffer from this deficiency. I've frequently see this deficiency on very expensive bags. I cannot help but sit there and shake my head as to the stupidity of the company for overlooking this flaw, while I sit there looking down the isle of the plane watching people struggle to get their personal item off their wheeled bag!

What other things do you HATE about luggage and you will not buy one that has that problem?