Wiki Posts
Search

Hartmann quality (vs Samsonite?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Hartmann quality (vs Samsonite?)

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a luggage. I've found 2 (in discount store) that are interesting:

Hartmann Herringbone Luxe and Samsonite Hyperspace XLT

I've never heard of Hartmann. Is that a good brand? Is the luggage worth anything? Which of the 2 is better?

Thanks,
Joe
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Joe: Hartmann use to be a very fine brand. I believe that they were purchased by Samsonite. Samsonite just refused warranty repair on two hard sided suitcases I own, which were separately damaged on their wheels (suitcases were still in warranty). By the way, you need to verify if suitcases purchased in discount retailer has any Manufacturer's Warranty.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:05 pm

Yes Hartmann was purchased by Samsonite (and now so has Tumi and eBags). Their stuff used to be really nice, not sure about nowadays, though.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Have you heard of this model? https://shop.hartmann.com/collection...=Black#start=4

Seems good, but I know very little about luggage...
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:31 pm

I was a loyal Hartmann owner since 1996 and have 8-9 pieces of luggage, from rollers to carryons to garment bags, et al.

I finally gave up on them last year after a roller bag handle went to pieces and they no longer would repair or replace it for me.

I had to drive 100 miles to an authorized repair center, where the guy just chuckled and said there was no way to repair as they no longer make parts after the Samsonite buy-out.

So, while I still have a number of their bags, and love them. Once they become irreparable, then I will look elsewhere.

Hartmann is now just a "brand label" to stick on Samsonite luggage that they want to sell at a huge markup ... sad, really for a 100+ year old company...

P
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Considering I found the luggage for $84

Considering I've found that piece for $84, is the quality worth the buy? Even compared to good Samsonite luggage the price is good, no?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Hartmann was quite a high end brand before, and you still see wealthy, older couples walking around with match sets. Now, you are likely to see them for dirt cheap at Ross, Winners or TJ Maxx and they definitely aren't the same. If you like the look, and can deal with the fact that their stuff is kind of heavy, you can always take a flyer for the right price, but don't expect premium.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Not looking for premium

I'm flying a few times a year, both domestically and internationally.

Don't care about premium or brand. Only looking for decent suitcase that would be durable (and easy to roll)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I've got the Hartmann 7R aluminium case and it is great.

Glides effortlessly, and I got it in a sale for £400. I thought it was worth it because I go through a standard Samsonite case every 18 months. I'll keep the latest samsonite for other things.

Visually, I think it looks nice, and I think that aluminium cases can take some wear without looking shabby (shabby chic).

I always find it is better to go for a mid to top of the range in any brand rather than the bottom of the range in an expansive brand.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:42 am

i saw a Hartmann Wings 20" rollaboard at a thrift store last weekend. i probably should have bought it... but it seemed too "girly". Diamond jacquard pattern and gold plated zippers and hardware.

i'll say this much... for Hartmann's "top of the line"... the quality paled in comparison to my Briggs and Riley Baseline pieces. thin aluminum poles on the telescoping handle.. the fabric looked like regular polyester... not ballistic.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:10 pm

still have 2 belting leather briefs more than 25 years old (although I don't still use them). modern Hartmann no comparison.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:04 pm

Based on the quality of my last high end Samonsite luggage, I won't buy Hartman either...
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
When I grew up, my parents took me on many trips around the world and we all had the tweed Hartmann bags. They were excellent.

My parents have since moved on and they now only buy Tumi, and I only buy Rimowa.

Both I have found both have excellent warranty. Tumi just replaced one of my parent's suitcases with a brand new one when they sent it in to get a wheel fixed. No cost to them whatsoever.

Rimowa always fixes my stuff for free. Handles, wheels, hammering out dents, new locks, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.