Reload this Page >

New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:35 pm

Thanks, DiggerJim. My method of packing the WF is to layout and fold pants along the length of the bag in the compartment, then use packing cubes for everything else and lay them on top of the pants on one side. Shoes, socks in the shoes, and other stuff on the other side. I've been debating using a packing folder in place of packing cubes for both shirts and pants.Just wish the WF was just one inch longer, then it would be the perfect bag for my style of travel, that's why the interest in the Mini Boss, oh and did I mention those zippers, lol (Tom Bihn uses great zippers, too #10 YKK I think, but love those locking zippers on RO bags)

DiggerJim, How are you liking you're Minaal 2.0 ? Are you getting more use to it and is is going to replace your WF or did you return it?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I wish TB would lose the "Aquaguard" concept and just use regular #10 YKK zippers or the vislon type that Redoxx uses.

My Goruck GR1 and GR2 use the non-aquaguard zippers and just incorporate a flap over the zipper. Ends up being much more water resistant and MUCH easier to zip/unzip.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I wish TB would lose the "Aquaguard" concept and just use regular #10 YKK zippers or the vislon type that Redoxx uses.

My Goruck GR1 and GR2 use the non-aquaguard zippers and just incorporate a flap over the zipper. Ends up being much more water resistant and MUCH easier to zip/unzip.
But the aquaguards look cooler! It may not be as rugged, but for the traveler who doesn't trek through rainy jungles, it serves its purpose.

I once spilled a whole water bottle on my TB Western Flyer. Everything inside, including electronics, stayed dry.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:42 pm

LordHamster, how do you find the Gorucks? I've read in most of your reviews that you use mostly an Airboss and for a while a TB Tristar, and now the mini boss. I know the Gorucks have a great reputation but aren't they quite heavy for their respected classes and they don't have a shoulder strap ? The one thing I hear is that they have a "bombproof" laptop compartment.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by mop71
LordHamster, how do you find the Gorucks? I've read in most of your reviews that you use mostly an Airboss and for a while a TB Tristar, and now the mini boss. I know the Gorucks have a great reputation but aren't they quite heavy for their respected classes and they don't have a shoulder strap ? The one thing I hear is that they have a "bombproof" laptop compartment.
For business trips I like bags in a Mini-Boss form factor because they can go into a client meeting. However for casual trips, or trips where I'll be traversing long terminals (I'm looking at you LHR) then I like the goruck.

I have both a Goruck GR1 and a GR2. I love both, although I find myself traveling mostly with the GR1. The laptop compartment is against your back and is very well padded. This gives the bag a nice balance unlike other bags (osprey) where the laptop is on the outside of the bag. Personally, I LOVE the lack of a hip belt as they just get in the way... and frankly if I pack so much that I need a hip suspension... I'm doing it wrong. I'm not backpacking with a tent and cooking supplies, nor am I leaving Mt. Everest Base camp. I don't need or want a hipbelt.

As for the sternum strap... I bought one that can be attached to the Mole on the shoulder straps... but I never use the darn thing and finally took it off. I took these off my Tom Bihn bags as well. Again, for the weights I carry 15-20lbs at most, these get in the way more than they help.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:39 pm

LordHamster, how much can you get in the GR1 (is it the 26L version) ? The 34L GR2 looks like a great bag for at least a week but it's almost 5lbs empty. As I mentioned, I really like everything about the WF but just wish it were an inch or two longer for more than a weeks worth of clothes for non business trips. That's why I got the TB Aeronaut 30 but I find I can get as much or more in the WF, hence my disappointment with the bag. Maybe it's just the way I pack. What I like about the Aeronaut though, is that it doesn't bulge outward(I fly on a lot of CJs and RJs so small overhead bins) Looking at the dimensions of the GR1, it looks like it may hold more than the WF even though they're both 26L.

Last edited by mop71; Jun 21, 2016 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I need a good bag for 2.5 weeks in India. Thinking about the red oxx skytrain. I'll be rollin off of lots of flights and trains this trip. Too many, so i need a single no nonsense bag that can be carried on. Full service carriers most of the way, air india domestically, but one segment of air asia which might have weight/size restrictions? So the skytrain looks tough enough to not need any protection if checked. My traditional frame packs i'm always worried about tearing of straps so i check it inside a duffle bag.

Any thoughts on if the skytrain is big enough for 2.5 weeks?

Last edited by HGHUA; Jun 21, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by HGHUA
I need a good bad for 2.5 weeks in India. Thinking about the red oxx skytrain. I'll be rollin off of lots of flights and trains this trip. Too many, so i need a single no nonsense bag that can be carried on. Full service carriers most of the way, air india donestically, but one segment of air asia which might have weight/size restrictions? So the skytrain looks tough enough to not need any protection if checked. My traditional frame packs i'm always worried about tearing of straps so i check it inside a duffle bag.

Absolutely. You can EASILY do that with a skytrain. The key in India is to take advantage of the relatively cheap hotel laundry service.... and take less stuff!

Your biggest challenge with the SkyTrain will not be size, but rather the temptation to stuff it. If you stuff it to capacity, it looks huge and is super heavy. Packed modestly, it will serve you VERY well.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Absolutely. You can EASILY do that with a skytrain. The key in India is to take advantage of the relatively cheap hotel laundry service.... and take less stuff!

Your biggest challenge with the SkyTrain will not be size, but rather the temptation to stuff it. If you stuff it to capacity, it looks huge and is super heavy. Packed modestly, it will serve you VERY well.
Sweet, i've got till nov for that trip. In the mean time i bought a mini boss to try out the brand. Arrives thursday. never heard of red oxx until i came across this thread.

Though i must admit sticker shock. Before i used to love timbuk2 bags. Their commute messenger is still a personal favorite. Lets see if the 2x price miniboss can beat my commute for 2 night trips...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:18 am

I need a good bad for 2.5 weeks in India. Thinking about the red oxx skytrain. I'll be rollin off of lots of flights and trains this trip. Too many, so i need a single no nonsense bag that can be carried on. Full service carriers most of the way, air india donestically, but one segment of air asia which might have weight/size restrictions? So the skytrain looks tough enough to not need any protection if checked. My traditional frame packs i'm always worried about tearing of straps so i check it inside a duffle bag.

Depends on what you pack. I have the SkyTrain, and I love it. Like LordHamster said, don't overpack it. Smaller bags are sometimes better because they force you to think carefully about what you want to bring. The SkyTrain, when full, can get really heavy.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:11 pm

Ok so I got the mini boss, first impressions are positive. Not a fan of the claw strap so i ordered that ultimate one. I'll take it on a few trips. If i like it, a Skytrain is next.

BTW: anyone have a suggestion for a bag that can carry my macbook 12in and a few small things like passport keys, etc. I sometimes need this when I leave my main bag somewhere less secure or when I need to check luggage. It needs to be as small as possible, but still fit the macbook and crushable to fit in the main bag (soon to be skytrain)
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:45 pm

Ok so I got the mini boss, first impressions are positive. Not a fan of the claw strap so i ordered that ultimate one. I'll take it on a few trips. If i like it, a Skytrain is next.

BTW: anyone have a suggestion for a bag that can carry my macbook 12in and a few small things like passport keys, etc. I sometimes need this when I leave my main bag somewhere less secure or when I need to check luggage. It needs to be as small as possible, but still fit the macbook and crushable to fit in the main bag (soon to be skytrain)
I use the TB Daylight Briefcase. It fits my 13" MBP, which is a bit tight in the cache.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I use the TB Daylight Briefcase. It fits my 13" MBP, which is a bit tight in the cache.
Agreed. I use the Tom Bihn Daylight briefcase for this same thing sometimes.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:46 am

Sweet, thx
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: US Airways DM- Silver
Agreed. I use the Tom Bihn Daylight briefcase for this same thing sometimes.
I second (or third!!) the TB Daylight Briefcase. I've got an 11" MBA (so not an *exact* match, but close) and absolutely love it as my laptop 'go' bag. I use a Mountainsmith Small Messenger as my iPad 'go' bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.