Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

Just noticed that Redoxx now has a smaller version of their beloved Air Boss, called the Mini Boss.

SEE: http://www.redoxx.com/Shop-by-Gear-I...016/13/Product

This review just posted:

It looks pretty awesome!!!

Last edited by John Isaac; May 1, 2016 at 6:02 pm
Old May 1, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Looks like they finally got the idea of beefing up the XS Aviator since it's roughly the same size but with a lot more bells and whistles, including the strap around the middle and two full-length zippers.
oldpenny16 likes this.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF
I just wish that their Aviator bags came with strap attachment points. I usually travel only with my SkyTrain but if I need the extra space then my Aviator Small comes along as well.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I just wish that their Aviator bags came with strap attachment points. I usually travel only with my SkyTrain but if I need the extra space then my Aviator Small comes along as well.
I long figured Redoxx didn't go down that road because they didn't want to make a $100 bag (as opposed to the $45 XS) when they could get the $225 the Mini Boss is going for.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:21 pm

I watched the video and didn't notice where he packed socks and underwear. Is there more room in the compartment with the eagle creek pack-it folder?
Old May 3, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Air Canada specifies that a personal item can include a backpack, briefcase or laptop computer measuring up to 16 x 33 x 43 cm.
EasyJet Flexi: Maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20cm which will need to be placed under the seat in front.
Conclusion: Mini Boss at 48.3cm L x 16.5cm W x 33cm is personal size! Just don't pack it to the brim.

Last edited by chx1975; May 3, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 12:48 am

I currently use the Air Boss and I am very happy with it. I will certainly look at the mini-boss for shorter trips.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
Conclusion: Mini Boss at 48.3cm L x 16.5cm W x 33cm is personal size! Just don't pack it to the brim.
Given its similar size to the XS Aviator, not surprising. I've used the XS as a personal item on every airline I've flown--it will fit under an airline seat or inside even the smallest bins on regional jets. I'd expect the Mini to work the same way. Like any soft-sided bag, it is possible to exceed the published dimensions if you stuff the bag to the gills.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Comparing the Mini Boss to the XS Aviator is inaccurate---like the proverbial comparison between apples vs. oranges. The Mini Boss is exactly what Redoxx says it is--a smaller (and slightly modified) version of the Air Boss. So the better comparison is between the Air Boss and Mini Boss
Old May 4, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
As usual, Red Oxx customer service is fantastic and I asked yesterday whether my LL-S201A monitor would fit and here's the answer:

We have just made a cardboard cut out with the measurements you provided, and I can tell you it will not fit.
Now that's customer service.

It's 463.8 x 25.2 x 274.8 mm (18 1/4" x 1" x 10 13/16") so that's another pointer towards real size.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Skink
I watched the video and didn't notice where he packed socks and underwear. Is there more room in the compartment with the eagle creek pack-it folder?
I use a Pack-It when I travel and I carry everything - shirts, trousers, underwear and socks in it - I never carry more than 3 shirts, 2 trousers & 3 sets of socks/underwear in the bag (they get re-worn or washed depending on how close to my skin I wear it). Till here advocates for wrapping the the Pack-It with the trousers but I just fold them in and don't suffer wrinkles. Saves me carrying an underwear/sock cube too.

I retired my Air Boss a couple of years ago. Went to a Sky Train and then last year went to a Bihn Western Flyer. The Mini-Boss seems to be about the size/config of the Bihn without the backpack straps. Bigger bags encourage me to bring more stuff that I don't need to carry.

Just got a set of the new Minaal bags. Will know next week how they work out (I travel weekly).
Old May 5, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Skink
Hey folks, I'm the one who made the video so feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'm in India for work at the moment using the bag.

The Eagle creek packing sleeve in the video is the 18inch size they offer. Inside of that I packed two pairs of pants, three business shirts, two undershirts, three pairs of underwear and socks all packed flat. The total width of the packing sleeve when packed that way came out to be about 5-6 inches in the center. I usually have laundry done once per trip on international trips.. On the laptop side of the bag, there also would have been plenty of room for a Tom Bihn Half-cube type packing cube for additional laundry had I needed it. As packed in the video, the bag is at about 75% capacity. I purposely didn't overpack.

I'm finding that the more and more I get into the One bag concept, the less I carry. I used to use my SkyTrain or Goruck Gr2 quite a bit, but lately have been using just a Goruck Gr1 or smaller. This Mini-Boss comes at the perfect time. The lack of backpack straps is a non-issue as I just won't be able to overpack this size bag in the same way I could my air-boss.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Do you wear the same shoes all the time or pack some casual ones?
Old May 5, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by antichef
Do you wear the same shoes all the time or pack some casual ones?
Depends on the trip. On my typical business trips where I'm in the office pretty much all day, I will wear my single set of shows. Generally black leather ecco brand shows. They go well with business clothing but don't look out of place with jeans or cargo pants.

I also travel with a pair of Vibram five fingers (not this trip) that I can use for any workout I might do. They pack down to nothing, and can be worn for any in-hotel workout or even for a run (if I were so inclined).

For this trip my destination isn't formal so I'm wearing a pair of black sketcher gowalk3 shoes. They are light and can pass in an office but also work well for casual. They are also super breathable
Old May 5, 2016, 11:33 am

Thanks so much LordHamster for the video on the Mini Boss. Looks like a really useful size and configuration. I especially like your comment on packing at or under 10% of your body weight. Anything over that is just a pain to carry and look after on a trip. Many airlines limit carryons by weight, which means each item must earn its berth in the bag. For me, it's not the clothes (I can wash clothes in a sink); it's all the other stuff--the camera, notebook, chargers, etc., that take up too much space and weight.

Red Oxx is a fantastic company and I look there first for bags. Like another forum member, I carry the XS Aviator as my personal item. It's large enough to hold the electronic stuff and spare clothes in case the overhead is full and I'm forced to gate check my carryon bag. Always have a plan B if you can!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.