Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Most of the Rolex guys hang out here

www.rolexforums.com

I have a couple, it is a good forum, and a nice group.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm about to start a new job and was thinking about a new watch to celebrate. I'd like there to be something about it that I don't currently have in my ~12 watch collection, but I do seem to be drawn to watches that are similar to those I already have, if only aesthetically. So far the contenders, which are pretty wildly different form each other, are:

- Steinhart Ocean GMT (I don't have a GMT movement, but have several sub/gmt homages)
- Tissot PRC200 Automatic, possibly Chronograph (I don't have a Swiss Automatic or an Automatic Chronograph)
- Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic (Again, Swiss Automatic... would probably put it on weathered brown leather as a Tudor Black Bay homage)
- Citizen AT8110-53E (I don't have an Atomic Time / Time Zone watch, I'd probably put it on thick brown stitched leather and wear it mostly for travel)
- Parnis Sterile GMT Master Homage (GMT, cheapest option,

Thoughts on any of the above? I already have a few Submariner homages (Invicta 8928OB, Seiko SKX009, Casio MDV-106, Fake Rolex GMT Master I thought was Sterile when I bought it on AliExpress). My SKX009 has a solid red bezel insert, so it's leaning towards being a Black Bay homage, though the face is obviously grey/blue. The Steinhart is probably pulling me the hardest as I've wanted an auto GMT for awhile and there really aren't any other homages besides the Parnis options.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:01 am

Bite the bullet and get a sub. It's a special occasin and you will remember it 20 years from now.

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'm about to start a new job and was thinking about a new watch to celebrate. I'd like there to be something about it that I don't currently have in my ~12 watch collection, but I do seem to be drawn to watches that are similar to those I already have, if only aesthetically. So far the contenders, which are pretty wildly different form each other, are:

- Steinhart Ocean GMT (I don't have a GMT movement, but have several sub/gmt homages)
- Tissot PRC200 Automatic, possibly Chronograph (I don't have a Swiss Automatic or an Automatic Chronograph)
- Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic (Again, Swiss Automatic... would probably put it on weathered brown leather as a Tudor Black Bay homage)
- Citizen AT8110-53E (I don't have an Atomic Time / Time Zone watch, I'd probably put it on thick brown stitched leather and wear it mostly for travel)

Thoughts on any of the above? I already have a few Submariner homages (Invicta 8928OB, Seiko SKX009, Casio MDV-106, Fake Rolex GMT Master I thought was Sterile when I bought it on AliExpress). My SKX009 has a solid red bezel insert, so it's leaning towards being a Black Bay homage, though the face is obviously grey/blue. The Steinhart is probably pulling me the hardest as I've wanted an auto GMT for awhile and there really aren't any other homages besides the Parnis options.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:05 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver

Thoughts?
I think the Steinhart and the Parnis are not so much homages as the product of wholesale copying.

What about a Hamilton Khaki GMT? It's in the same ballpark as the Steinhart but it's a proper Swiss brand with a lot of history, solid ETA movement and the Khaki has its own proprietary "design language."

Amazon.com: Hamilton Men's H77615833 Khaki Navy GMT Automatic Watch: Hamilton: Watches Amazon.com: Hamilton Men's H77615833 Khaki Navy GMT Automatic Watch: Hamilton: Watches

I don't have one but I am quite a fan of them. You get a lot of watch for your money, it has a distinctive look that does not borrow too heavily from someone else's design.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: *G

Thoughts?
try one of these

http://www.fratellowatches.com/photo...three-fathoms/
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Coolcamden
Bite the bullet and get a sub. It's a special occasin and you will remember it 20 years from now.
I'm guessing a Submariner or GMT Master will be more of a BIG bonus buy (probably after the next house is built and the Corvette is in the garage). It's not reasonable to stretch from ~$550 on the high end to ~$8k+.

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I think the Steinhart and the Parnis are not so much homages as the product of wholesale copying.
The Parnis I agree with you 100% but that's pretty much the definition of homage in the watch world these days, especially where steriles are concerned. The original Rolex Submariner would be either a homage or a wholesale copy of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms by that definition. The Steinhart is less a copy than the Parnis and is also elevated by its build quality and movement. Would the Steinhart Ocean line exist if the Rolex Submariner and GMT Maser didn't? Absolutely not. But then again, would the Omega Ocean Master, Speedmaster, etc?

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
What about a Hamilton Khaki GMT? It's in the same ballpark as the Steinhart but it's a proper Swiss brand with a lot of history, solid ETA movement and the Khaki has its own proprietary "design language."

Amazon.com: Hamilton Men's H77615833 Khaki Navy GMT Automatic Watch: Hamilton: Watches

I don't have one but I am quite a fan of them. You get a lot of watch for your money, it has a distinctive look that does not borrow too heavily from someone else's design.
I'm not against a Hamilton but would probably consider a Khaki Field Automatic or Khaki Officer's if I were to go that direction.

Originally Posted by deniah
I'm happy with my SKX009 and SNA411, but I'm probably looking for something non-Seiko unless I went for a SARB.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:43 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
For daily workwear I have a Cartier Tank Francaise in steel and gold. I also have a knockoff of the same watch in steel for when I have to travel to not-so-nice areas for work. For play, I have a number of inexpensive fashion watches. For sports, I use generic dive watches with Japanese movement.

My family also has a tradition of gifting watches for life events and I was lucky enough to have received both a Rolex and a different Cartier. However, I do not wear either of them.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir

Thoughts?
If it's the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT you're considering I can thoroughly recommend it. Well made and tough, wears as easily with a suit as a wetsuit. I've had one for about five years and always enjoy wearing it. Great travel watch.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by RobCH
If it's the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT you're considering I can thoroughly recommend it. Well made and tough, wears as easily with a suit as a wetsuit. I've had one for about five years and always enjoy wearing it. Great travel watch.
It's the Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Black, which is their GMT Master-II homage that I'm looking at. The Ocean Vintage GMT is their Explorer-II homage.

I might also consider the Ocean One Vintage which is a Tudor Black Bay homage, which is a mash-up homage of the original 1954 Tudor Submariner and 1968 Tudor Snow Flake Submariner, which were themselves in-house Rolex Submariner homages and thus followed the Blancpain 50 Fathoms.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Baselworld is here!!!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:25 am

Lightbulb

I use a Fitbit Flex (€100). I don't care about the time, as much as I do about my heart rate, which is the only reason I own one.

My body knows when I am stressed, well before my mind is aware of it, so I wanna be able to look at my wrist and go "Alright fam, this noisy situation is too much for my senses, I'm heading back to the hotel"
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
It's the Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Black, which is their GMT Master-II homage that I'm looking at. The Ocean Vintage GMT is their Explorer-II homage.

I might also consider the Ocean One Vintage which is a Tudor Black Bay homage, which is a mash-up homage of the original 1954 Tudor Submariner and 1968 Tudor Snow Flake Submariner, which were themselves in-house Rolex Submariner homages and thus followed the Blancpain 50 Fathoms.
I'm quite taken with the new Ocean Two model.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Cartier ss/gold tank francaise, panthere or shinola Gomelsky. I have a happy cat swatch knock off and a few 1990 swatches I should consider adding to the collection. I wear a timex digital for training, but hate trying to change the time.

I still use a clip onto my bra Fitbit.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:16 am

I just switched from the Fitbit Flex to the new Fitbit Alta, which has a time/date display. Since the state of women's watches is so dire (i.e., only a quartz movement in my PP Twenty-4), I've started wearing watches from the good doctor's inventory instead.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by greg99
I'm not saying that this is why you should get a Rolex, but it does get you attention.

If you live the Attention Lifestyle, the Rolex is the watch to have.

BJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.