Reload this Page >

What to help me relax on the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to help me relax on the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:13 pm

I love the internet. OP asks which of three options would be preferable and gets multiple responses that don't answer the question posed.

The answer to the question is Ativan. Of the three drugs listed, there is no question that it is the best option for anxiety.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
I love the internet. OP asks which of three options would be preferable and gets multiple responses that don't answer the question posed.
Actually 3/15 answered the question. You, me and one other. That's not a bad ratio considering the subject matter. The self-righteous can't resist lecturing against the evils of drugs, even when prescribed, every chance they get.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Actually 3/15 answered the question. You, me and one other. That's not a bad ratio considering the subject matter. The self-righteous can't resist lecturing against the evils of drugs, even when prescribed, every chance they get.
It's sad to think that considering a 20% hit rate good is probably appropriate....

Though I do love the notion that someone with a genuine anxiety problem might be helped by walking around the terminal. Nothing says "stress relief" like controlled chaos in a confined space containing thousands of people!@:-)
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
There are some types of beverages which when consumed reasonably can cause a state of relaxation.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle
Knitting.
Sudoko.
Crossword puzzles.
Good books.
Hikes up and down the aisle.
Travel guides for destination.
+1000 to your non-drug suggestions. I don't get nervous on flights but I've found crossword puzzles to be an amazing way to pass the time. I can't believe how much shorter international flights feel now. A book would be likewise absorbing.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:24 pm

Long time lurker..finally registered to answer this..
I've made great strides in getting over my fear of flying by doing a few things:
1. IN FLIGHT WIFI--this for me is HUGE. Something about a connection to the ground makes me feel better..especially being able to message people.
2. Tell the FAs that you're nervous. This has scored me free food and drinks! Once we reach cruise altitude, I usually get up, go to the bathroom, and strike up a convo with the FAs
3. Xanax-but the day before. I've learned that most of my anxiety for flying is Anticipatory Anxiety.

Good luck!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Within the cabinet you've described, you have all the tools you need. You likely know that but I respect the restraint. Melatonin does wonders also, in fact, but I prefer to subdue the vivid dreams.

I know nothing about Flexeril or how it would fit into the recipe. The only sensible and diligent thing to add is to watch the alcohol.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
An edible a few hours before the flight !!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by anaggie
An edible a few hours before the flight !!
Good idea. Maybe something with a large amount of sugar. After the initial buzz, the subsequent insulin release will be sleep-inducing.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:33 am
Suspended

It's pretty obvious many people have not dealt with severe anxiety when the best that you can offer is eat something sweet, do a crossword and listen to Enya.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: DL, AA
It's pretty obvious many people have not dealt with severe anxiety when the best that you can offer is eat something sweet, do a crossword and listen to Enya.
I can relate to severe anxiety. I was a cool-cucumber flyer until one airplane
landed on another at LAX in 1991(?) USAir 1493. We had a flight the
next morning out of ONT. ACCDraw.2 had to "premedicate" me with shots of
tequila before I would agree to step foot on the plane. After that, the tiniest
little air ripple or unusual noise made me jumpy, I was a champion
white-knuckle-flyer for many years.

The best thing I ever did was read everything I could about air safety systems,
flying, how they test wings (super cool stuff on YouTube), weather, etc. Try googling
"Ask A Delta Pilot" - fantastic information. A great book on weather, is "Oceans in the Sky."
The chapter on turbulence helped me understand what causes all the chop;
took the fear quotient way down.

I don't like turbulence, but it doesn't scare the hell out of me anymore. The worst
part is feeling disconnected from the seat, and not having a fixed visual reference
outside the aircraft.

When the air gets so rough that galley dishes are crashing about, I'm the one strapped
tight to the seat, staring out the window. I've decided it feels a lot like skiing moguls (which I enjoy).
The abrupt creaking noises kind of get to me sometimes - that's why I'll silently hum,
or listen to something soothing.

PDB = premedication
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACCDraw
I was a champion white-knuckle-flyer for many years.

The best thing I ever did was read everything I could about air safety systems, flying, how they test wings (super cool stuff on YouTube), weather, etc.
My story is similar. I too was a very nervous flier and went through a similar process in the 1980's when I accepted a job that required a significant amount flying ranging from small planes in remote areas to transoceanic flights. With education, information and desensitization I eventually got past it and now enjoy flying even the very bumpy flights. In the first year of that job however the occasional Ativan got me through.

People who are afraid to fly should not be dissuaded from responsibly using anti-anxiety medication by self-righteous moralists who attempt to convince nervous fliers that candy bars, crosswords and Enya are good substitutes for Ativan.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL, AA
My story is similar. I too was a very nervous flier and went through a similar process in the 1980's when I accepted a job that required a significant amount flying ranging from small planes in remote areas to transoceanic flights. With education, information and desensitization I eventually got past it and now enjoy flying even the very bumpy flights. In the first year of that job however the occasional Ativan got me through.

People who are afraid to fly should not be dissuaded from responsibly using anti-anxiety medication by self-righteous moralists who attempt to convince nervous fliers that candy bars, crosswords and Enya are good substitutes for Ativan.
^^^
Whatever it takes to get through crud - we're all different.
BTW, I'm one of those who will actually talk to you if you're
nervous, and I'll try to make you laugh, cuz I need a giggle too!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:17 pm

I have used Ativan. I was given a bottle and told, "Take two whenever you need them"..

I would strongly urge that you not drug yourself, especially when you don't have several hours sleep on the plane. I try to avoid driving or doing anything which requires my full attention. I would not want to start a vacation or work period while drugged, even if I was used to it.

Alternatively, if you must drug yourself, have a nice glass of whiskey before you get on the plane. I think the therapeutic effect of a nice glass of wine or spirits in moderation are more effective than taking a powerful drug.

If you must take something, take an Atavin. Do not experiment with strange combinations just for travel.

I work with an alcoholic (several actually). He doesn't take anything stronger than a Coke, but when we travel, he will generally drink a tonic water before boarding to settle his stomach and it works for him as a way to relax his mind.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If you are going to use drugs, I would at least try them once at home to see what happens. If they happen to turn you into a zombie for 24+ hours, you do not want to find out when traveling.

And, by the way, why not do some over the counter stuff in the first place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.