Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What to help me relax on the plane?

Old Jan 8, 16, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I have a 6 hour flight coming up and I'm not a good flyer.... I have prescriptions of Ambien, Flexeril, and Ativan. I normally would take Ambien but my flight isn't a red eye. Which of these is best for a flight that leaves during the morning?
Old Jan 9, 16, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by JustineG View Post
I have a 6 hour flight coming up and I'm not a good flyer.... I have prescriptions of Ambien, Flexeril, and Ativan. I normally would take Ambien but my flight isn't a red eye. Which of these is best for a flight that leaves during the morning?
Beyond your prescriptions, I think we need to have more details like what you mean by relaxed. Are you looking to just stay calm? Or are you looking to keep yourself entertained?

Would also help if we knew more about your flight... Are you in J? Y? International? Regional?

Note, I would probably stay away from the drugs if at all possible. You might get some un-intended side effects (not specifically drug side effects).
Old Jan 9, 16, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Xanax
Old Jan 9, 16, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Knitting.

Sudoko.

Crossword puzzles.

Good books.

Hikes up and down the aisle.

Travel guides for destination.
Old Jan 9, 16, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT something or other
Stay away from caffeine for 2-3 days before you fly, have your favorite calm or relaxation music on your (charged up) "device" (or an audiobook) -- with extra power brick as backup in case the plane doesn't provide electric outlet, eyeshades if you want to zone out to the music, and bring along a couple of non-caffeine herbal tea bags if that's your thing (or drink hot water with lemon instead of caffeined tea or coffee). Stay hydrated - 8 oz. of water per hour is the goal I have heard (so board with a bottle of water that you can get FAs to refill) Even though it's a daytime flight, a pillow can help make you more comfortable/relaxed. Trip planning material is a great idea.

And consider, instead of the heavy drugs, a mildly sedating OTC antihistamine, like low-dose Benadryl - it's enough (with eyeshade and earplugs) to enable me to sleep on a redeye, without leaving a drugged feeling. Sleeping on a daytime flight's not such a bad idea.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 9, 16, 4:43 pm

Miss out on a couple hours of sleep the day before. Work out a lot the same day. Be sure to walk as much as you can. Be sure to reserve a window seat. Get on plane, stick in earplugs, listen to some chillout music while reading a book. This pretty much gets me asleep by takeoff....
Old Jan 10, 16, 7:06 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I'm guessing from your other posts that this flight is the LAX to Maui one?

When at the airport before departure, don't just sit. Walk to the end of the airport in one direction and then the other. As many times as you can before you have to board.

For earplugs, I particularly like the Howard Leights with cords. Most comfortable and effective I've found. You can pull one out to hear the flight attendant. The flight attendant can see by the cord that you need to do so. You can't drop it on the floor. But when the plugs are in, for some reason the actually speaker announcements can almost always be heard.

At least try your seat neighbor. You might find somebody so interesting the flight will pass in no time. It happens. Worth a shot. Maybe they are even more nervous than you, and you can forget your nervousness in trying to help them. You can always plug in those earplugs, pull on that mask, and shut down if you decide you have nothing interesting in common.

Last edited by Romelle; Jan 10, 16 at 8:41 am
Old Jan 10, 16, 10:53 am

Have you tried more natural way such as playing sounds on your headphones?

Here's a nice topic about natural sounds and stress: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2872309/

And here's a kickass background sound generator: http://www.moodil.com
Old Jan 12, 16, 6:33 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Drugs are not for me.

I've always been nervous about taking drugs on a flight... maybe it's the helicopter egress survival training or the stories about frisky passengers seated next to you or the time I was in a plane that skidded off the tarmac; all occasions where one does not want to be in a groggy state of mind.

What about an intense work out before heading to the airport. A vigorous vinyasa yoga followed by the appropriate cool down / meditation always puts me in a calm frame of mind.
Old Jan 13, 16, 4:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
I'll be the voice for drugs....

I think people have offered you some good non-drug options. I've tried them all, and for me, none of them are especially effective.

Although on FT I think it's a badge of shame to admit this, I'm not a particularly great flyer. I'm not scared of flying per se, but I HATE turbulence. I tried for years to manage it myself with music, distracting myself, on and on. I would get off a flight that experienced turbulence and would be completely wrung out.

Finally, I asked my doctor what he recommended. He gave me a very low dose of Ativan -- apparently, what he gave his daughter who experiences the same thing. I find it helps me manage the anxiety if the flight is turbulent, but doesn't leave me groggy or at risk of acting the way Ambien apparently does for some people.

Just another option for you.

I will now retreat to a cone of shame....
Old Jan 13, 16, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by JustineG View Post
6 hours isn't a long flight, especially if you break it down into its phases.

Gate to cruise takes 45 minutes. Cruise to descent takes 45 minutes. Meal takes an hour. The remaining 3.5 hours you watch 2 movies or binge watch 4 episodes of a TV show.

Drugs aren't needed. Just some iTunes downloads and a good pair of headphones.

BJ
Old Jan 13, 16, 9:36 am

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
6 hours isn't a long flight, especially if you break it down into its phases.

[snip]

Drugs aren't needed. Just some iTunes downloads and a good pair of headphones.
That 6 hour flight (or 3.5 hours or however its broken down) can be an absolute hellish eternity for someone who isn't comfortable with flying. (And unfortunately, doing more flying will not necessarily "cure" the issue.)

If someone can manage their anxiety with music and headphones, or meditation, or exercise that's great. All excellent choices. But people are different, and some people may find the appropriate drug used correctly is the best -- or even the only-- option that works for them. Lots of options... no reason people shouldn't consider them all and select the one or more that's right for them.
Old Jan 14, 16, 7:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Ativan. Of the three choices available it's the one best suited to treat anxiety. Ambien is a sedative. Flexeril is a muscle relaxant/anti-spasmodic. Because the flight is short you might consider half of your usual dose.

Ignore the recommendations about mediation, soothing music, ear plugs, talking to your neighbour and the other new-age solutions being offered here.

Pharmaceutical companies invest billions of dollars developing products for situations such as yours. Use as directed and only when necessary.
Old Jan 15, 16, 11:20 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Watermark by Enya - that album could relax me through anything. Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 16, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
One crucial question

Are these prescriptions you have SOLELY for flying? Or do you take them for other reasons? I ask partly because I like to stay away from medical advice, but also it would make a difference if you take any of these on a regular basis. For example, I find Flexoril a strange rx for flight anxiety.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: