Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: EBG, Bonvoy Silver
Tom Bihn TriStar would be the single choice. If I can combine another bag and still have it carry-on, then the Tom Bihn Co-pilot is excellent. Tristar for the bulkier stuff and clothes, Co-pilot for the things I want in the cabin (book, iPad mini, cables, etc).

This is my everyday travel choice, and I normally mount it all on one of those Go Travel luggage trolleys to give me the wheels if I need it. It all folds up for storing in the overhead, and I've never been asked to gate-check it.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:00 pm

I've taken a 4-week backpacking trip almost every year for nearly 2 decades, always with an Eagle Creek bag that's a combination of a main bag and detachable day pack. The current version seems to be the 60L Deviate; I bought my last one (a Rincon) a couple of years ago.

The quality and design have gone a tad downhill over the years (the zipper connecting the two bags has needed fixing on both my current one and the previous one, and overall compartment access has gotten a little awkward), but for several-weeks-long backpacking, they're still the best I've seen. I've walked for miles at a time with them and they're comfortable. I love being able to leave most stuff in the hotel and take a small bag around all day, or even overnight if I do a quick camping tour where camping supplies are provided. And on a plane I can keep the day pack under my seat and put the main bag in the overhead compartment.

Now if only I could find better small combination locks to keep them secure...

Seth
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:50 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
I have done carry-on only travel for several years now, both for fun and business, it's the only way to travel. I find I can e.g. usually get 30+ minutes more sleep after a flight if I don't need to wait for baggage, and just the freedom from huge bags gives a lot of mobility and flexibility, etc.

I have three main bags from which I choose for each trip:

Short trips and/or just laptop and not much extra work stuff:

1. Tom Bihn Western flyer. Fits couple of days clothes and stuff. Sometimes I feel this is a bit small, perhaps should have gone for the TriStar.

Longer trips or more work-related electronics with me:

2. If there is a regional smaller plane, to avoid risk of gate check-in: Red Oxx Air Boss, fits few days' clothes, laptop and work-related stuff.

3. If there are only big planes, or more than one week trip: IT luggage "world lightest" 2-wheel max-carryon size 21" wheeled bag. This bag, with wheels, weighs only as little as the Air Boss (1.5kg, about 3.5 pounds), so works OK for even European travel with low weight limits.

For long trips I wash clothes myself or use the hotel laundry every few days.

For shoulder bags, I use Tom Bihn's Absolute shoulder straps -- this shoulder strap is really amazing and makes even a heavier bag much easier to carry around. The strap is a bit flexible softening the feel for your shoulder. Even if you get the Red Oxx (or any other manufacturer) bag, get the Tom Bihn Absolute strap for it.

PS. I was just thinking when I last checked something in, it was a bag-size cardboard box of foodstuffs from Korea... Sure was funny to see that come out first with the priority tags at the arrival baggage claim ;-) But normally, even if I could check-in 2 bags for free, I never do.

Note: Just a happy customer of the mentioned products.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Oh, see I thought this was a man on an island scenario.

I was gonna say my laptop bag with some clean underwear stuffed in it. Cuz undies you know...and laptop cuz I figure anything else I need I can search online once I arrive.

But yeah, if you're just looking for bag recommendations, the B&R expandable is good. I'm not gonna say it was the best $500 I ever spent. I'm cheap and that hurt to click purchase on, but it is a good product. If you're not gonna use it a lot, I'd probably spend 80-100 and get something cheaper.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by annieway
Osprey Farpoint 40. It's a convertible backpack but differs from most in that it has a very lightweight frame and a comfortable waist belt. I travel to Europe for business almost monthly sometimes for up to 3 weeks at a time and this, along with my purse, is all I bring. I use trains extensively. I've had several of the other bags mentioned but don't use them any more.

The frame and waist belt take the weight off my shoulders and I could walk forever with this bag.
Agree on all counts. Convertible trolley/backpack with a good waist belt to take the weight in backpack mode is the way to go indeed. I have a Jack Wolfskin Trek & Roll 50 for that purpose, and I love it. It has accompanied me on several hundred thousand miles' of travel all around the world including some moderate hiking, and has held up very well.
Two caveats: At 59 x 35 x 25 cm, it definitely is longer than some/most airlines' carry-on policies allow (although I`ve never been questioned, even on easyjet), and the telescoping handle is too flimsy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.