FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:22 am
bhomburg

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by annieway
Osprey Farpoint 40. It's a convertible backpack but differs from most in that it has a very lightweight frame and a comfortable waist belt. I travel to Europe for business almost monthly sometimes for up to 3 weeks at a time and this, along with my purse, is all I bring. I use trains extensively. I've had several of the other bags mentioned but don't use them any more.

The frame and waist belt take the weight off my shoulders and I could walk forever with this bag.
Agree on all counts. Convertible trolley/backpack with a good waist belt to take the weight in backpack mode is the way to go indeed. I have a Jack Wolfskin Trek & Roll 50 for that purpose, and I love it. It has accompanied me on several hundred thousand miles' of travel all around the world including some moderate hiking, and has held up very well.
Two caveats: At 59 x 35 x 25 cm, it definitely is longer than some/most airlines' carry-on policies allow (although I`ve never been questioned, even on easyjet), and the telescoping handle is too flimsy.