Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

RFID Wallet or Sleeves?? Do I really need one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RFID Wallet or Sleeves?? Do I really need one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:44 am

Just slip a credit-card shaped piece of aluminum foil in your wallet and you'll be fine. Shouldn't be enough metal to piss off a metal detector at the airport yet will have the desired effect. Similarly, carrying one of the metal Chase cards in my wallet keeps my Wells-Fargo RFID credit card from working.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:09 am

Like others have said, check to see if your cards are actually contactless before you start looking too hard. We currently have ~45 credit cards (thanks, FT) and not a single one of them is contactless. In fact, the only contactless card we've ever had (out of ~80 total) was an Amex that was contactless when I got it, but that functionality was removed when I got my first replacement card.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:03 am

Please explain "contactless."
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If you want free sleeves, hotels that use RFID key cards usually place them in RFID-blocking sleeves. If you stay at one, just ask for a few more (I noticed this at the Hyatt Regency Istanbul Atakoy, which may be inconvenient for some, but I'm sure you local Hyatt may have them too).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Baybreezes
As far as cards go there are:
magnetic strip = swipe
embedded chip with electrical contacts = plug-in
embedded chip with wireless connectivity = contactless
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Baybreezes
They are cards that use RFID technology to connect with a reader to allow payment by just waving the card close (about a half inch or less away). The most common ones are "Visa PayWave" and "Mastercard PayPass" -- a card that has this RFID technology will have a wave symbol
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:43 pm

Thanks for explaining. I have the plug-in type.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:42 pm

I was looking at getting an RFID blocking sleeve or wallet, and all these products on amazon with hundreds or thousands of reviews, most accumulated from free products in exchange for a review - and each with only a handful of reviewers that were actually able to test the RFID - and of those it seems like half say it work, and half say it doesn't.

Even if it's encrypted, I don't want someone with a skimmer in a foreign country being able to pull anything from me.

Has anyone seen an officially tested list of options? I don't trust any of the products listed as bestsellers on Amazon.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ttrevi88
I was looking at getting an RFID blocking sleeve or wallet, and all these products on amazon with hundreds or thousands of reviews, most accumulated from free products in exchange for a review - and each with only a handful of reviewers that were actually able to test the RFID - and of those it seems like half say it work, and half say it doesn't.

Even if it's encrypted, I don't want someone with a skimmer in a foreign country being able to pull anything from me.

Has anyone seen an officially tested list of options? I don't trust any of the products listed as bestsellers on Amazon.
Not officially anything, but I have tested my RFID blocking sleeves, and I know they work. Frankly, aluminum foil would work too, so you don't need to buy any complicated or secret technology. Testing was easy - I tried to make a contactless transaction with it in the sleeve, and it didn't work.

I think I bought mine off of ebay - 10 sleeves for about $5 (with free shipping). With repeated use of moving the card in and out, I find the edges start to fray after about a year.....but since they're only 50 cents each, I throw it out and get a new one from my pile.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:00 pm

Since pretty much every card in my wallet is contactless, I can't make any purchase (or metro ride) by tapping my wallet any more, as the readers get confused. Surely the skimmers would have the same issue? Could a potential easier solution just to put all contactless cards next to each other?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SirJman
Could a potential easier solution just to put all contactless cards next to each other?
Exactly the solution I suggested back in post #7 in this thread.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by SirJman
Since pretty much every card in my wallet is contactless, I can't make any purchase (or metro ride) by tapping my wallet any more, as the readers get confused. Surely the skimmers would have the same issue? Could a potential easier solution just to put all contactless cards next to each other?
Yes, as was mentioned before.....but only for those who have several of them, and for those who only carry them together. Some people (like me) occasionally separate them out and only carry one. (And in some places like the US there are not many distributed, so someone may only have one.)

It's good to know about the options.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:23 pm

I'm considering carrying an RFID blocking card like this
Amazon Amazon
in my wallet, prices vary from a couple dollars to more than 10 bucks. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by boboqui
I'm considering carrying an RFID blocking card like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPGYTW2...v_ov_lig_dp_it in my wallet, prices vary from a couple dollars to more than 10 bucks. Any suggestions?
Don't bother. If you're that concerned about it and have one card, get a sleeve. If you have multiple cards they will create multiple fields that will confuse anything trying to read them.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by boboqui
I'm considering carrying an RFID blocking card like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPGYTW2...v_ov_lig_dp_it in my wallet, prices vary from a couple dollars to more than 10 bucks. Any suggestions?
I've been using a Ridge Wallet for the last few years. Never had any issues since I got it. I've also traveled to a bunch of places all around the world in that time. Whatever you do, goes without saying don't ever, ever use your debit card for purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.