Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Laundry while travelling - Portable drying rack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laundry while travelling - Portable drying rack?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I also have a collapsing bucket that takes up no room and works really well when you have a too tiny sink.
^
It also frees up the too tiny sink from laundry while it is soaking.

I bring this travel sink http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...=0&o2=0&o3=193 I like that it has a large opening for faster air drying. It is also shallow and wide enough for an impromptu foot soak with a wet towel.

Some alternatives are 2 gallon ziplock, dry bag, or scrubba dry bag washing gadget hybrid. Scrubba is also making a backpack https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...daypack#/story

Ultrasil travel sink = 1.7 oz. Scrubba = 5 oz.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: US Gold
I love the braided rubber tubing clothesline I have - it has a loop at each end. It isn't, but looks a lot like, the Steves clothesline here:
Amazon Amazon
. I've had it for years (it's basically braided surgical rubber tubing). You don't need clothespins because you can catch a bit of the fabric inside the braid, and it's very light and takes up little space.

Re fast-drying underwear: I'd say to forget the synthetic high-performance stuff (which tends to start to smell rapidly). Go for silk, the original high-performance fabric: feels wonderful, dries fast, comfortable in all sorts of temperatures. www.wintersilks.com has a fine selection.

wg
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:00 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Depending on the type of clothes you bring, you might need a
clothes line clothes line
, hanging clips or even a sweater dryer. I used to have a compact folding one that somehow got lost in a move. I replaced it with one of those
pop-up mesh drying racks pop-up mesh drying racks
that is much lighter. The only problem might be that certain security agents are a bit special and can't figure out how to collapse it after they've popped it out of the suitcase for inspection. and then the inanimate object suddenly becomes "threatening"

Last edited by tcl; Aug 20, 2015 at 9:01 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've found that the gizmos handed out a meetings that clip to your meeting badge are very handy (And light weight) for hanging laundry yo dry in hotel rooms. I loop the cloth string thingee over the shower rail or towel rank, thread it through itself and use the clip to hold socks or whatever needs to dry. I keep 4 of these things in my travel kit.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
http://www.rei.com/product/804639/rei-clothesline

Just get one of these.

Where are you traveling? Many mid-range US hotels have washers/dryers. La Quinta very often has them. So do Motel 6, but I doubt you want to go that direction.
I had a similar one but just made my own using NiteIze from REI. The figure 9 and some 3.5 mm cord, doubled up, works pretty well. I use about 16 feet of cord for up to an 8-foot line. These things are a but more complicated but once you figure them out they have tons of other uses.
nite-ize-figure-9-rope-tightener-single-small
They have another variant with cord included:
figure-9-carabiner-rope-tightener-with-3.5mm-cord-package-of-2
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
FYI, just clicked through to see what these look like, and they're currently on sale for $2.93 (from $7.50).
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Beyond my technical abilities.

Originally Posted by AATrout
I had a similar one but just made my own using NiteIze from REI. The figure 9 and some 3.5 mm cord, doubled up, works pretty well. I use about 16 feet of cord for up to an 8-foot line. These things are a but more complicated but once you figure them out they have tons of other uses.
nite-ize-figure-9-rope-tightener-single-small
They have another variant with cord included:
figure-9-carabiner-rope-tightener-with-3.5mm-cord-package-of-2
Thanks for posting this. I can't go much beyond clips and elastic.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:03 pm

I'm trying to find compact drying rack to get it with me when Im travelling. But I couldn't find that one. Have you ever saw that one? I meen it should be much smaller than items selling on AMZ... What is your thoughts? Is it good idea to get such item?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

someone should make a drying rack that collapses/breaks down into small

might be possible to take a normal one and turn it into pieces

very interesting thread, great replies, maybe drying rack will get posted in future
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
someone should make a drying rack that collapses/breaks down into small

might be possible to take a normal one and turn it into pieces
I have three (non-travel) ones--two metal and one wood, all "full-sized." The wooden one is, of course, lighter. However, having had its predecessor fall apart on me all the time (hence its replacement with a second metal one), I can't recommend taking it apart and putting it back together.

You absolutely could break down at least one of the metal ones, though (from Amazon Basics). All that's holding it together is a bunch of Philips head screws.

Last edited by fwoomp; Aug 20, 2016 at 12:48 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:55 pm

Folding clothes hangers

I do sink laundry and blot most of the water with a towel. Then I use plastic folding hangers (very cheap, $4.52 at the moment, and easy to tuck into a suitcase) to air dry. Amazon had them; just search for folding travel clothes hangers. Mine came in a pack of four in pink, blue, green, and yellow, "Kloud City".
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM
For extended trips:
1. I bring mostly quick-dry clothing when possible
2. I'll wash with a Scrubba wash bag
3. Dry with towels as others mentioned
4. Hang overnight

Admittedly, I slowly accumulated the specialized travel wardrobe to do this over a few years. I'm not sure I would have invested in all the gear right off the bat for a single trip.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
One thing I acquired that I now love for doing sink laundry on the road: I received one of those super-absorbent hair towels as a gift from my blow-out place. It's medium sized (meant to wrap around your head, obviously) and truly super absorbent. I use it now after washing things in the sink. I wring them out carefully to squeeze out all the excess water. Then, I place them (one or two at time, depending on size) in the towel, and really do a squeeze, usually over the tub (just in case). By the time this is done, things like my underwear are close to dry.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
My experience is that if you ball things up small enough to get them into a sink, they get very wrinkled. And then rolling them up in a towel to get most of the water out just makes it worse. So even if you leave it hanging overnight, it's clean & maybe dry, but it's a wrinkled mess. So you end up having to iron everything.

Compare that to doing a load of laundry in an actual washer dryer, where things come out relatively wrinkle free (as long as you fold them quickly).

Maybe handy for undergarments/socks, but I don't think those items are so bulky that people only pack 2 pairs for a multi week trip.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:55 am

I've picked up lots of good ideas on Doug Dyment's site, though I doubt he's news to readers of this board.

On laundry, specifically:

http://www.onebag.com/packing-list-laundry.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.