Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Laundry while travelling - Portable drying rack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laundry while travelling - Portable drying rack?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Platinum
I have one of these, for camping and traveling: http://www.rei.com/product/807452/se...ne-clothesline

It's not as stretchy as Doc Savages clothesline, can hold heavier clothes in a pinch.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:08 am

Most of my travel is on a cruise and this is my method. The best clothing I find for hand washing is those that don't wrinkle and dry quickly. For equipment I take some clothespins with hooks, inflatable hangers, and Campsuds for laundry soap. On a cruise ship there are many places in the bathroom to hang things on is why it take clothespins with hooks. Inflatable hangers allow better air circulation for your shirts to dry faster. Since they are inflatable they don't take up much room in your luggage. I take 2 of these.

After washing I roll the washed clothing in a towel to remove as much moisture as possible and hang them. By the next morning it is dry and ready for use again.

Shak
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jafrelin
I do this all the time the towel trick helps. also you can get some camping underwear which will dry in about 4 hours
Ex Officio makes underwear that looks like "normal" underwear but dries super fast. They're often easy to find on Sierra Trading Post in a discontinued color for far below regular retail.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I once purchased some special fast drying travel underware. I found that it dried more slowly than my normal underwear. Plus it was ugly and seemed to take more space and weight in my suitcase. Never again.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:36 am

I always bring plastic pants hangers with clips. Many hotels get upset if you do laundry in your room, so you have to be a bit incognito. The easiest way is to wash small batches each night, as washing in the sink can become quite a chore.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by firecracker725
Many hotels get upset if you do laundry in your room, so you have to be a bit incognito.
Really? Why? I've never encountered this.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I love ex officio underwear. It dries quickly. I use the towel to squeeze extra water out.

I have bought clothes lines and clothes pins. I never go to a laundromat. I usually can find a laundry which is much more reasonable than the hotel. I pack for a week and am usually gone for 5. Europe is harder to find laundries than other places, tho. Check the internet for laundries where you are going.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:57 am

I am another fan of ExOfficio underwear and travel shirts too.

Shak
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by firecracker725
I always bring plastic pants hangers with clips. Many hotels get upset if you do laundry in your room, so you have to be a bit incognito. The easiest way is to wash small batches each night, as washing in the sink can become quite a chore.
Once I had small hotel in Germany get very upset. I also stayed in a place in Australia that had a laundry but insisted that everything go into the dryer rather than letting any wet things be hung in the bathroom to dry naturally.

OTOH, some hotels have a retractable clothesline over the bath tub or are willing to supply woolite. Either one seems to signal to me that doing laundry openly is OK.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have ex officio, terramar & smartwool underwear - love them all for travel. Basic bikini or hipster style for women, purchased at Sierra Trading Post. Especially when they're having a 40% off sale.

I typically do laundry in my room and use towel racks or a clothesline if available for drying. Sometimes pants hangers with hooks (used last weekend in NYC). Had a great travel clothesline but lost it in a move ages ago and want to replace it. Ends are difficult though - suction cups aren't always going to work. Husband says just bring paracord and we'll tie it somewhere, which is our current backup plan ;-)

Folding "rack"? Not for me. I'm trying to pack light(er) and that seems like too much.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Really? Why? I've never encountered this.
It's usually the mom and pop places in Europe. They cite everything from excessive water usage to humidity issues damaging the room.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pup7
Ex Officio makes underwear that looks like "normal" underwear but dries super fast. They're often easy to find on Sierra Trading Post in a discontinued color for far below regular retail.
I bought a pair of these for Mr. Fwoomp who just took them on a trip. He really liked them--he spent a week somewhere hot and humid, and alternated these with a pair of Patagonia Capilene underwear. He also had a couple Patagonia Capilene shirts and some regular nylon gym-type shorts. He sink laundered everything.

In addition to being comfortable and drying fast, whatever these two companies do to the fabric to give it "anti-odor" properties also seems to work.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Wow. Didn't think this was such a hot topic but thanks for the insight!

What's a rad dryer though? I mean I presume it's something you add on the rad/heater but I can't recall having been in a hotel with on since I was 10.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:13 pm

A travel clothesline usually does the trick. I also pack a few clothespins which can be used to secure things near airflow. Occasionally, I also pack a larger S hook for things with lips/edges but no bars to secure a clothesline around. I find hooks to be useful on cruise ships.

You can make your own travel clothesline out of shock cord, as HoyaHeel mentioned. http://www.tombihn.com/forums/questi...othesline.html

There's a ConvertAHanger gadget for those "security" hangers http://1bag1world.com/2015/06/gear-r...onvertahanger/ but I'd rather just bring a swivel S-hook or find a few cheap plastic hangers and leave it behind.

Asian markets usually carry light plastic hanging racks if you really want something like a rack instead of a clothesline.

Uniqlo also offers quick dry innerwear for men and women. AirSim in the warmer seasons and HeatTech in the cooler.

AirBnB also has an option to filter search results for places with washer and/or dryer options. If you're at the planning stage, it can be useful to book a place with a washer X days in when you expect to do laundry. I can live without a dryer in certain climates but be careful about packing cotton polo shirts and mostly cotton denim. They require longer air dry time even in some hot and mostly dry climates/seasons. I've also learned that packing a bit of washer cleaner or knowing how to find some locally is useful if the washer has a funky smell. Not every country sells white vinegar or washer cleaner... A load with just boiled water can also help in a pinch.

Last edited by freecia; Aug 10, 2015 at 6:25 pm
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We travel quite a bit, and for long trips, 2 or 3+ months. We send a fair amount of laundry to have it done when we are stationary for a few days, but there is quite a bit that I don't want ruined so I hand wash regardless of the time frame.

If only small amount, I hand wash in the sink, larger amount I hand wash in the shower, very easy. I also have a collapsing bucket that takes up no room and works really well when you have a too tiny sink.

I don't have a drying rack, but I did make a really handy clothes line that I can attach most anywhere and adjust the size dependant upon space and needs. I made it with ball bungie cords, I love my clothesline. It is so much better than what you can buy at REI, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WKWQB1S?psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WKWQB1S?psc=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.