"My Plane Space" seat divider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere

I'm surprised I've never seen a product called "My Plane Space" mentioned on this site. I actually wanted to create something like this, and it is designed pretty much the way I had envisioned it.

The product slips over the armrest and can be used to give 100 percent of the armrest to one's neighbor. However, it has a "shield" that extends perpendicular to the armrest to prevent the neighbor from elbowing or otherwise infringing on one's space.

Unlike the "Knee Defender," this product doesn't "take" anything from anyone else. It just helps to ensure that each passenger stays within his or her allotted space. I've used the thick airline magazine pressed against an armrest or a laptop to force people with pushy elbows to stay off me, but the Plane Space divider certainly seems more effective.

Personally I think the airlines should be required to have something like this incorporated into their seat designs, perhaps making it so it could be disengaged for families sitting together. I will note that the photo on the website shows the product being used to give both armrests to the middle seat. I think this product is appropriate when an aisle or window passenger gives up their armrest, but it would be improper for a middle-seat passenger to unilaterally claim exclusive use of both armrests.

Have any of you used this product? What do you think of it. I happen to like it a lot, as I don't like strangers touching me.

Click here to go to the My Plane Space website.

Last edited by Rebelyell; Aug 7, 2015 at 10:22 am Reason: to add image
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:37 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Travel Products forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm sure there's a thread on this already.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Thread on similar product.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...partition.html
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Are you the manufacturer or promoter of this product?

I think if it's placed so that the user gives up their armrest then it shouldn't be a problem. But you know that there will be ding dongs who will flip it around, and there would be hell to pay if someone tried to pull it on me.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Are you the manufacturer or promoter of this product?

I think if it's placed so that the user gives up their armrest then it shouldn't be a problem. But you know that there will be ding dongs who will flip it around, and there would be hell to pay if someone tried to pull it on me.
RebelYell's been here a decade longer than you, dude.

Anyway, people are gong too see this as rude no matter which way it's been turned. Can't see it catching on.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:11 am

The pictures make it look like the lower flaps take up a decent amount of space from the neighbor's seat.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by will2288
The pictures make it look like the lower flaps take up a decent amount of space from the neighbor's seat.
Agree - I wouldn't be happy with that in my space.

Also find the whole concept too claustrophobic.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by will2288
Second this.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yesterday in FC I was seated to a really big guy who kept infringing on my space, including very briefly the spread eagle position. I wish the aircraft had been equipped with a divider. I was scared that he was going to spill red wine all over me with his hyperactive klutzy moves.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Agree - I wouldn't be happy with that in my space.

Also find the whole concept too claustrophobic.
+1 Completely agree!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Shoudn't the divider be in the middle of the armrest? I mean what gives anyone the right to colonize the entire armrest for himself?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Enthilza
Shoudn't the divider be in the middle of the armrest? I mean what gives anyone the right to colonize the entire armrest for himself?
It is designed to give your neighbor the whole armrest. You would lose the armrest, but at least prevent them from going into your space.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yesterday in FC I was seated to a really big guy who kept infringing on my space, including very briefly the spread eagle position. I wish the aircraft had been equipped with a divider. I was scared that he was going to spill red wine all over me with his hyperactive klutzy moves.
I had a woman on an Emirates flight once that kept leaning all over me while she was asleep - long haul from DXB to LHR. Totally know that feeling. One of these things would've been very welcomed that night - only taller!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:28 pm

I think this is more of an American thing than say Europe or Asia. When I fly in those respective countries, I rarely ever get into a tizzy over elbow room nor do I (or they care) if we are pushing on each other. Some reason, I don't care as much when I fly over there. Typically our elbows are always touching as well as shoulders and knees. Yet, in the US, people give a big hoot about your splitting that 2 inch elbow room space. Personal space thing is very important here. And as such, I get that way too. However, not to the extent that I'd use this type of product.

** some caveat. I don't like it when a lady next to me has a derriere that is so large that her behind has to touch my behind. I find this to be problem with a few females next to me. It seems some males have large abdominal areas that protrudes out, but doesn't bother me because it is mostly in his space. Neither of these cases can be aided by this product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.