Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"My Plane Space" seat divider

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by will2288
It is designed to give your neighbor the whole armrest. You would lose the armrest, but at least prevent them from going into your space.
Oh I see. *feels stupid*

Then, as someone pointed out, I believe it would have to be taller since most of the annoying infringements usually take place at tigh or elbow level. But I doubt a seat-size divider would be welcomed by anyone in a plane, especially not the FA.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by Enthilza
Oh I see. *feels stupid*

Then, as someone pointed out, I believe it would have to be taller since most of the annoying infringements usually take place at tigh or elbow level. But I doubt a seat-size divider would be welcomed by anyone in a plane, especially not the FA.
One of the photos on the company website actually shows the product being used on each side of a middle seat. Although the convention is to give the middle-seat passenger as much use of both armrests as possible, I'd be darn angry if I arrived and found another passenger had assigned the entire armrest to himself (as opposed to giving up the the entire armrest as part of the enforced seat partition).

I actually think the product would be pretty effective as it is. I've had a problem with people sticking their elbows way over into my space. I sometimes use the flight magazine wedged against the armrest to prevent or impede the elbow.

One problem I see with it is that in the photo it is shown attached to a fixed armrest, such as exists on bulkhead and exit rows. Many armrests may not have enough height to support the thing in an upright position, although I suspect it would be helped with a horizontal force keeping it in place, much as I use with the flight magazine. It really needs some type of Velcro strap that can be wrapped around the armrest if needed.

It would be helpful if the airlines would simply install a sturdier version of these on every seat. I'm tempted to buy one, just so I can make the statement, "This is my space. Don't touch me."
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:58 pm

I would prefer a double-decker armrest that both can use.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by klew97
Nice idea but the design could prove to be a problem for the emergency deplaning. Quite easy to be on the hook there and loosing valuable seconds to leave the plane.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by klew97
That looks awesome ^.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I would prefer an economy seat where two fully grown men* can sit shoulder to shoulder without touching or leaning away.

That should be a minimum, legal, standard.

*bmi=30 or less!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance

Excuse the quick and crude paint job.
The armrest on the right of each seat contains the tray, that means that is YOUR armrest, same goes for non bulkhead seats that contain power sockets and /or headphone outlets on the armrests.
That is the way I always explain it to anyone next to me and never had many problems yet.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mellonc
** some caveat. I don't like it when a lady next to me has a derriere that is so large that her behind has to touch my behind. I find this to be problem with a few females next to me. It seems some males have large abdominal areas that protrudes out, but doesn't bother me because it is mostly in his space. Neither of these cases can be aided by this product.
Note: I am not endorsing or selling this product, nor have I bought it or am I considering purchase.

It seems the product discussed in the previous FT thread I linked above would actually help with this.

And it has the "benefit" of only taking up half the armrest, although the picture below does make it look like it protrudes quite a bit into your own space. They describe it as being only 1" wide, but the picture would suggest that it's wider.

Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by will2288
The pictures make it look like the lower flaps take up a decent amount of space from the neighbor's seat.
I agree, I wouldn't tolerate any thickness of contraption stuck on my side of the seat. Bizarre idea
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Matrick
I agree, I wouldn't tolerate any thickness of contraption stuck on my side of the seat. Bizarre idea
I wouldn't say it's a bizarre idea (it's actually not bad), just poor design/implementation.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I wouldn't say it's a bizarre idea (it's actually not bad), just poor design/implementation.
I take your point to some extent; if it were better designed and more importantly not a retrofit then there might be something to it. But the idea of one person installing a barrier because they like the idea without considering their neighbour just seems weird to me.

In some cases I find that I end up sharing arm rests, one has elbows at the back of the arm rest and the other rests elbows at the front. A barrier errected on typical existing arm rest widths could mean that both lose out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.