Reload this Page >

IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:10 am

Err. Hmmmm. I'm Not I understanding where you are going with this. But thanks for bring up your concerns. Perhaps you wanna start a thread with a weight limit on LH. not sure. As for the comment on the size, it's pretty simple. A bag will fit or won't. There's a thread here in which a flyer talker actually measured the sizers at the gate. Simply find bags that fits under those measurements. It's not rocket science.

And I don't know about your comments about the Japanese. Whether they are Japanese or Germans or Martians, sometimes you are asked to putt your bag in the sizer and sometimes not. Nationality of the GA has nothing to do with anything.

In any case I wish you luck in conforming to the whatever Size restriction that you feel is necessary.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:26 am

To clarify - what I meant regarding nationality is not meant any bad way, but merely in sense what I got away with in Toronto (Canada) at the gate, I did not get away with at Narita on my way back. Personnel were adhering to rules, but all correctly. That's all.

Last edited by Sakae; Aug 17, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
At the AGM in Miami this week, IATA have agreed a standard cabin luggage size for all airlines to adopt. The recommended size is 55 x 35 x 20 cm (or 21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 inches) . According to IATA this gives everyone a chance to have their cabin luggage on board in aircraft with more than 120 seats.

This seems a really small size - I thought most wheelies are 40 cm at least, and some airlines allow 45 cm.

Also - while on the one hand standardisation is nice, it seems to be harking back a little to the old cartel days.
Quick check with Tumi and Rimowa came out cold; no suitcases in new IATA recommended sizes. Tumi actually still insists on 22" trolley, which might be a problem at some gates.
Interestingly enough, Rimowa on their both, US and EU websites reduced their selections of Topas products. I wonder if this happened due to economics, or new products in smaller sizes will replace former. It's pity Swissaire is not posting anymore, because he would probably know what's going on. I do actually prefer 2 wheelers, but I have been delaying the purchase, and (means today) now I see that only 4 wheelers are offered. Kiddie trolley was taken off as well. I wonder if anyone knows what is Rimowa doing to their line of products...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I think the IATA initiative died a silent death....
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:38 am

Yeah, it appear so. IATA may or may not come back with it in some version in the future, but for now this initiative has been shelved.

Rimowa, wrote me a confirmation of their position, which stated unequivocally, that they, at least for now, have no plans to support IATA suggestion to reduce cabin trolley sizes beyond what it is at the moment, thus aligning themselves with US carriers. For my travels with Lufthansa on long hauls it means - as before - one 24" checked bag below 23 kg, one personal item with laptop and documents, and one trolley 55x40x20 (8kg). Usefulness of later as a carry on board, due to airline imposed weight restrictiveness, is becoming more and more questionable and different strategy how to handle hopping trips over ponds needs to be devised. I wonder how other people planning business trips lasting two to three weeks a shot, and when a tie is must for a meeting.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:10 am

So my new TravelPro Crew 10 rollaboard 20x14x9 should still be good as a carry on for the foreseeable future?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by gbill2004
So my new TravelPro Crew 10 rollaboard 20x14x9 should still be good as a carry on for the foreseeable future?
It depends...

Last edited by Sakae; Dec 24, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: Current: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond. Former United 1K, JetBlue Mosiac, SPG Platinum
Well thats a bummer, get the my Tumi International Carry On will no longer be "International"

DIMENSIONS (From Tumi's Website)
H: 22 in
W: 14 in
D: 9 in
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:24 am

I am not sure if anyone has different information, but it appears that Rimowa, at least for now, has either discontinued, or removed 2 wheeled boarding trolley, just as "kiddie" one off their site. This is bad news to me, after postponing cash outlay with planning to get the gear later, and now I will not only have to pay more money yet for 4 wheeled suitcase, but also having to purchase something I do not want, or like. I am 2 wheel guy, regardless how many "Ode of Joy" people sing about 4 wheels. Simple as that, and without rationalizing my taste. After loosing a few wheels attached to expensive gear on boulders of Naples, I have no more use for those, thus willing to rather hold suitcase in hand (as in old times), than rolling it, altho traversing from one end of an airport to another one without a minute to spare is no fun with hands full at the same time.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:42 am

FAA regulations..?

My body system received noticeable shock, after I learned (unfortunately late) what some US carriers have done. I thought that LH is strict, but this one takes a cake. To be brief, Forget Rimowa Topas, forget IATA, and most likely forget actually any cabin suitcase, unless you are prepared to pay penalty. American (as well as Delta and United) has updated their carry-on bag policies, and suitcase must be max. 14-inch wide limit. Not all airlines in my understanding imposing such rules, but I would be surprised if those who do, aren't aware that it is almost impossible to purchase a bag of that size (55x35x23).

So, what now? (Unfortunately due to varying conditions, and despite it might happen rarely, I am however unable to avoid those carriers every time there is need to travel).

Last edited by Sakae; Feb 2, 2016 at 7:24 am
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Sakae
My body system received noticeable shock, after I learned (unfortunately late) what some US carriers have done. I thought that LH is strict, but this one takes a cake. To be brief, Forget Rimowa Topas, forget IATA, and most likely forget actually any cabin suitcase, unless you are prepared to pay penalty. American (as well as Delta and United) has updated their carry-on bag policies, and suitcase must be max. 14-inch wide limit. Not all airlines in my understanding imposing such rules, but I would be surprised if those who do, aren't aware that it is almost impossible to purchase a bag of that size (55x35x23).

So, what now? (Unfortunately due to varying conditions, and despite it might happen rarely, I am however unable to avoid those carriers every time there is need to travel).
The policies are rarely enforced, they tend to only come into play when someone has a bag that is grossly oversized or overstuffed or is in the last group to board. I have a bag that is larger than some sizers will allow but I don't overstuff it and I sit towards the middle of the aircraft, I never have a problem. But I see people with bags stuffed to the point of bursting, carrying shopping bags and pillows, boarding late in the process, and they are easily fingered by gate agents. A lot of this is how you present yourself, not the size of the carry-on.

If you have a rationally sized bag that isn't overstuffed and you get to board with the first 75% of the plane and you don't have extra loose items you're trying to sneak onboard you will not have any problems. Buy your tickets early when good seating options remain, build status with a single carrier network, bring a rationally sized personal item, you'll never have a problem with a bag that is a few centimeters too large for a sizer.

BJ
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by boltjames
The policies are rarely enforced, they tend to only come into play when someone has a bag that is grossly oversized or overstuffed or is in the last group to board. I have a bag that is larger than some sizers will allow but I don't overstuff it and I sit towards the middle of the aircraft, I never have a problem. But I see people with bags stuffed to the point of bursting, carrying shopping bags and pillows, boarding late in the process, and they are easily fingered by gate agents. A lot of this is how you present yourself, not the size of the carry-on.

If you have a rationally sized bag that isn't overstuffed and you get to board with the first 75% of the plane and you don't have extra loose items you're trying to sneak onboard you will not have any problems. Buy your tickets early when good seating options remain, build status with a single carrier network, bring a rationally sized personal item, you'll never have a problem with a bag that is a few centimeters too large for a sizer.

BJ
Thanks BJ, but problem is with taking risk, that despite some research of last year, I have never been able to verify allowances for bag sizers and I do carry some std. electronics business gear in my suitcase (which is too large for my personal item), thus I would not want to be separated from my cabin trolley due to oversize claims, taking too much risk. So, I want to play along on the level, but how is this game played?

I am actually repating myself here, but it is funny that nominal sizes quoted on websites, to name two, Lufthansa and Rimowa, are one and the same, yet every thinking person knows that bags aren't perfect geometrical objects, not to say, that size of size would create friction fit. So, how large are really sizers which would allow me to make some informed decisions? Can I purchase 22" (56cm) Tumi and be forgiven by Lufthansa (or Air Canada) which dictates 55 cm? In fact, LH person who does visit this forum was kind enough to respond to my question with (paraphrasing) - you might be forgiven, but no guarantees.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Sakae
Thanks BJ, but problem is with taking risk, that despite some research of last year, I have never been able to verify allowances for bag sizers and I do carry some std. electronics business gear in my suitcase (which is too large for my personal item), thus I would not want to be separated from my cabin trolley due to oversize claims, taking too much risk. So, I want to play along on the level, but how is this game played?

I am actually repating myself here, but it is funny that nominal sizes quoted on websites, to name two, Lufthansa and Rimowa, are one and the same, yet every thinking person knows that bags aren't perfect geometrical objects, not to say, that size of size would create friction fit. So, how large are really sizers which would allow me to make some informed decisions? Can I purchase 22" (56cm) Tumi and be forgiven by Lufthansa (or Air Canada) which dictates 55 cm? In fact, LH person who does visit this forum was kind enough to respond to my question with (paraphrasing) - you might be forgiven, but no guarantees.
Good post. I now understand the issue with you electronics in the carry-on. I believe then the answer is simple:

There are published carry-on sizer dimensions and published personal item dimensions for all airlines. Make a list of the airlines you will use, find the minimum dimensions, and purchase a carry-on and personal item bag and just use those. If the carry-on gets smaller, keep the electronics in there and move some of the clothing to the personal item. Remember, the personal item can be quite large, can have a clothing compartment, it doesn't have to resemble a briefcase or backpack.

The only way to 100% guarantee you'll never be gate checked is to be 100% in compliance with the rules of measurement. Yes, they change rather frequently. So I'd recommend you buy inexpensive luggage that will not hurt you too badly when new dimensions are published.

BJ
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even compliant bags are gate checked when the bins are full. There's no guarantee unless the bag fits under the seat in front of you and even there, space is increasingly being taken by boxes for AVOD equipment, etc. There's also the risk of being assigned to a bulkhead or exit row seat.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:12 am

Does anyone knows whether a duffel bag and over shoulder business case will be accepted? I might consider this solution as compromised resolve.

In theory duffel should do, assuming it does not exceeds airline stated parameters for (1) cabin article, weight and size, however I have faint recollection, reading very long time ago, of an article describing a traveller having an argument with gate personnel, that he is not allowed to carry two personal articles. So much is true, as long as you consider both personal articles.

Not owning duffel, I have never found myself in such situation, but jest of the article was, as I recall, that airport employee was looking for wheels, despite that nowhere in instructions on airline website, such demand is described. I am not sure anymore how this incident ended up, but last thing what I need is an argument at the gate, while in short transit.

If all fails, there is of course Rimowa baby-air suitcase made of thin plast (which I really, really do not want), or Salsa Board Case 40 (no wheels). Both are about 23 [l] in volume. Good for emergency overnight trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.