IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: My travel agent
If you haven't bought too many too expensive bags lately, I think you can be more for it, than against it.

OR, if you are a Red Oxx Air Boss kind of traveller: http://www.redoxx.com/air-boss/91018/product
US Dimensions: 21"L x 8"W x 13"H
Metric Dimensions: 53.3cm L x 20.3cm W x 33cm H

35 cm was my ideal size before, across a range of similar type of bags.

IATA video: http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-06-09-02.aspx
I am actually liking it.

OK, the whole story is, they are supposed to recommend officially the 55 x 35 x 20 cm bag (goes to the overhead locker), PLUS one underseat/laptop bag. That would be totally reasonable. Then, I could be all in.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:28 pm

Since IATA clarified a couple of days ago is the risk now that they put it out there and airlines gravitate to it over the next couple of years?

Hopefully the airlines ignore this although Tumi already has a cabin ok bag in the works.

Last edited by MikeM CT; Jun 15, 2015 at 9:56 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I think my business case has been oversized in one dimension for a while now, so I'm not really that worried.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:35 pm

I like buying a new bag every 3 years so the fact that I may be forced to do so down the road when this 'standard' supposedly gets policed doesn't bother me.

And from a financial standpoint, when all customers are guaranteed an overhead space I won't have to purchase early boarding so the airlines are going to lose that revenue. No longer will I stress over being first onboard anymore as even if I'm the last guy on the plane I've got an overhead bin. That's a plus.

What they really need to police are the women who board with 3 personal items, 2 shopping bags, and a bed pillow. That's the issue. It's not carryon size; it's the rude passengers who sneak stuff onboard and stash it overhead.

BJ
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
From my experience on United and other domestic airlines that I've used in the last 5 years (Southwest, Delta, AA) the number of times they actually enforce size restrictions is low. So I don't think these so called standards will really have a big real world impact until they do a better job of enforcement.

I agree that FAs need to enforce the no small items in the overhead bin rule more consistently. On pretty much every flight I've been on, someone always places a small backpack or bag in the overhead bin instead of underneath their seat (that's not counting those in bulkhead rows that have no choice but to place all their carry-ons in the overhead).
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by tsolin01
From my experience on United and other domestic airlines that I've used in the last 5 years (Southwest, Delta, AA) the number of times they actually enforce size restrictions is low. So I don't think these so called standards will really have a big real world impact until they do a better job of enforcement.

I agree that FAs need to enforce the no small items in the overhead bin rule more consistently. On pretty much every flight I've been on, someone always places a small backpack or bag in the overhead bin instead of underneath their seat (that's not counting those in bulkhead rows that have no choice but to place all their carry-ons in the overhead).
+1.

I looked at the measurement that IATA put out and it is really thin. AirBoss, Aeronaut, TriStar are all thicker than 7.5 inches. Heck, my briefcase expands to 8 inches or more. On rolling carry-on's, you are looking at 6 inches of depth due to wheel and handle housing. If you are over certain height and size, you are really screwed.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc
+1.

I looked at the measurement that IATA put out and it is really thin. AirBoss, Aeronaut, TriStar are all thicker than 7.5 inches. Heck, my briefcase expands to 8 inches or more. On rolling carry-on's, you are looking at 6 inches of depth due to wheel and handle housing. If you are over certain height and size, you are really screwed.
I know - I'm 6 foot 5 with 13-14 shoes. I'm picturing packing for a few day business trip with my daughter's non-expandable princess rollerboard.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Independent
The clarification turned me off even more.

So now the battle isn't going to just be who gets on the plane first, but short trip one baggers versus people with one carry-on versus once a year travelers, as the cabin OK bags get priority.

And, let's see how quickly the Cabin Ok tags start to become a bootleg copy item.

I understand what they are trying to do, but it is a poorly thought out fix to a problem that isn't really being addressed.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Sabena58
Well we have a official statement of Rimowa:

Rimowa will not support the plans to reduce the standard size of 55x40x20cm and neither have we provided such a recommendation to IATA or any airline company.

Furthermore they say that there is no standardised guideline for carry-on luggage in the past despite previous recommendations from IATA. Airlines are still able (in the end) to decide for themselves which dimensions they permit.

Well this says it all, in my opinion it is the whole British Airways debacle with the 56x45x25cm carry on that will not be going in the new dreamliners of Boeing. Case closed.

Also a official statement from Lufthansa themselves: They signed the agreement that IATA search for a solution for recommended worldwide cabin baggage. They don't say anything about a 55x35x20cm. Also it is stupid to think that Lufthansa is going with this because they have a special Rimowa collection in Size 55x40x23cm for cabin.
Really interesting and informative posts - with thanks...as a luggage Brand dedicated to Cabin Size bags we at GATE8 have been keeping a VERY close eye on this and have also noted that despite IATA and reputable publications using language such as "Airlines have committed to the IATA guidelines" none as yet (to our knowledge) have introduced these into their operational policy in Cabin Baggage Allowance - these include Lufthansa, Air China, Emirates, Qatar Airlines - all of which have been associated with a "commitment" to the guidelines, yet no timelines have been given to if/when they may enforce those - they all remain at the Cabin Size dimensions pre-IATA announcement...we watch with interest. Thanks Alistair.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
News story from Reuters reporting that they are reversing course/pausing this initiative:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0Z31E920150617

And IATA release:

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-06-17-01.aspx
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:25 pm

Just went on the Rimowa website, be it China, UK, or USA sites, Rimowa has REMOVED its "IATA" suffix on their Cabin Multiwheel Topas, Limbo and Salsa Deluxe lines! I could swear they were still there yesterday! Mmmmm, I wonder what Rimowa up to? Anyone shed any light on this as on another thread similar to this one under Travelbuzz someone has confirmed IATA have reviewed, albeit retracted what they proposed last week.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: Independent
Is there any way we can combine the two threads on this (here and here)?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by tigerbaby328
Just went on the Rimowa website, be it China, UK, or USA sites, Rimowa has REMOVED its "IATA" suffix on their Cabin Multiwheel Topas, Limbo and Salsa Deluxe lines! I could swear they were still there yesterday! Mmmmm, I wonder what Rimowa up to? Anyone shed any light on this as on another thread similar to this one under Travelbuzz someone has confirmed IATA have reviewed, albeit retracted what they proposed last week.
It was there yesterday. Today its not.
Maybe they will make a new one?

These new iata limits are ridiculous. They're smaller than easy jet's. This won't stop people from carrying on dozens of bags and blocking overhead bins.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
IATA now rethinking the downsizing of cabin baggage

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/iata-pause...162926074.html
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:45 pm

It looks like IATA has shelved this idea entirely. WSJ picked up the story here.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-are...fit-1435167020

You really wonder who runs this organization. Frankly speaking, CA DMV has better policies than these guys do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.