Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa vs. Tumi 22 inch Carry-on? Packing issue!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Is this possible to pack one or more suits in a Rimowa. (I know one can in the Tumi).

If so, what's the best way given that there are no hangers that I'm aware of.

I'm leaning to a Rimowa Hybrid 22" Carry-on over the Tumi (expandable) carry-on but am concerned about relative size and functionality.

Do any of you have a view point that might be useful for me to know before I make a purchase?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
One suit; definitely. Two suits; yes, but you'll have to give something else up. I can do a trip for a week in winter quite comfortably which is half leisure, half business, with enough warm clothes for both.

Take a look at the sticky with the packing tips at the top of the forum. I use the 'bundle' method (lay trousers in first, then other things, then jacket and fold the trousers over). I also find packing cubes super-useful.

Good luck!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by akittner
Is this possible to pack one or more suits in a Rimowa. (I know one can in the Tumi).

If so, what's the best way given that there are no hangers that I'm aware of.

I'm leaning to a Rimowa Hybrid 22" Carry-on over the Tumi (expandable) carry-on but am concerned about relative size and functionality.

Do any of you have a view point that might be useful for me to know before I make a purchase?

Thanks in advance.
If your only concern is that there are no hangers and no "garment bag" or suiter in these bags, worry not. With the techniques in the sticky above you can pack a suit wrinkle free even in a duffle bag.

As for sheer volume, both bags will take two suits easily. If you have very large shoulders it is good to use the bag with the longer long side because you need that room for the shoulders if you use the "normal" technique. If you use the video technique you are folding the suit in half anyway, so the shoulder should be fine.

Till
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:35 pm

Yes, it can be done. It might be helpful for you to share your suit size with us.

A suit or two, yes. Folding the jacket inside out, it has worked for me for many decades using RImowa luggage cases.

But I tend to wear one in Business, and carry the other folded inside-out in the case. No need to change: I just head straight to the office, or whomever I'm seeing.

The Rimowa Hybrid pockets are great for small items, and papers. Convenience or not, I don't place a laptop or tablet in them, as they offer little protection from anything striking the case.

Other considerations:

1. ) The number of Shirts, and ties, depend on how you package them.
2.) Shoes, boots, etc.
3.) Business related items.
4.) Season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.