Reload this Page >

What to do with Coins when travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with Coins when travelling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:22 am

I bring 'em back to my office where I collect them in a jar. I, then, take them to Coinstar at a grocery store and get Amazon e-certificate for the coins - the e-Certificates have no fees.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
The 1 cent penny has been pulled from circulations. Minting of them stopped last year.
They'll be around for a long time though, being used as US pennies here.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
If I checkout hotel and go to the airport directly, I usually pay the hotel bill using all the local currency, both coins and paper notes, then use credit card to settle the balance. Not always works since sometimes you need to keep some local currency to pay for taxi, etc. But it has significantly reduced the amount of foreign currency I keep after each trip since I started this practice.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Prescription pill bottles work quite well.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mikew99
I keep all my foreign currency in separate snack-sized Ziploc bags (similar to those in Doc Savage's post, but smaller). On return from a trip, I put the currency-filled Ziploc bag into a larger paper envelope labelled with the name of the country, along with SIM cards, transit cards, and other things I might need on my next trip to that country. Works for me.
+1. Just keep the countries I'm going to in my carry-on. Swap out as necessary.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:24 pm

I use Zip-locs while traveling, then move them into envelopes and write the countries' names on the outside when I get home to store them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.