Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really regret my Eagle Creek purchase

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Really regret my Eagle Creek purchase

Last May I bought two Eagle Creek Ease 28" 4 wheel rolling uprights. I did research and didn't read any complaints about them and their whatever guarantee appealed to me. After my first international trip the top handle had completely come off one. By my second international trip the side handle had completely come off as well, and the top handle also came off the second suitcase. I brought them back to the luggage store I purchased them from. I had to pay $47 to ship them back to Eagle Creek. It has been over a month and I still don't have them back. I've never had a handle rip off one of my old Samsonites or American Touristers. I wanted the warranty to be like insurance in case a really bad accident happened, not because the handles tear out after a trip or two within the first year. I wouldn't buy Eagle Creek again.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Montacute
I wouldn't buy Eagle Creek again.
Maybe it was a weight issue? Or poor handling from the airline crew?
Old May 8, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Salmontes
Maybe it was a weight issue? Or poor handling from the airline crew?
I pack these up to the limit I am permitted on the airline. We are talking about multiple airline crews as well.

If a bag can't handle the weight allowed by the airline or the handling by airline crews, why buy it?
Old May 8, 2013, 2:02 pm

I would suggest a polite phone call to the warranty center rather than an email.

A few years ago I had a warranty claim with Eagle Creek take longer than expected so I followed up with a phone call to the warranty center in California. It turned out that my piece had fallen through the cracks and was in a holding pattern. There was no direct replacement for my broken piece in their current lineup so I was offered my choice of a similar unit.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:49 pm

I'm sorry you've had this experience as we've been using Eagle Creeks for years and have found them to be excellent. The only problem we had was fixed quickly by returning to them. Don't think we paid to send it back. (I have no financial interest in the company).
Old May 8, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks balrog and Julian. Balrog, I called the CA center as you suggested and found out my bags have also fallen through the cracks! The rep was very nice, but had no record of them. He said he will try to locate them based on a description of the damage. I also called the store where I bought them, who said they can track them down, but it is too late to do today. I'll report back once I learn more.

Do people typically send their EC bags back to EC themselves or return it to the store of purchase and have the store send them? I actually thought the store would send them back to EC for free, which is why I brought them there, but they didn't. How did you send yours Julian, COD?
Old May 8, 2013, 7:52 pm

Montacute,
At least the phone call got the ball rolling. I would suggest to start documenting your contact with the store and Eagle Creek. Date, time and name of the EC rep of each time you called. It is also possible that the store did not sent it out yet.

I have repair items to Eagle Creek via USPS Priority Mail. During my phone calls with them, I got the feeling that the warranty staff in the California Eagle Creek facility is at times, overwhelmed. They were always professional, never rude.

Eagle Creek doesn't require a Return Authorization Number. You just need to fill out a pdf, fill it out and enclose it with your item- no phone call needed. I'm speculating that because of this no RA required policy, things get "lost" a bit more easily.

I wish you the best in this challenging situation. Keep us updated on this thread please.

Last edited by balrog808; May 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balrog808
Montacute,
At least the phone call got the ball rolling. I would suggest to start documenting your contact with the store and Eagle Creek. Date, time and name of the EC rep of each time you called. It is also possible that the store did not sent it out yet.

I have repair items to Eagle Creek via USPS Priority Mail. During my phone calls with them, I got the feeling that the warranty staff in the California Eagle Creek facility is at times, overwhelmed. They were always professional, never rude.

Eagle Creek doesn't require a Return Authorization Number. You just need to fill out a pdf, fill it out and enclose it with your item- no phone call needed. I'm speculating that because of this no RA required policy, things get "lost" a bit more easily.

I wish you the best in this challenging situation. Keep us updated on this thread please.
Thanks a lot balrog. I honestly don't know if the store filled out a pdf, because I just let them handle everything. I will start my phone log.

Will keep everyone posted!
Old May 10, 2013, 3:53 am

I have had two claims with my Eagle Creek Velocity bags. On my first trip with the bag the handle extended and retracted fine before my flight but afterwards the handle would not extend. I am not sure what that airlines did but Eagle Creek repaired it since this bag has a no matter what warranty. I asked nicely and Eagle Creek waived the fee to return the bag.

The second claim was the metal piece that surrounds the button that extends and retracts the telescoping trolley on the handle popped off. I called Eagle Creek and they told me to send the bag in but I asked if they could just send me a replacement handle since it only took a screwdriver to remove and replace. I did have to make an additional call to another person in repairs but after a couple of days of phone tag I got in touch with him and he gladly sent out the handle.

Shak
Old May 15, 2013, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shak51
I have had two claims with my Eagle Creek Velocity bags. On my first trip with the bag the handle extended and retracted fine before my flight but afterwards the handle would not extend. I am not sure what that airlines did but Eagle Creek repaired it since this bag has a no matter what warranty. I asked nicely and Eagle Creek waived the fee to return the bag.

The second claim was the metal piece that surrounds the button that extends and retracts the telescoping trolley on the handle popped off. I called Eagle Creek and they told me to send the bag in but I asked if they could just send me a replacement handle since it only took a screwdriver to remove and replace. I did have to make an additional call to another person in repairs but after a couple of days of phone tag I got in touch with him and he gladly sent out the handle.

Shak
Thanks for sharing your experience Shak. I will definitely talk to EC directly if I have another problem with these bags.

An update on my situation is that the store sent my bags to the wrong place!! They sent it somewhere in FL instead of CA. That is why it has been over a month and counting. So, the delay is not EC's fault. I'm still very displeased with the handles coming off so quickly and that is an EC issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.