Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi garment bag as carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I have a tumi alpha bi-fold garment bag that is about 22x18 in size. I had used it as a carry on multiple times before 2010, after which I have not traveled with it. I need to travel again and after reading the carry on size I am not sure if this bag is still small enough for a carry on anymore.

It seems the new regulation requires 22x 14 x10 and the newer models from Tumi are all trifold (and therefore fit the size requirement)

I want to ask if anyone have tried to use those bi folder garment bags as carry on recently and if they are still allowed. Try not to buy another garment bags. They are not cheap.

MANY THANKS!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 4:42 pm

I'm sure it's not "legal" but have successfully used an alpha bi-fold with wheels many times as a carryon, I just make sure the front pockets aren't loaded so it doesn't bulge. so unless you stuff yours to the gills, you likely won't have an issue.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by crazypalooza
I'm sure it's not "legal" but have successfully used an alpha bi-fold with wheels many times as a carryon, I just make sure the front pockets aren't loaded so it doesn't bulge. so unless you stuff yours to the gills, you likely won't have an issue.
No recent problems with mine on UA, AC, LH, BA or AA
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:36 pm

Its Not legal but hey,you could take the risk. In europe however i would not try it
Old May 8, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Hi all,
I am European and I don't think you will have problems when boarding via frequent flyer queue or travelling in business.
I have a tumi alpha 22" and it has never been stopped at the time of boarding, fitting in all overhead bins.

Hope it clarifies.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.