Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use a Briggs and Riley U116 cabin bag as a briefcase/mobile office?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone use a Briggs and Riley U116 cabin bag as a briefcase/mobile office?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Question Does anyone use a Briggs and Riley U116 cabin bag as a briefcase/mobile office?

Hi,

Curious if anyone uses a U116 as a mobile office? I'm looking for a flat top rolling mobile office to be able to put my non wheeled bag on top of.

I thought I wanted the slim KR305 as a rolling briefcase but now I'm wondering if there is going to be room for everything I need to carry with me (e.g., laptop, iPad, kindle, battery, cords, files, shipping tape, post its, markers, etc) and any snacks and a water bottle I like to have as well. And it looks like I would need to use a Traveling Bag Bungee to keep my Weekender stable on top.

I looked at the expandable Verb as well as a larger rolling office, but then wondered if anyone uses the U116 and compartmentalizes on their own with a padded laptop case, grid it(s), accordion file system etc.? I was thinking this would be more versatile than some of the other per-configured bags but I'm wondering if the entry into the bag (do I have to completely unzip it to get anything out?) and lack of compartments might be cumbersome? What else am I not considering?

The mobile office will be flying/traveling quite frequently (~65%) in the US and I'd love to hear if someone uses this bag for this use before I spend $300

Thank you!
Old May 7, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Yes. The lack of compartments makes it more flexible to pack. I do pair it with an ebags TLS convertible which attaches nicely on top (I use something called Lugbuddy which is no longer made) to strap it on top. As you observe, the flat (& somewhat broader) top makes it easier.

I think if you shop it, it can be had for less. I don't recall what I paid for it but I doubt I paid $300. Relative to getting things out of it, with a bag on top, not easy except for the front pocket, zippered slash pocket and side pockets so pack accordingly.

The combo works well on many RJ's so I use this setup if I have a trip that involves them and I have tight connections.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:13 pm

I have/had your set up with rolling office on bottom and carry-on bag on top. I can tell you that KR305 is too small. I simply didn't fit everything. especially for me, I like to put a pair of dress shoes (size 11) in the rolling office to change into once I'm out of the airport at the arrival location (and put my sneakers in there). KR305 didn't test pack very nicely. Also it's not very flat on top. The bag that sits on top wobbles.

U116 worked well in the test pack session but the lack of compartments made my stuff all jumbled up and I didn't like it. Another problem is taking stuff out in front of your clients or colleagues. There is only one opening and they see everything. As I keep just a days worth of underwear (in case something happens to my carry on or I get flagged down by a GA to check it for some odd reason AND the bag is lost or delayed) in the bag it may be somewhat inappropriate.

VBR412 is the best. http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...R412X&col=verb

It fits my shoe bag and a day's worth of underwear and a toiletry bag without expanding the bag. And it fits under the seat, though, I must admit, it's a tight fit. Sometimes, kick and push, tight fit. And you have no room for your feet if you are a tall dude who likes to stretch out.

As an aside, be careful with this rolling office and carry on bag on top of it. The rolling office is usually heavy (VBR412 is actually not too heavy - lighter than KR305). And there are times when you have to simply hand carry it - like walking through the streets of Manhattan or when you are going through flights of stairs. Also just because it barely fits underneath your seat it doesn't mean it's always confortable. the hard bottom and sides make things quite cumbersome to search or dig around for things mid flight.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:26 pm

Relative the the U116 and clients. I never take that bag on-site. I have a Waterfield Designs sleeve with shoulder straps and a "piggyback" which I use for what I need to take on-site. So, the U116 is either at the hotel or in a car trunk.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:02 pm

I checked it out - the Waterfield Design stuff. Really nice and clean looking. I must admit, though, I am a bit more "shove everything" in the bag kinda guy. So I bring my whole briefcase to client/vendor meetings.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc
I checked it out - the Waterfield Design stuff. Really nice and clean looking. I must admit, though, I am a bit more "shove everything" in the bag kinda guy. So I bring my whole briefcase to client/vendor meetings.
I'm lucky as I travel pretty light for what I do and if there's stuff to lug, I've got people to bring it. Often, I use the U116 to hold clothes for an overnight trip and then just go light with the computer, etc. The cabin bag isn't my standard setup but I use it for certain profile trips. What I like about the Waterfield sleeve is that its a good sleeve inside a bigger bag so when you take out the laptop for x-ray, its protected (of course, PreCheck makes that event rarer). The D-rings on the sleeve allows one to carry it as a shoulder bag. Add the piggyback for some power adapter and a few other things and I'm good to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.