Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Luggage beaten up

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:02 am
Original Poster

New Luggage beaten up

I rarely check my bags, but I flew standby a week ago and the overheads were full, requiring me to check my bag. This was the first time I had checked my first "nice" bag, a Briggs & Riley. When I got my luggage from the baggage claim I immediately saw, much to my dismay, four decently large spots on the front of the luggage wear the outer fabric (nylon?) appeared to almost be melted.

The bag is pretty new, is nice, and is relatively expensive. It also wasn't beat-up before this. Unfortunately, I kind of expected something like this to happen, since baggage tossers throw packages labeled 'fragile'. Is there anyway I can get this fixed? Should I complain to the airline?

Or, is this just the first in a set of bruises that will make my nice new luggage look identical to my old crappy luggage?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:17 am

if it's really melted you should file a claim with the airlines. btw. Briggs will take care of it (in my experience) if this is more than cosmetic stuff. heck, even if it's cosmetic, I think they'll do it.

I once had the bottom of my bag get "bent." You know... the stiff part where it's supposed to stay stiff. I think the plastic insert inside of the fabric got bent. It was fixed pretty quickly.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:09 pm

Depending on how long ago you got the bag you might be able to get your credit card to refund you the money.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
A bit late to do anything now. If you were going to complain and/or seek compensation, it should have been done at the time the damage was discovered. At this point, you can still complain, but I wouldn't expect any sort of compensation.

You should be able to get repairs covered under warranty. The question is whether it's considered minor (local repair center) or major (company repair centers in Hauppague, NY or Moss Beach, CA). Take it to a local shop first and see what they say.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:07 pm

Heartbreaking as it is, such damage does happen.

Frequently the airlines are not always aware of what happens inside the baggage handling arena. The damage may have occurred at the outbound airport, and not upon arrival. But do notify the airline you were last flying with immediately.

1. Keep the written documentation to the facts, in a neutral and unemotional tone.
2. Digital photos, using flash and different angles will better explain your damage claim. I would add an object such as a writing pen to add scale to your photos.
3. Try and take the claim form with your luggage directly to the airline claim representative. If that proves impossible, send the form and support documents via registered or signature posting.
4. Keep a copy available for you on your computer.

I travel with Rimowa luggage by choice, and experienced a total damage claim flying LH into FRA airport. LH took care of replacing the new case ( An LH Rimowa model XXL Polycarbonate case ) 100 %, professionally and immediately. I was offered a new case from the stock at FRA, or full replacement cost of the case. I chose the latter option, and had time to take the U-Bahn from FRA into town, purchase a new case at Kaufhof department store, enjoy a quick dinner, and catch my return flight back to ZRH.

From what I read here on FT, B&R offers you very good warranty coverage for such damage. That is very fortunate for you.

I hope this is helpful.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:20 pm

I love my B & R luggage. Their lifetime warranty is one reason why. They should absolutely take care of this for you at no charge. I have had my B & R about ten years now and have never had a problem with repairs free of charge. I do realize that this is the fault of the luggage handlers but good luck trying to sort through that back and forth.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: *G
i view luggage as a "wear item" so all cosmetics damage is part of the game
Old Apr 26, 2013, 6:59 am

In my mind melting doesn't come under normal wear and tear.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: *G
"appeared to be melted" - not actually melted

abrasion to nylon turns the corded texture into a smooth polish ... unless the damage appears as if someone took a blowtorch to the luggage it seems par for the course
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
For several years now, I've taken pictures with my cell phone of my luggage, including those items I expect to be able to carry on, before my flight. Although I've done this to make recovery of my luggage easier if lost in transit, this thread makes it clear there might be another reason for those photos that I'd never previously considered.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deniah
"appeared to be melted" - not actually melted

abrasion to nylon turns the corded texture into a smooth polish ... unless the damage appears as if someone took a blowtorch to the luggage it seems par for the course
Nobody in this thread other than the OP knows the actual condition of the bag, so I take the comments at face value. Of course, the best thing for OP to do is to take the bag to a local B&R repair center to get their perspective on the damage (or lack thereof). OP can also complain to the airline, but as it's been a couple of weeks since the incident, doubt the airline will show much sympathy.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
OP, any chance of seeing a picture?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:49 pm

Although it is better to report theft, damage, or loss claims immediately, one has 30 days to file and report a damage claim to any airline by a ticketed passenger.

Silam has reported that the damage was found and observed as a result of the luggage being gate checked at the last minute. That is a highly significant fact. I have witnessed loading of last minute " gate checked " luggage and packages, and it isn't a nice, white gloved, process with tenderness, love, and care.

The crew is usually fighting a time schedule with this aircraft and the next one, and rushes to get the cargo hold loaded, documented, and finally secured. They are rushing to get the aircraft off as scheduled. I have seen luggage dropped off the conveyor belt, quickly jerked up and in by any handle available, pushed and kicked into place, and left in the rain unseen on the tarmac until later found.

Who knows where the actual damage occurred ? Perhaps in loading, or later on the conveyor system, trapped against a conveyor belt wheel or corner.

Conversely, the arriving passenger's reality is equally rushed to find and remove his or her luggage or packages, leave the airport arrival area, catch a ride, taxi, bus, and get home, to a hotel, or on to the next destination leg. And what if the claim office is closed upon arrival ? It happens.

Notifying the airline carrier, either immediately or within a few weeks will result in the matter being investigated. That may prevent the problem from repeatedly occurring to other travelers.

Start there by filing a claim, and then notify B&R as well. The sands of time are running out on the claim hourglass, as the month nears end.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phunc
OP, any chance of seeing a picture?
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm out of town for business for a significant amount of time, and have vacations built into the schedule so things are hectic on my end.

Let me know if you still are looking for a picture. I'm going to talk with someone at a local B&R repair where I'm at for work and get their thoughts. The "melting" I referenced is nylon abrasion. However, I used the term melting because some areas the abrasion seems to be severe enough that it appears "melted" as opposed to what I have observed in other instances of nylon abrasion.

I posted here because although I was irritated at first, I ultimately thought I wouldn't get anything out of it (ordinary wear and tear blah blah). However, I started keeping an eye out and I've seen a good deal of "older" B&R bags that do not have this sort of damage. That's what prompted the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.