Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Travel Insurance

Which travel insurance do you usually purchase or would you recommend?

I was doing a bit of research and found that you can purchase insurance per trip or multi-trip per year. It seems that going with the multitrip ends up cheaper. Any other thoughts on that?

I have seen a few people mentionning the Amex Travel Insurance. Would that be enough? I live in Vancouver, Canada if that helps in being specific.

Thanks again
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babydiams

I was doing a bit of research and found that you can purchase insurance per trip or multi-trip per year. It seems that going with the multitrip ends up cheaper. Any other thoughts on that?

I have seen a few people mentionning the Amex Travel Insurance. Would that be enough? I live in Vancouver, Canada if that helps in being specific.

Thanks again
annual for me and for my wife was about $2000/year each. there is someplace that has 8 insurers listed. 2 or 3 would not sell me.

this subject has been beaten to death. find a recent thread with references
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I always use insuremytrip.com - it is an online brokerage that represents about 25 companies and allows you to easily compare rates & benefits (which you have to look at carefully). They also have great customer service, if you need it, to help you pick a plan. I use them on a per trip basis mostly for TATL & TPAC trips & cruises.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Nobody can answer your question but you.

If you travel once a year, chances are the annual plans are not the best option. If you travel every other week, they may be.

Insurance is a personal thing, you need to first figure out what coverages you need, and then find something that covers those things. If you buy a program that covers things you don't need, then you are wasting money. If you buy a program that does not cover things you need, you are also wasting money.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - This is mission critical. Traveling somewhere with lousy medical care and need air evacation costing $120K? Don't expect it for $9.95 covering a night at a Motel 6 in IRROPS. Just like all insurance, determine exactly what you need, what you can afford to risk (deductible) and what you're willing to pay.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Thanks again
There are many insurers out there but how many of them is licensed to sell insurance in Canada in the major shopping at intl/US/UK travel insurance websites.

My parents has an annual plan, all you can travel with Manulife, quite competitive with US only insurers. BUT They are also customer with them for a majority of their retirement product so YMMV.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Manulife in Ontario, I opt for an annual fully comp policy and am happy with the product, price and claims (I have had to make one claim).
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:01 am

I use DAN (Divers' Alert Network). They started by providing medical insurance for scuba divers. Now they do general trip insurance as well. Since we are geezers, medical problems can crop up to ruin a trip. DAN pays claims quickly and promptly. No fine print" "... policy in effect only on Tuesday and if you are carrying a green umbrella." None of that crap.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:06 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Travel Products Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by emma69
I use Manulife in Ontario, I opt for an annual fully comp policy and am happy with the product, price and claims (I have had to make one claim).
My parent's three claims were all process within one week. We provided all documentations required.

Their policy was grandfathered to include earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, which many new policies will exempt after the Icelandic volcano and Chilean earthquake.

They were on a South America - Antarctica cruise which disembarked at SCL the day after the famous earthquake and they were stranded for 5 days with the cheapest available hotel room at the Crown Plaza going for $400/night. Manulife paid in full for extra days room, meals and incidentals before they were able to get a flight out. Others on their trip had a daily reimbursement cap of $250-300.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Ensemble, Virtuoso, FSPP & RC STARS TA

Thanks again
We use RBC Insurance at my travel office. Travel Insurance is expensive but I've found from the claims that my clients have made that they really take care of individuals. For those who travel many times/year the annual is worth it but just be careful of coverage as several policies cap out at low amounts such as $1500/trip per person which often doesn't cover your holiday. You can supplement with additional insurance per trip.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by scubadiver
I use DAN (Divers' Alert Network). They started by providing medical insurance for scuba divers. Now they do general trip insurance as well. Since we are geezers, medical problems can crop up to ruin a trip. DAN pays claims quickly and promptly. No fine print" "... policy in effect only on Tuesday and if you are carrying a green umbrella." None of that crap.
I have used DAN in the past, but as I have now moved to Pennsylvania it seems that I can't get travel insurance with them anymore. On my last trip I went with an insurer through my AAA membership. I did not have to use it, but the coverage seemed pretty good.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Thank for your perspectives. I will also take a look at some of the older threads as recommended.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:50 am

It would be helpful for you to check also at one of the biggest Canadian distributor of Travel Insurance as Securiglobe.com. They have have more than 15 Insurers and more than 30 different plans to help you to fit your needs. Multitrip is often a great option if you are traveling quite often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.