Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Road Warrior Job: Gatecheck free carryon option advice please - 2 bags

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Gate checking on RJ's really isn't that big a deal as the bags wait for you at the bottom of the stairs. However, I on't let electronics out of my sight.

I use a Red Oxx Sunchaser bag for my clothes, Kindle, and cords of various sorts.

I go easy on cosmetics.

Yes, the the Red Oxx small Aviator bag but beware your friends and family will covet it. My purse goes in either the Sunchaser or Aviator.

I borrowed a Red Oxx Air Boss from a coworker and found it was way to big for my needs. I looked like a bag with legs going through airports.

I do a lot of hand washing on the road. Practical and calms my nerves.

Good luck in your new job!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:25 pm

Gate checking on an RJ can be a big deal, depending on the circumstances. I flew through Newark once with a tight connection. We were 10 minutes late getting in to our gate because another plane was there. There was a further 10 minute delay while we stood on the jet bridge, waiting for someone to come along and give us our gate-checked bags. My connecting flight was at a terminal in another building, so I had to take a bus. I could see the bus through a window on the jet bridge, so I got to watch it arrive, take on passengers, and leave again. I made it to the gate three minutes after the scheduled departure, saved only because that plane was late. Serenely deplaning with all of my belongings and waving to the people waiting for their luggage is a lot better for my blood pressure.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:27 am

Have your bag always packed - it is worth the money (even if you have to pay for it yourself) to buy extra power cords, chargers, toiletries etc that you leave packed.

make a list of what you need (especially what you can't have extras of, like expensive prescription glasses, meds) so that packing is not stressful and you don't forget things.

Have a drawer or place in your closet where you keep travel specific items (travel pillow, plug adaptors) so that they are always in one easy to organize place and you don't have to search for those things every time you go.

Don't wear new things. When you find something that works, buy extra of it.

Mac book air 11 inch. My co does not pay for it (you can take it off your taxes) but worth every penny and every ounce.

Do take something that makes you feel comfortable and helps keep you centered -everyone has their own preferences but if your podcasts keep you happy, or a pillow, or your pajamas, it is worth it to feel at home when you are not.

A little roll of duct tape, some safety pins, sticky velcro, anbesol, crazy glue and a rick steves travel clothes line can fix almost any problem you encounter, including broken luggage, ripped hems and zippers and open wounds and none of them take up much space.

Try to get a little exercise of some kind in the mornings - even a gentle walk or some room calisthenics will make you feel a lot better.

Read flyer talk - lots of really good advice
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mg10461
Have your bag always packed - it is worth the money (even if you have to pay for it yourself) to buy extra power cords, chargers, toiletries etc that you leave packed.

make a list of what you need (especially what you can't have extras of, like expensive prescription glasses, meds) so that packing is not stressful and you don't forget things.

Have a drawer or place in your closet where you keep travel specific items (travel pillow, plug adaptors) so that they are always in one easy to organize place and you don't have to search for those things every time you go.

Don't wear new things. When you find something that works, buy extra of it.

Mac book air 11 inch. My co does not pay for it (you can take it off your taxes) but worth every penny and every ounce.

Do take something that makes you feel comfortable and helps keep you centered -everyone has their own preferences but if your podcasts keep you happy, or a pillow, or your pajamas, it is worth it to feel at home when you are not.

A little roll of duct tape, some safety pins, sticky velcro, anbesol, crazy glue and a rick steves travel clothes line can fix almost any problem you encounter, including broken luggage, ripped hems and zippers and open wounds and none of them take up much space.

Try to get a little exercise of some kind in the mornings - even a gentle walk or some room calisthenics will make you feel a lot better.

Read flyer talk - lots of really good advice
Wow, all of that is such good advice, but the part I bolded I think is very overlooked. At its best, business travel can be pretty stressful. Even personal travel can occasionally throw you for a loop (missed connection, lost luggage, unexpectedly miserable weather). Having something with you that keeps you happy, even with an associated space/weight cost, can help right the ship.

As the old Mastercard tag line goes, "priceless."
Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Wow, all of that is such good advice, but the part I bolded I think is very overlooked. At its best, business travel can be pretty stressful. Even personal travel can occasionally throw you for a loop (missed connection, lost luggage, unexpectedly miserable weather). Having something with you that keeps you happy, even with an associated space/weight cost, can help right the ship.

As the old Mastercard tag line goes, "priceless."
Heh. For me a happy picture as a phone screen saver so it is just a few extra electrons. But I do use it to cheer myself up periodically and tout things in perspective.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Heh. For me a happy picture as a phone screen saver so it is just a few extra electrons. But I do use it to cheer myself up periodically and tout things in perspective.
For me, music downloaded to a cellphone that's going with me anyways accomplishes the same purpose so the earbuds are the only extra item I need to take for that. But, I'm willing to accept that for some people, that "comfort" item might be somewhat larger/weightier than for others. The key is making sure you don't justify taking six or seven "comfort" items--then you've slipped down that slope that also justifies taking four pairs of shoes, a couple of more shirts, and that special outfit that results in a much larger/heavier bag that must be checked!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The key is making sure you don't justify taking six or seven "comfort" items--then you've slipped down that slope that also justifies taking four pairs of shoes, a couple of more shirts, and that special outfit that results in a much larger/heavier bag that must be checked!
If it lets you have a happy journey and a pleasant stay, what is the harm in checking a bag? Last time I went to AMS I decided for several reasons that I was going to take a 24 in bag that wouldn't reasonably fit as a carryon. The bag was there way before I got through immigration, I had no problems managing it on the train and was not struck by lightning by the one-bag gods.

If the OP is a new road warrior it will probably take them a while not to feel travel weary without also having the added pressure of having to make it to one bag ninja in their first couple trips. If you take a couple extra shirts and an extra pair of shoes but feel less worried that can be worth it to some people. It takes a while to learn to prioritize.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by mg10461
If it lets you have a happy journey and a pleasant stay, what is the harm in checking a bag? Last time I went to AMS I decided for several reasons that I was going to take a 24 in bag that wouldn't reasonably fit as a carryon. The bag was there way before I got through immigration, I had no problems managing it on the train and was not struck by lightning by the one-bag gods.

If the OP is a new road warrior it will probably take them a while not to feel travel weary without also having the added pressure of having to make it to one bag ninja in their first couple trips. If you take a couple extra shirts and an extra pair of shoes but feel less worried that can be worth it to some people. It takes a while to learn to prioritize.
Whatever works for someone is fine. But, if I'm only using a carryon, I don't have to worry about lost luggage (which happened frequently enough in my days of always checking luggage, including on a nonstop flight from MCO to ORF where I got to the airport hours before my departure), which helps make for a more pleasant stay. And I guarantee you that folks who carry a lot more stuff hardly ever use it all. Great if someone else is hauling it around for you, not so great if you're hauling it yourself, even in a roller bag.

I'm certainly not against checking and do so whenever I take a golf trip. But, I have found that reducing the amount I carry helps reduce the stress I feel during a trip--especially when things start falling apart, like on a return from DUB to JFK on DL where we had a missed connection back to ORF, got shuttled from JFK to LGA, missed a flight there as well, checked into a hotel for the night, and then had to go back to JFK the following day.

The point in that part of my post is simply that once you start thinking about carrying more in one area, you'll do the same for all areas--if you're taking extra clothes for working out, why not take some extra clothes in case you end up getting box seats for the opera and then why not take a personal laptop as well as a work laptop?

The OP started this thread by saying that "I'd like to avoid gate checking if at all possible even on small regional jets." That's a tall order but not impossible to achieve--but like losing weight in real life, it requires the simple realization that you can't stuff too much in.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
just bought the delsey superlite rolling tote for $53. 17" x 8" x 15". I hope it fits on a RJ, because this bag along with my small RO aviator should be able to carry what I need for a few days of travel.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:50 pm

My lesson from Tumi

Originally Posted by raymozet
Hello everyone.

Inwonderland, I just purchased this bag from Tumi through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Compac...s=tumi+wheeled
My Tumi luggage is falling apart within 2 years and they don't have a loaner bag for me (I took it into a Tumi store today), so I'm faced with having to buy new luggage for my travel next week. The polycarbonate case is cracked and the wheel is about ready to fall off. For $500+ in cost, I am kicking myself for not going with a brand that will stand up to their warranty claims and give you new luggage. There's plenty of brands that stand up to their warranty, and Tumi isn't cutting the mustard.

David
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
i have no problem putting this bag on rj's in the midwest

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelp...ng-tote/241942
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I don't think you should have an issue with one of those rolling laptop totes on an RJ. I see them all the time.

That said, if you carry a lot of stuff, you are better off with a SkyTrain or Air Boss from Red Oxx, or a Tom Bihn TriStar or Argonaut. They carry tons and fit in RJ overheads.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I have both the SkyTrain and AirBoss. RedOxx stuff works if you don't need rollers. If you occasionally need one then consider what I did with my now-retired Tumi Alpha 22" suiter: For the same coin I replaced it with a Rimowa Salsa Dlx. Instead of using my Tumi laptop case, now known as the Alpha-T with all the pockets, I just use a cheapo Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator bag if I am not packing a laptop. Simple. I just use some cubes or maybe a RedOxx Li'l Roy to organize and some file folders and the thing is perfect. One zipper, you can see what you want to take out and it's an easy fit under the seat. And it's $30.00.

If I have more, including a suit I couple the Salsa with a Red Oxx Gypsy suit cover. It's $75.00. I put a cube with what I want under the seat in its zip pocket and take it out before I stick it in the hang locker. No need to open the Rimowa hardshell once it's in the overhead. 90% of the time that cheap ES Aviator is all I need with the hardshell Rimowa.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:53 am

Try this I have this and its not as big as other rolling office
http://www.boyt.com/Boyt-Mach-Deluxe...&searchSize=12
Old May 7, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
I can confirm the delsey fits in the I overhead of American eagle ERJ wheels out. Very cool!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.