FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Road Warrior Job: Gatecheck free carryon option advice please - 2 bags
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:58 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mg10461
Have your bag always packed - it is worth the money (even if you have to pay for it yourself) to buy extra power cords, chargers, toiletries etc that you leave packed.

make a list of what you need (especially what you can't have extras of, like expensive prescription glasses, meds) so that packing is not stressful and you don't forget things.

Have a drawer or place in your closet where you keep travel specific items (travel pillow, plug adaptors) so that they are always in one easy to organize place and you don't have to search for those things every time you go.

Don't wear new things. When you find something that works, buy extra of it.

Mac book air 11 inch. My co does not pay for it (you can take it off your taxes) but worth every penny and every ounce.

Do take something that makes you feel comfortable and helps keep you centered -everyone has their own preferences but if your podcasts keep you happy, or a pillow, or your pajamas, it is worth it to feel at home when you are not.

A little roll of duct tape, some safety pins, sticky velcro, anbesol, crazy glue and a rick steves travel clothes line can fix almost any problem you encounter, including broken luggage, ripped hems and zippers and open wounds and none of them take up much space.

Try to get a little exercise of some kind in the mornings - even a gentle walk or some room calisthenics will make you feel a lot better.

Read flyer talk - lots of really good advice
Wow, all of that is such good advice, but the part I bolded I think is very overlooked. At its best, business travel can be pretty stressful. Even personal travel can occasionally throw you for a loop (missed connection, lost luggage, unexpectedly miserable weather). Having something with you that keeps you happy, even with an associated space/weight cost, can help right the ship.

As the old Mastercard tag line goes, "priceless."