Wiki Posts
Search

"Foul weather gear"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for boots, sperry topsiders are still around

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store/...Id=cat100156DM

this stuff does not have to be form fitting, but has to seal up well. all seals should be double seals. also look on ebay, and on comercial sites. get bright yellow or pink or some such. cape cod area can be very cold a large part of the year. put on full underware(for chaffing)(cover the whole torso) a full light weight wet suit for warmth, then your wet suit. they will stink plenty after a week. don't worry about that. comfort first. if it is wet inside, sleep in your wet suit.

you also need inside and outside pockets.

jamestown distributors is another resource along with west marine.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:37 am

I'd focus on a layering system, gives the advantage of versatility to different temps and conditions, cheaper than buying an all-in-one parka, etc. Waterproof shell (jacket and pants, Marmot Precip is very good and affordable, check SierraTradingPost.com,), Primaloft sweater vest (Primaloft retains warmth when wet, wear underneath a waterproof jacket or by self when not raining, ExOfficio's storm logic jacket is great insulation layer), Wool long underwear (smartwool is best). Wool socks (i really like Lorpen). For footwear, focus on a tall rubber boot with a Vibram sole. Muck boots are very nice.

Last edited by jd1006; Mar 6, 2012 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:44 am

OP, Mules-

If you get any jacket/shell with gore-tex, your daughter will be happy. Expensive yes, but will keep you dry inside!

I may suggest visiting your local REI or Hudson Trail Outfitters or even Eddie Bauer stores. All 3 have lifetime guarantees on stuff they sell.

I've gotten some bags from REI and Eddie Bauer and due to normal wear/tear were replaced w/o any questions.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
That's a really good question.

Originally Posted by aktchi
Do they make boots/shoes that are non-slip but also easy on /easy off?
I have some boots/shoes that are non-slip and are easy on/easy off but are not right for use on a boat in open water (tops not at all or not high enough).

For dry situations I wear SAS Brand Libery shoes with laces that are made to be non-slip and are.

(that's San Antonio Shoe Company).

For truly wet situations the choices are limited as several folks have explained. The boots need to fit or there is a risk of blisters.

As far as trying to sleep in a damp/wet bunking area......I'm too old to even think about that. Bless those who have to do so.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

I phoned the program and was told that they can sell me some inexpensive HH gear at cost should we need it. I may go ahead and get her a coat and then purchase the bibs there. If I can find her a good coat she likes, it will be worn again versus something that may be ugly and never worn again.

I liked that brand of wool clothing and the layering possibilities.

The purpose of the trip is to give her exposure to a different area of research than she has been able to experience here. Wildlife conservation is her primary interest/passion.

I really appreciate all the advice.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:14 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Check out West Marine (website, if not near you). They carry a variety of foulies and have good explanations of pluses and minuses of each.

Will the program be providing her with SOSpenders (the lightweight PFDs that that activate by CO2 cartridge when submerged)? They are most important piece of gear she could own and are far more comfortable than any other PFDs.

She will want gloves and a hat with a clip to attach it to her foulies as well.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Check out West Marine (website, if not near you). They carry a variety of foulies and have good explanations of pluses and minuses of each.

Will the program be providing her with SOSpenders (the lightweight PFDs that that activate by CO2 cartridge when submerged)? They are most important piece of gear she could own and are far more comfortable than any other PFDs.

She will want gloves and a hat with a clip to attach it to her foulies as well.
What she said.

You can get an entry-level off-shore set of bib/overalls and jacket for maybe $250 that's West Marine brand. Another $50 for boots, and she should be good. Keep in mind, this will not keep her warm, just dry, so she will need to layer up.

You can go all the way up to $2000+ for a nice Henri Lloyd parka and pants... but if she's not going to be sailing in winter, to the north of the Cape, or much at all, you can start low.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by mules
I phoned the program and was told that they can sell me some inexpensive HH gear at cost should we need it. I may go ahead and get her a coat and then purchase the bibs there. If I can find her a good coat she likes, it will be worn again versus something that may be ugly and never worn again.

I liked that brand of wool clothing and the layering possibilities.

The purpose of the trip is to give her exposure to a different area of research than she has been able to experience here. Wildlife conservation is her primary interest/passion.

I really appreciate all the advice.
Very glad it is working for you. Don't forget the quick dry underwear. Ex Officio makes a nice selection of that.

We have been having a big rain west of DFW airport. I went out to lunch wearing some of my foul weather gear and stayed dry. No one else in the office had anything decent to wear in a hard rain. If you take care of the stuff, it does last.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Update

The program was GREAT. They traveled through the Cape Cod canal up into the Gulf of Maine. For the most part the seas were calm- just one evening a cold front went through and the kids were tossed around enough for it to be exciting and to use their foul weather gear. My daughter was look out that night and was double tethered to ship and loved it. She is ready to run away to sea.

Her cousin found a HH jacket that was being given away by a friend so we were able to snag that at no cost. We found a pair of water proof pull on pants at closeout price at a local store to take care of her legs. Layering kept her warm in the evenings and overnights.

Thanks so much all the advice and encouragement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.