Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Foul weather gear"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

"Foul weather gear"

My daughter needs "foul weather gear" for her summer program during which they will spend about 10 days at sea on a sailing vessel. FWG is the term that the program put on their packing list.

Is this kind of gear just waterproof jackets and pants or is it a specialized type of product? We have waterproof boots for her (wellies kind of boots).

Normally I would just phone but the midwesterner in me is a little afraid of looking like an idiot.

Does anyone have any recommendations for products?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:14 pm

http://walking.about.com/od/clothing/tp/rainjacket.htm

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/sear...FcHb4AodTyb0CA
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Do you have a local boating store? They would have what you are looking for. Foul weather gear for a boat is a bit more intense than for jogging. If not check out places like westmarine.com

It will come in different types, based on where you will be sailing. It will have all kinds of features regular rain wear doesn't, like reflective stripes should she fall overboard at night, etc.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
My set (used for ocean fishing in the Pacific Northwest) is commercial-grade Helly Hansen bib overalls and parka (you can get them from places like Cabela's) paired with PVC rainboots.

H/H has a very expensive line for serious sailers; it's probably overkill but you can get an idea of what sailing gear is like:
http://shop.hellyhansen.com/US/produ.../?partner=6005

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Mules, you don't say where you live, but most coastal cities have foul weather gear outfitters.

When I needed such as part of my job I bought a recommended set of gear in Nova Scotia. I have used the multi-layer jacket many times over the years. It is not a fashion statement.

Foot wear needs to be absolutely non-slip and water proof.

You need to let us know where your daughter will be sailing (hot/cold/cool etc) and if it is a live aboard situation. If it is a live aboard situation, then she will need quick dry underwear so she can rinse dainties out and hang them to dry.

Appropriate underwear is critical to her comfort.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Everyone, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I need to ramp up what we purchase for her.

She'll be living aboard a research vessel for about 10 days leaving and returning from Cape Cod. She has a land based component for a week before setting sail. They will have a special area to hang up the FWG but all other items have to fit in the bunk with her.

We are in the corn fields of the upper midwest. Most boating places here are geared to lake fishing. You know, how to bbq on a pontoon kind of thinking.

http://www.foulweathergear.com/cgi-b...&category=3100
Any advice on how to analyze offerings like the above? Is something like the coast jacket or inshore jacket good enough?

The prices on the HH gear are scaring me.

Last edited by mules; Mar 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...atalogId=10001

Westmarine has 3 categories - inshore, costal, and off shore?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:21 pm

Just seen your post re Research vessel from Cape Cod

Hi Mules
I agree with Oldpenny. But other posters are correct also, true 'wet weather gear' is v v expensive. How old is your daughter? If 'still growing', then would you consider searching second hand, asking at her school if someone purchased the gear last year, or asking those that run the sailing vessel, or other parents sending their children? Willing to bet that you are not the first one wondering what to buy! You may even be able to hire. If she is fully grown, and enjoys sailing, then buying new may be a worthwhile investment.
Think you may need to phone - simple waterproofs may be all that is required - good luck! Know that when my son went skiing on school trip all parents did swaps - stuff purchased and outgrown then had a second life.

Now just seen your other post - memo to self, refresh more frequently! Sounds as though you will definitely need either coastal or off shore. Surely the organisation running this course can (and should) provide you with some more detailed info?

Last edited by grannieflyer; Mar 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm Reason: just seen new post
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Now that I know that waterproof athletic gear is probably not adequate, I will get in touch with the program for a better idea of what is required.

There is a Westmarine outside of Minneapolis; perhaps we should trek up there so that she can try everything on. She is still in that long, lanky, coltish phase that can be hard to fit.

Again thanks for the help.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop?

I've been in the situation where all my basic gear (not the water proofs) had to live with me in my bunk. Fortunately I am small and managed.

Likely there are net bags hung in various places to hang clothing but it wouldn't hurt to take along a couple cheap ones. Damp is an issue and things can mildew.

Off Cape Cod in the summer it will not be freezing cold but it will feel chilly in rain and at night. Telephone to get more info.

The jacket I got in Nova Scotia has multi layers that can be worn all at once or one at a time. A vest, a fleece jacket and the waterproof outer. I have never been cold or wet in it even on the North Atlantic but it is a bear to travel with on airplanes. Leaving Texas in the hot weather it makes a ridiculous carry on item. That's just life.

In addition to the quick dry underwear (and socks) anti-dry skin lotion and sun screen are a really good idea.

It should be a fantastic experience especially with no iPhone, bag of beauty products and clean clothes each day. Call it a learning experience.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's the commercial-grade H/H stuff; the prices are much more wallet-friendly:

http://www.workngear.com/cgi-bin/fro...FcFw4AodCHg3AA

My first attempt at foul weather gear was Gore-Tex stuff from Eddie Bauer. It looked nice, but I found that when you are out in the open water and rain, the items soak through after a few hours. I started paying attention to what the locals were wearing and it was the dark green H/H raingear. It's not pretty or sexy, but I can say that it is waterproof and I don't mind getting fish slime/guts on it. I use SimpleGreen or dish soap to wash it off when I am back on land.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:15 pm

Sailing off Cape Cod.

OK. Sailing North or South ? Exact time of year ?

Oldpenny 16 is quite accurate. These are not tropical waters, so a good source of reasonably priced foul weather items ( Jacket, bib pants, rubber deck boots, a knit hat, and most importantly sailing gloves ) can be purchased, as mentioned above from West Marine. If you handle sails and rigging lines which most do, sailing gloves are a must.

The comment about being wet and perhaps chilled in FW gear is common. Sailing at sea there is no such thing as being waterproof. Unless you are on a giant cruise ship or wearing a dry suit for diving. Taking green water over the bow will soak anyone eventually, even up in the crows nest. Insulation, and marine grade is vital. One should think of a layer like capilene to insulate and keep warm in, despite being wet. The US company Patagonia comes to mind.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the same problem with brand name Gore-Tex as described above and good luck with Patagonia's Capilene.

In recent years I've been wearing wool clothing made and sold by IceBreaker as my skin out layer.

One of my great worries on the North Atlantic (rough and wild) was slipping and falling. I was picky about my foot wear.

Stayed safe!

The hard thing to learn is how to stay relatively comfortable when trying to sleep. Took me a while to realize that I had to be really dry before getting dressed in dry clothes. Damp clothes and damp me meant chill.

We were required to sleep in daytime clothing so I did my best to keep one set dry. I rigged up a clothes line (brought with me) to hang up my clothes to (attempt) to dry them out between wearings. Our whole bunking area was full of much the same.

Eye shades are a really good idea also.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:05 am

Just being sensible about the OP's post. Mules, is your daughter going off for a wonderful 10 day plus trip of exploring herself/expanding her horizons/adventure. Or is she planning (sorry, thinking, may be more appropriate) of a career that involves marine research in any field.

Whist anyone that regularly has to do off shore work must equip themselves with essential items, and keep themselves dry, as excellently and knowledgeably suggested and explained by oldpenny16, I just wonder if all this is necessary for your daughter's adventure. Non slip boots are an essential regardless!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by grannieflyer
Non slip boots are an essential regardless!
Do they make boots/shoes that are non-slip but also easy on /easy off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.