Wiki Posts
Search

Attaching Luggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Attaching Luggage Tags

How do you attach your luggage tags to your luggage? I have tried those plstic loops, they are too bulky and seem to come off. I tried metal beaded clasps, they snapped apart. I tried zip-ties, the flatness held them in the wrong position, but were the closest to working. Any better ideas?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Cloudship
How do you attach your luggage tags to your luggage? I have tried those plstic loops, they are too bulky and seem to come off. I tried metal beaded clasps, they snapped apart. I tried zip-ties, the flatness held them in the wrong position, but were the closest to working. Any better ideas?
I use the plastic ovals that come with my AA tags. Not sure where you can buy them separately.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There was a recent thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-bag-tags.html where JT8D-217 posted a link to Meritline for wire rope keychains.

They don't seem to have those now, but I did see these (toss away the two solid rings, you just want the cable)

http://www.meritline.com/double-wire...--p-51165.aspx

and if you so a google shopping search for keyring cable you will find them in all kinds of colors, sizes, etc.

If you get the screw on and off kind, a drop or two of crazy glue will make it very hard to open by mistake.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I have a couple of twist-lock wire rope key chains that work really well for me. I bought them at Ace Hardware a few years ago. They are similar to the type of key ring that Avis uses/used for it's car keys. It is a 1/4 turn to open or close and the clasp is small enough that it goes through the key holes easily without snagging. I also have the kind with the larger screw type clasp which looks better but the clasp still gets in the way.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: QF Silver
I've tried these braided wire links before with poor results:

http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-A...00/170/Product

But mea culpa because I was using laminated business cards and the wire would just slice through the plastic loop. The ones cordelli mentioned look like they have a thicker diameter and may be more friendly. Both would be fine if you head to Walmart and get an engraved aluminum dog tag.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:05 pm

I use the Red Oxx vinyl tags since they came with my Red Oxx stuff. Granted, they ain't the most stylish luggage tag out there but they're pretty tough.

I also have and use the Red Oxx cables linked above. They work great with hard plastic or metal luggage tags. FYI Red Oxx sells custom dog tag style luggage tags that work great with the cable links and look pretty good too.

Last edited by aaronu; Jun 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:13 pm

Another option --

The Lucky Line key rings are plastic coated cables with a twist connector. I bet they would work well with a laminated card.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Line-811...9320415&sr=8-3

Cheers,

Aaron
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship
It's a good question. But I think it should be more specific because the answers will vary.

What kind of tag is it?
What kind of bag is it?
Checked or cabin luggage?
What's your priority? Tag not coming off easily or bag not being destroyed?

I think the leather bands that usually come with leather tags are totally good enough. Never lost one. Even on the thin little plastic cards one could use something like a leather shoe lace (think boat shoes).

That said, the question shows that INTEGRATED luggage tags are a real plus!

I always try to have the tag NOT flip around and for it to be covered (so my name and address cannot be read from a distance). So attaching it close to a pocket where there are often D-rings and then putting it in the pocket is a good solution.

Three more tips:

1. Don't use your home address on it. If possible give an office address and cell phone. When you are traveling there is a good chance you won't be at home to greet the burglars. And especially if your family is still at home, you don't even one anyone to try.

2. Also clearly mark your destination address. This will help getting the suitcase to you and contacting you at the destination.

3. In the event that the tag does get ripped off, put another tag INSIDE the bag. This will allow easy ID for them to get the bag to you. And it will allow you to prove that this is absolutely your bag if ever you have to make that claim.

Till
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The most important luggage tags, the Flyertalk ones, attach best with a double loop - One at the bottom and one at the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.