Wiki Posts
Search

Why are duffel bags so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

REI usually has some pretty good quality ones at reasonable prices.

http://www.rei.com/category/40005006
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:14 pm

Cheap is relative and you get what you pay for... to a certain extent. I pay up for bags and have them for years to come. I still have an orvis leather duffel from at least 30 years ago.

That said, I wanted this: TRANSATLANTIC TRAVEL CARRYON
$648.00: From Coach

I could not justify $600+ so I settled for this:
High quality, but less of a household name
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm very partial to Patagonia duffel bags... especially their wheeled ones:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/lug...l-bags?k=1G-aq

I have the $349.00 one... pricey yes, but I've had it for almost a decade now and it still works and looks great. Love their stuff, especially their fleeces!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Joncorde
I'm very partial to Patagonia duffel bags... especially their wheeled ones:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/lug...l-bags?k=1G-aq

I have the $349.00 one... pricey yes, but I've had it for almost a decade now and it still works and looks great. Love their stuff, especially their fleeces!
+1 for the fleece. I have one of the original pull over fleeces, it remains my favorite article of clothing.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
LL Bean has one that looks almost the same, also leather and not quite a grand less. I was in if I recall correctly a Hermes store in NY and they had a nice leather duffel for about 15,000.
i have that ll bean bag. the hardware on the strap broke quite publically and embarassingly. they did send a new one in the mail , but it still sucked when i was on my trip
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by deniah
i have that ll bean bag. the hardware on the strap broke quite publically and embarassingly. they did send a new one in the mail , but it still sucked when i was on my trip
Yeow. Thanks for that input. Was it the strap itself or on the bag?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: *G
Yeow. Thanks for that input. Was it the strap itself or on the bag?
it was the brass hardware between the bag and strap. there's an "o" pinhead that sits inside the "||" ring of a D-ring, that allows the strap to swivel/pivot. the pinhead woredown after only DAYS of use and slipped right through.

====||o

otherwise, the leather is very thick and the bag is very handsome in both colors. im hoping the replacement doesnt suffer the same fate
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
REI usually has some pretty good quality ones at reasonable prices.

http://www.rei.com/category/40005006
I second the REI ones. They're basic and inexpensive.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:43 am
Suspended

They cost so much because they have become popular. It requires little forethought in packing it. You can dump everything into it and go. A few weeks ago, there were two articles in the Travel section of Washington Post, each extolling virtue of the favorite luggage of its author, wheeled luggage and duffel bag. I prefer wheeled luggage.

A carry on that one wears like a backpack is not new. I have one, that I bought so long ago that I even can't recall the brand name. It cane be pulled along on its wheels or work like a backpack.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:51 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Yaatri
They cost so much because they have become popular. It requires little forethought in packing it. You can dump everything into it and go. A few weeks ago, there were two articles in the Travel section of Washington Post, each extolling virtue of the favorite luggage of its author, wheeled luggage and duffel bag. I prefer wheeled luggage.

A carry on that one wears like a backpack is not new. I have one, that I bought so long ago that I even can't recall the brand name. It cane be pulled along on its wheels or work like a backpack.
Hmm. I think it takes a lot more thought to efficiently pack a duffel bag.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:01 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It takes thought/effort to pack nicely. But it takes none to dump. I associate duffel bag with people who "dump" instead of pack.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri

It takes thought/effort to pack nicely. But it takes none to dump. I associate duffel bag with people who "dump" instead of pack.
I associate it with a high volume to size bag for efficiently packing, light travelers
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA
I've used Kelty cheapos from Campmor for the last few years and they've been fine. I've also owned Eagle Creek and they're definitely a bit sturdier but not really worth the extra bucks to me.

Just be sure to get something with really good, big zippers. That's the weak point when they're tossed off the top of a bus in Bolivia or a yak in Tibet or a baggage cart in LAX.

Since luggage allowances were lowered several years ago I'm using a smaller Kelty and a bag I bought for 6 bucks in Kathmandu several years ago. Both are holding up well.

With baggage weight allowances being what they are duffels make a lot of sense. If I'm going on a mountain trip it's so easy to get to 50 lbs. with a 2lb. duffel. I can't understand 12 lb. empty bags.

If I were buying a new duffel today. I'd buy a Gregory Long Haul. The company has a great reputation, looks like good material, light. A little pricey at $70 t0 $110, though. Available at mountaingear.com and others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.