Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin size case basics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Cabin size case basics

I've just landed a job with a lot more travel so am looking for a new case to replace a £20 Antler Revelation. There seem to be a number of basic decisions that need to be made to round down the market, can anyone contribute to the pro's and cons of the following, my assumptions are included but i'm sure others have more experience than me:

1. Hard or soft shell - Hard is less likely to come away from the zips and keeps fragile things inside more secure but is heavier

2. Wheels or spinners - wheels are contained inside so they are less likely to suffer damage and sit in the overhead compartment earier. Spinners stand up better on their own so makes it easier to access pockets etc but no 'brake'. Currently have wheels which tends to topple when case is full, may just be a cheap case.

3. Inbuilt garment holder or not - keeps suits/shirts smarter but takes up valuable space

4. Zipped lining to seperate suitcase into 2 compartments easier to keep clean and dirty items sepearate but takes up space

5. External pockets - Ease of access for items used on board such as books, and ipod but takes up space which could be used as a larger internal section and adds weight and zips that can break. I have one small and one large at the moment, small i use for liquids so easily accessed through security and for ipod. Large is used for onboard items, book, newspaper etc

6. Expandable - extra weight but could be used for any unplanned purchases or quick packing scenarios

Apologies if this has been covered previously but nothing came up when i had a look
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH M&M FTL, KL Platinum, Aegean Bleu
No specific recommendations but last year swapped a textile Samsonite cabin roller for a hard shell - hard shell being relative in this case - Samsonite roller as the textile was starting to look tatty.

A year on and I find the hard shell looks more professional and gives better protection but if I am on the road for a week with hand baggage only, the textile roller can carry more stuff, expands slightly by virtue of being textile and the outside pockets are useful for passport, itinerary, mints, etc.

Good luck finding the right one and will keep half an eye on this thread for recommendations!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 1M, UA Ex Pr MM
Less is More

I've traveled a lot for a long time, mostly 1-3 night trips. My preferences:

1. soft-sided, good quality fabric and good zippers. Leave the fragile items home or pack in a small strong case inside the bag.
2. wheels; those spinners are out of control.
3. 1-2 outside zip pockets for book, papers, mittens (in winter).
4. no inside garment bag--I toss it out if the bag comes with one. Roll your clothes or overlap to reduce wrinkles. Take a plastic shopping bag for dirty clothes. Don't bunch up your dirty clothes--fold them carefully to save space.
5. inside zip lining dividing case is fine for separating clean/dirty or work and non-work.
6. expandable--yes, but use infrequently. Better to bring an extra lightweight canvas tote bag you can pack in the bottom of the suitcase to use if needed--handy for both work files, purchases or even to go to the pool.

Now I want to downsize even more for 1 night trips; have tried my rolling computer bag, but can't quite fit everything in it. Thought of a rolling backpack--any ideas? Ideally would fit under the seat if necessary as well as in most overheads (including those small CRJ's).

The biggest sacrifice I have made is taking only one extra pair of shoes (stuffing them full of small clothing items to save space) and if it's a 1 night trip, I just take the pair I'm wearing. Second biggest is not to carry a coat, even in the winter...and I live in Michigan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.