Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

"Spinner" style carry-ons. Love 'em or hate 'em?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Spinner" style carry-ons. Love 'em or hate 'em?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:27 am

Love mine. It takes the stress off the elbow.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
Originally Posted by N1120A
My problem with spinners is that you can't buy a 22" one that will fit an overhead. I'm a pretty strong guy, so I can just pick the sucker up and carry it if maximum maneuverability is needed. I care much more about having space in the bag and being able to fit it in the overhead.
That's not correct. I got 2 Samsonite Silhouette 11 22" spinners, one for me and the other for my father over the summer.
Since I got it I have never had any issue fitting it into the overheads on CO 752s or 73xs. Same for my father on CO and UA mainline equipment. I slide it in wheels first and it goes right in. When I first ordered it I read a lot of reviews from people claiming that it wouldn't fit but this just wasn't the case in my experience on CO and UA. It easily fit in.

I think Spinners are great. I ended up getting Samsonite's laptop/one-night spinner bag also and the mobile office spinner for my father. They are definitely easier on one's back. If you learn how to walk them properly they are much faster in airports as you can just nudge/guide it along. I suppose on the sidewalks or rough terrain they can be slightly annoying but I feel its worth the trade-off.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also have a 22 inch spinner and have never encountered these problems except on any type of mainline aircraft.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Same experience with many previous posts here. Started off always using the 2-wheeled carry-ons. They were great for "in a straight line run for your flight" situations.

Tried my first spinner about 4 years ago ... ever since, the 2 wheeled bags have been relegated to storage and I think currently hold winter sweaters in the closet.

I love the spinners because of how easy they are to move and turn around. Also tend to be a little more forgiving if loaded "lop-sided". I had an old Travelpro 2-wheel which if I loaded "front heavy", it would tip over on itself. Never had that experience with a spinner.

The typical damage I see to the spinners (different from 2-wheels) is that either 1) the wheels get knocked off, 2) bag gets some impact at the wheel and the entire corner "caves in". I now look out for bags with a "cupped" wheel design and the entire corner is reinforced. Unzip the lining and look inside. If there is little reinforcement where the wheel is attached to the bag, don't get it.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Originally Posted by g_leyser
I need new luggage. My current 22" Atlantic carry-on is at about 450K to 500K miles, and I do love it, and I will miss it, but it's time to move on...
Atlantic makes a 22" carry-on spinner. Does anyone have it and would like to share their experiences with it?

Last edited by Cityhawk; Nov 14, 2010 at 10:32 pm
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by moeve
Forget those life time garantees samsonite offers - they are not worth the paper they are printed on!!! Too many loopholes and they are not interested!!!
I live in Dallas and I take my Samsonite to Rynn's Luggage or the Samsonite store and I have never had a warranty issue. All sorts of problems have been covered, even those of my own making.

I love my spinners, I have Samsonite and Travelpro spinners, I just bought a Victorinox spinner carry-on that I will try out this week. They are just easier for me to travel with. I bought the very first one Samsonite put out years ago and it still works great.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Jan 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I have the Samsonite Sahora Brights 19” carry-on spinner for about five years now. I bought it when Irv’s Luggage had a huge inventory sale on those as the spinner fad hadn’t caught on yet. There are scruffs on the side from normal wear and tear, but it still runs as dependable as the day I’ve got it; all four wheels still intact and still rolling perfectly fine.

IMO, It’s the best carry-on I’ve ever had and would never go back two-wheelers, period. Spinners are just much less strenuous on my arms and back to transport, I can literally push the thing with one finger. Spinners have more control allowing me to squeeze through tight corners like poles, people, the restroom, etc. without the worry of running their foot over. On many occasions it has gotten me off the plane faster as well; turn it to the side and push down the aisleway instead of carrying it or bumping all the seats.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, many hotels
I hate spinners. Hate 'em with a passion.

I've tried three different spinner bags, one a very expensive Delsey 26". So I don't think the problem is in the quality of the bag.

The problem is that the wheels on spinners are just too small. They would be fine if the world consisted of a single smooth unbroken surface. It does not. Those little wheels catch on every little bump and imperfection. A larger wheel rolls over surface bumps much more easily.

Since you are pushing or pulling the bag from the top, the result of an obstruction hitting one or two wheels is that the bag tries to tip over. The notion that these things "just go rolling along easily" is pure fantasy in my experience. Try to roll a spinner on or off an elevator. You can't. You can only lift it over the gap. Try to roll it over over the gap, or the change in height, at an aircraft cabin door. Hah. A sideroller just keeps going - you might have to pull it extra hard now and then, but it will never tip over on you. Even the change from an escalator tread to the escalator landing isn't a "just roll it along" for spinner.

Yes, you can tip it onto its side and use it as a side-roller. But again, the wheels are just too small for the job. There are times with a sideroller when you have to push it forward rather than pull it behind you - that flatly doesn't work with a spinner; the wheels try to reverse themselves and get hung up on the wrong side.

And then, of course, there's the fact that the wheels are too exposed to damage. My second spinner bag lost a wheel on its second trip.

Give me a side-roller with skate wheels at least 3 inch diameter any day.

-
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, UA-1K, Marriott-Gold
I bought a Samsonite Spinner Carry-On two years ago and up to 4 months ago thought it was the best luggage innovation.

Pros: It is mostly easy to handle especially up and down narrow airplane aisles and am able to move it along smoothly while the 'draggers' battle with their bags getting caught on a seat or hitting someone in the leg.

Cons: If you load it up and then attach your laptop bag to it - so now its heavier than normal and then try to "push" it around a carpeted floor and you will eventually have a problem with your wrist. This is exactly what happened to me and my wrist has never been the same (hairline fracture I believe).

I still love the bag, however now I drag it behind me on carpeted floors or if the bag is heavy.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I wish Briggs & Riley made spinner luggage.
i guess its a quality issue, because it seems the other two best warranty (boyt and eagle creek) dont either.

hope they crack it eventually. i love spinners, but wont be buying anything besides those 3 brands.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:21 am

I also own the Samsonite Sahora Bright. The large one and carry on size. I call them big pink and little pink. Love them. They are so easy to get down the isle and not at all heavy. A little known tip is they are also washable. I take mine out on the back deck with soap and a scrubbie and get all the stains and scuff marks off and then hit it with the hose and let it dry. Good as new. I've washed them boat at least three times. A great product!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: *G
Team SPINNER!!

I have the Samsonite Winfield 28" Hardside Spinner Luggage, it's a perfect carry-on to travel with, and very easy to move it without straining arm, shoulder or neck. Plus I like that I can put my purse on top, with handles through the arm, and don't have to worry about anything falling out, as I can push the or guide the luggage along side of me rather than trailing behind.

Personally, I should have gotten this in black, not silver as it marks up easy, and it's taking me a bit to get used to the zipper cutting down the middle, no pockets either. But the spinner, the spinner!!
Old May 3, 2011, 5:27 pm

I have an Olympia 22" spinner, and I love the spinner type. I have only found one flight in my past 20 flights where I had an issue with overhead. But I had packed it a little more than normal for that flight.

However, I do want to find a new one. The size of the wheels and how they flow is extremely important between having a good spinner and a bad spinner. I have a decent spinner with the Olympia, but I want the perfect spinner. When you have weight on the luggage, say with a laptop bag on top, I find that I do have to fight the wheels a bit, and it can get tiring fast.

Anyone, know of the best spinner wheels that are out there for 21" or 22".

I won't ever go back to two wheels, it just hurts my back and neck.

Thanks

Mark
Old May 5, 2011, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Spinners are great for larger size suitcases. For me the advantage of spinner is not great over two wheelers for carry ons. I am often in a situation where I have to carry the carry-on; wheeling is nit an option. For that reason, I have a carry on that has straps so that it can be carried on the back.
I love spinners for larger size. On a recent trip that lasted over two months, I had three suitcases. Two 29" and one 24"; all spinners. I was able to nudge all three of them and my carry on through customs and on to the luggage belt. Similarly I managed to nudge them from the luggage carousel in DCA to curb side without using a luggage cart.

I hate airports that don;t provide free carts, which is most U.S. airports. What are user fess for?
Old May 5, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by phatozzy
Cons: If you load it up and then attach your laptop bag to it - so now its heavier than normal and then try to "push" it around a carpeted floor and you will eventually have a problem with your wrist. This is exactly what happened to me and my wrist has never been the same (hairline fracture I believe).
I agree. Spinners work great on hard floors due to less friction, but at carpeted airports they require more effort to push.

If you travel mainly to airports with hard floorings, then the spinner might be good for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.