Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

"Spinner" style carry-ons. Love 'em or hate 'em?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:54 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

I need new luggage. My current 22" Atlantic carry-on is at about 450K to 500K miles, and I do love it, and I will miss it, but it's time to move on...

I've done a lot of research, and have read a ton of the VERY helpful threads here at FT and elsewhere.

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the standard two-wheels, or go with spinners. I like the idea of being able to turn it sideways while moving down the aisle, but it sounds like there have been complaints of them breaking and generally being hard to manage.

I don't mind spending some money, but I think Tumi and Rimowa are frankly overpriced.
I have my eye on this bad boy, but can't seem to find something similar in a "spinner" version.

So what do YOU think? Spinner or no spinner?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
No Spinner

The wheels are a liability - I've seen many sorry looking spinners on the baggage belt, or being pulled around the airports. Also, the exposed whells add unproductively to the length. The Japanese seem to love them, though.

I have no problem pulling my std carry-on down the aisle - no need to push.

The 22" BRS may prove challenging to fit in the overheads on some aircraft - I'm thinking 737/A32x
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:08 am

I wouldn't trade my spinner for the world..... have to disagree about the wheels though. I have had several including samsonites and of the one that have "died" it was never the wheels!! Mostly the shells. Now I have a softsided one and I am happy.

There is one problem the wheels have no brakes and if you are often in hills etc. you might have to reconsider.

I am however never going back.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
Love my Spinner!

Just bought a Samsonite 21" expandable carry-on. It's my second. I simply wore out the first. Samsonite has a lifetime guarantee as well.

Stumbled on a sale at Macy's. Tax & Total around $165.00. Just did a google search & found the same spinner on sale at Sears. See link below:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=01493038000P

By rolling it sideways, it takes a lot of stress off the shoulder & back. Plus, I can move a lot more swiftly as well. Turning sideways allows easy glide down those skinny plane aisles.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made fun of them, now I have several. One could worry about a wheel breaking, but then again so can so many other parts. Much easier to deal with overall.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:15 am

Any suggestions for a VERY light spinner 19-21" ?

Softside or hard shells ?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:17 pm

Yes. The B&R BRX 19" is wonderful. I own it.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:18 pm

I have a spinner from Muji that is fairly light at 6.4 lbs for the price.
http://www.muji.us/store/bags-and-sh...l-carry-m.html
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:35 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
I have a spinner from Muji that is fairly light at 6.4 lbs for the price.
http://www.muji.us/store/bags-and-sh...l-carry-m.html
How do you like it? Pros? Cons?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by g_leyser
How do you like it? Pros? Cons?
I purchased the light gray Muji suitcase and use it for 4-5 day trips.

Pros:
Very light for the size
No problem so far fitting it in overhead bins
Easy to push down the aisle. Better with hard floors and harder carpeting.
Spins pretty well for such small wheels
Can drag on 2 wheels just as easily.

Cons:
Top and Side handles not padded
If overloaded, can be difficult to put the long slide handle back into the slot
Nylon and zippers feel sufficient but not "Industrial".

Neutral:
Has a full flap for compression, not just two straps.
No piggyback strap (I rarely use this as I take electronics I prefer over my shoulder so they don't get rammed by others)

I would purchase this one again for this specific need but might not if it were my only carry-on roller piece that could possibly get checked. I haven't beat it up since it feels light but it has run into corners/legs and fared fine. Will have to check the handle height to see if it would work for tall people as well; I'm petite and needed a light bag I can lift. Works as long as I don't overload it.

If you are interested, I can take some photos/short video and post them.

Last edited by freecia; Nov 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm Reason: added strap info
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:00 am

Forget those life time garantees samsonite offers - they are not worth the paper they are printed on!!! Too many loopholes and they are not interested!!!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I tried a spinner thinking that it would be easier to roll down the asile sideway. That is the only virtue of the spinner.

Due to the extra moving parts in the spinner wheels they do not roll as well in a straight line and is more fragile. I am back to the two wheels roller. Just make sure the wheels are roller-blade wheels with the central sealed bearing unit and the two wheels are jointed by a common shaft.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:48 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Thanks freecia. The lack of a piggyback strap is kind of a dealbreaker for me. I use that almost every single trip.

Really appreciate the thorough review.

Overall, do you feel the "spinners" significantly improve the bag, or could you live without 'em?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
Spinner forever!

After several of the two-wheel bags I made the switch to a spinner and I will never go back. In fact, I gave away all of my two wheeled bags to a charity. These were all good, but not great quality.
I now have two carryon spinners and my wife and I each have a 25" spinner. These are also good, but not great quality. All are Samsonite. The main advantage for me is that there is virtually no stress on my back. The only disadvantage is that putting a smaller bag on top of it tends to make it a bit awkward. I don't travel quite as much anymore, going from MP 1P to MP GM in two years, I only need something that will last through two or three trips per year now. No more 60-80 segments a year for me!
The only two wheel bags I am keeping are the ones that came with my car and they will go with the car when I sell/trade it. Never used them.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:07 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Spinner Lover!

Spinners made me give up my carryon that I have used for some 20+ years! All of my bags are spinners. I have two carry on size one a nice business gray and another a fun pink and 24 and 26 inch checked bags. As a disabled passenger who walks with a cane, it is liberating! No more sore shoulders or arms, it heels along with me like a puppy and provides some additional balance. As someone who lives on a hill, take heed about runaway bags, although I have heard some manufacture was putting in a wheelstop brake with its high end bag. I've also given a set to Mom89339 who at the age of 85 can zip through an airport with her carry on now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.