Reload this Page >

Ultra light weight rain jacket for SE Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ultra light weight rain jacket for SE Asia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:54 pm

Having lived my whole life in Malaysia, a rain jacket is useless in a tropical downpour (unlike the drizzles in temperate countries). Better get an umbrella....
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm really hoping the weather in SE Asia in October won't ruin my trip. I know weather is unpredictable, but i have read mixed reviews about the amount of rain to expect per day. I have read that it usually just rains for about 1 or 2 hrs./day, then the rest of the day is usually fine, with rain about 3 days/week.

If that is the case it won't bother me so much.

If it rains for 4 hrs./day, 6 days a week, then i might have to pack an inflatable raft, instead of a waterproof jacket.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: Priority Club
Check out the Marmot Mica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec4DhVk7Cp8 -- it's sold out in a lot of places but PM me if you are interested in buying one and I'll give you the name of a dealer who has some in stock.

Ken
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by longleaf
I'm really hoping the weather in SE Asia in October won't ruin my trip. I know weather is unpredictable, but i have read mixed reviews about the amount of rain to expect per day. I have read that it usually just rains for about 1 or 2 hrs./day, then the rest of the day is usually fine, with rain about 3 days/week.

If that is the case it won't bother me so much.

If it rains for 4 hrs./day, 6 days a week, then i might have to pack an inflatable raft, instead of a waterproof jacket.
Early October it is not too bad. Sudden 1-2h late afternoon tropical heavy flash rainstorms are common after a hot day. However end Oct till year end is monsoon season, expect hours of downpour in certain areas. You can check wunderground for previous years trend for places you will be visiting to have a rough idea of the amount of rainfall. In any case, during heavy downpour as such, one could only stay indoors.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by kenyalang69
Having lived my whole life in Malaysia, a rain jacket is useless in a tropical downpour (unlike the drizzles in temperate countries). Better get an umbrella....

The umbrella is cooler in SE Asia, no doubt. But if you need a hands-free situation, or are on a bike or motorbike, you need raingear.

It is completely silly to buy an expensive piece of raingear for just for travelling in SE Asia during monsoon season--they are too hot to wear. Common newbie mistake and I've done it myself. I have a Helly Hansen lightweight--packs into its own pocket--bought years ago and never used in SE Asia again after the first time. The best thing to do is go local--in monsoon season, any market or shop will have ultra-lightweight pullover plastic rain shields--the kind with the little hood that ties under your chin. Similar idea to those yellow slickers you wore as a kid to school, but more lightweight. The cheap ones cost about USD $1 and disintegrate after 2-3 wearings, basically like wearing a kitchen garbage bag. The expensive ones cost USD $5-ish and general last for an entire few week's trip, like wearing a heavy duty lawn-and-leaf bag. They really do work to keep the downpour off you, though, so don't laugh.

If for whatever reason you wanted to go more substantial/fancy, yes, any of the major cities in SE Asia you can buy nice lightweight rain jackets. It is far better to err on the side of packing light in your home country, and if you find you really need something, pick it up locally in Asia at less cost. You don't have to come pre-equipped as if you were mounting a Stanley-and-Livingston African expedition!

As for how much it rains in October, it depends on where you are (country and coast). "SE Asia" covers a wide variety of microclimates at any given time--the one constant is that nowhere will it be cool. Kenyalang's information on monsoon season being from October to end of year for instance, is valid for east coast of peninsular Malaysia (and Thailand, and central/northern parts of Vietnam), but is incorrect for the Andaman side and the southern coast of Vietnam, where the monsoon is winding down in October.

Last edited by jiejie; Sep 5, 2010 at 12:47 am
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
The umbrella is cooler in SE Asia, no doubt. But if you need a hands-free situation, or are on a bike or motorbike, you need raingear.

It is completely silly to buy an expensive piece of raingear for just for travelling in SE Asia during monsoon season--they are too hot to wear. Common newbie mistake and I've done it myself. I have a Helly Hansen lightweight--packs into its own pocket--bought years ago and never used in SE Asia again after the first time. The best thing to do is go local--in monsoon season, any market or shop will have ultra-lightweight pullover plastic rain shields--the kind with the little hood that ties under your chin. Similar idea to those yellow slickers you wore as a kid to school, but more lightweight. The cheap ones cost about USD $1 and disintegrate after 2-3 wearings, basically like wearing a kitchen garbage bag. The expensive ones cost USD $5-ish and general last for an entire few week's trip, like wearing a heavy duty lawn-and-leaf bag. They really do work to keep the downpour off you, though, so don't laugh.

If for whatever reason you wanted to go more substantial/fancy, yes, any of the major cities in SE Asia you can buy nice lightweight rain jackets. It is far better to err on the side of packing light in your home country, and if you find you really need something, pick it up locally in Asia at less cost. You don't have to come pre-equipped as if you were mounting a Stanley-and-Livingston African expedition!

Very good advice,

An umbrella will not only protect your from rain but also from the sun, which sometimes can be very usefull. That's something i always carry with me when abroad, small size and weight, but very usefull.
If you need some more protection and something handfree, then buy a poncho rain gear, otherwise you will get too hot while wearing a regular rain jacket, even it's supposed to be breathable.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Very good advice,

An umbrella will not only protect your from rain but also from the sun, which sometimes can be very usefull. That's something i always carry with me when abroad, small size and weight, but very usefull.
If you need some more protection and something handfree, then buy a poncho rain gear, otherwise you will get too hot while wearing a regular rain jacket, even it's supposed to be breathable.
Do u think a poncho would be more breathable than an 11.4 ounce jacket, that is supposedly scientifically designed to be breathable, armpit vents. I do kinda think i overpaid a bit for the patagonia rain shadow jacket, but i have to think that it would be less warm than a poncho.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:07 am

Do u think a poncho would be more breathable than an 11.4 ounce jacket, that is supposedly scientifically designed to be breathable, armpit vents. I do kinda think i overpaid a bit for the patagonia rain shadow jacket, but i have to think that it would be less warm than a poncho.
I have jackets made with eVent (probably the most breathable waterproof fabric out there), GoreTex (not very breathable for the conditions most of us are using them for), Epic (more breathable and lighter than eVent, but considered more water resistant than waterproof, but I haven't found that to be an issue). I also have a Marmot Precip. Lighter than eVent and GoreTex jackets, but heavier than Epic. Breathability is about the same as GoreTex in my observations.

If I am on a backpacking trip that doesn't include rough off-trail, then I take my poncho. The fabric is not that breathable, but airflow takes care of the issue. Also, it protects not only your torso, but further down your legs. I would seriously consider that for your trip.

There is a reason why Patagonia is called Patagucci.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
[QUOTE=longleaf;14577862]
Don't bother! You'll be able to buy a rain poncho for about $1 once you get there.

Exactly what I said, many postings ago!

Last edited by celle; Apr 23, 2011 at 5:55 am
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bnw2005
I would suggest looking at the Columbia products. I bought the perfect nylon jacket at a Columbia outlet that is lighter than light and is very water proof. It packs into itself and has a hood. I do not remember what I paid at the outlet store but think it was not more than $25. I now take this jacket on every trip and always put it in the day pack when walking about.
You probably got a great deal on smth like this:
http://www.columbia.com/Rapidfire%E2...efault,pd.html

Those are VERY light 3-5 oz I think but they block the rain and the wind amazingly well. I have a very similar one that I always put in my bag - it takes no space and adds no weight and i can put it over t-shirt in tropics in rain or over fleece in the mountains when it gets windy.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You should look at a cycling jacket. like this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31000

They are designed to be compact, as a cyclist needs to be able to fold them and fit them in they're rear jersey pocket. It will take virtually almost no room in your backpack.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jiejie

As for how much it rains in October, it depends on where you are (country and coast). "SE Asia" covers a wide variety of microclimates at any given time--the one constant is that nowhere will it be cool. Kenyalang's information on monsoon season being from October to end of year for instance, is valid for east coast of peninsular Malaysia (and Thailand, and central/northern parts of Vietnam), but is incorrect for the Andaman side and the southern coast of Vietnam, where the monsoon is winding down in October.
Solid, solid post.

As part of my school curriculum I had to hike for 2 months in all weather conditions mapping rock. Most of us had nice fancy gear with fancy gee-wiz pockets and linings and zips, but in the end, a cheap poncho works as well, if not better. (I had a Marmot Precip, and it felt so muggy underneath, even with pitzips)

If you do insist on getting real technical gear, I have a GoLite gee-whiz rain shell with a built-in balaclava, built-in fingerless-mittens, and a clear window for wristwatch. As their name implies, they specialize in lightweight technical gear, and you'd be supporting a good local Colorado company.

However, I endorse the recommendation for a local poncho.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I agree with the posters who say that raingear isn't practical in SE Asia.
I travel to SE Asia often and have multiple jackets made out of Gore-tex (PacLite, XCR,,ProShell) and eVent. I haven't found any to be useful in SE Asia.
You will end up sweating more than you would be wet from the rain. These fabrics were designed to work in cooler climates that are less humid than SE Asia. It depends on at what temperature you sweat at. But I find that at temperatures above 80-85 deg. F. There isn't any raingear that will not cause me to sweat under my waterproof breathable jackets in SE Asia.
If you are just sightseeing, and not hiking and camping in the jungle, just use an umbrella.
If you insist on a rain jacket, eVent is more breathable than any Gore-tex product, but I find its still not enough to keep me from sweating in SE Asia, where temperatures are never below 80 F.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Well, a cheap poncho is what the locals wear. seems to work for them!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:19 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Skymiles
I live in Singapore...only people on motorcycles use rainwear...everyone else uses an umbrella or finds ways to get from point a to point b without having to walk out in the open. A number of the malls in the main shopping area, Orchard Road, are connected via the mrt.

Let me put it to you this way, I've lived here my whole life and I very rarely even use an umbrella, even in the monsoon season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.