FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Ultra light weight rain jacket for SE Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1121843-ultra-light-weight-rain-jacket-se-asia.html)

longleaf Aug 31, 2010 9:52 am

Ultra light weight rain jacket for SE Asia

Can i get some recommendations on an ultra light weight rain jacket that i can easily roll up and fit into a backpack? This will be used for rain protection in SE Asia monsoon season. Therefore it has to be really light, since it will be very hot and humid.

I'd really like to find one that is between 4oz. to 10oz.

kingalien Aug 31, 2010 10:16 am

That's quite light. Check out REI for different gear particularly this one, though it is a littler heavier than what you wanted (14 oz).

May also want to check out Nike Storm-Fit jackets but those tend to be heavier.

PracticalHacks Aug 31, 2010 11:17 am

Check out the Marmot Precip. Super lightweight, packable, and waterproof.

chollie Aug 31, 2010 11:21 am

I agree with Kingalien, that's very light for rainwear. You didn't mention your budget or your style of travel. Good ultra-light rainwear can be very expensive. Cheap ultra-light rainwear can be lacking in durability. If you'll be backpacking that's a consideration.

Having said that...agree with checking sites like REI. Patagonia usually has some super light-weight raingear (I don't own any myself because it exceeds my budget). You mentioned SE Asia. You might find a bargain in cycling wear. There's some very lightweight cycling rainwear for a decent price.

You might also look for pit-zips (ventilation). There's also some very lightweight cycling wear with zip-off sleeves - depending where you are, maybe you don't care if your arms are bare and get wet.

Also, don't discount the added benefits of an umbrella. If not, will you be needing a hood? Personally, I have yet to find a hood that is really comfortable, keeps me dry, and doesn't interfere with my sightseeing (head turns). I usually wear a hat with a brim under my rain hood or, if I'm in the city, carry an umbrella.

BTW, where are you planning to travel?

longleaf Aug 31, 2010 11:34 am

Will be travelling all over se asia (thailand, Malaysia, vietnam, etc). I'd like to spend no more than $50-$75. Being packable is a major issue with limited space in my backpack. Looking for something extremely light weight, breathable, that will help with rainy days. I was thinking something 100% nylon, that i could roll up into the size of my fist. If it has a hood that is a plus, but not entirely necessary. I am packing an umbrella too. When it starts really pouring down, i will just hop in a restaurant or coffee shop. Doesn't have to be the most durable hi-tech jacket, just something to last me this trip, that will suit its purpose.

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 14578460)
I agree with Kingalien, that's very light for rainwear. You didn't mention your budget or your style of travel. Good ultra-light rainwear can be very expensive. Cheap ultra-light rainwear can be lacking in durability. If you'll be backpacking that's a consideration.

Having said that...agree with checking sites like REI. Patagonia usually has some super light-weight raingear (I don't own any myself because it exceeds my budget). You mentioned SE Asia. You might find a bargain in cycling wear. There's some very lightweight cycling rainwear for a decent price.

You might also look for pit-zips (ventilation). There's also some very lightweight cycling wear with zip-off sleeves - depending where you are, maybe you don't care if your arms are bare and get wet.

Also, don't discount the added benefits of an umbrella. If not, will you be needing a hood? Personally, I have yet to find a hood that is really comfortable, keeps me dry, and doesn't interfere with my sightseeing (head turns). I usually wear a hat with a brim under my rain hood or, if I'm in the city, carry an umbrella.

BTW, where are you planning to travel?

longleaf Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am

Originally Posted by PracticalHacks (Post 14578440)
Check out the Marmot Precip. Super lightweight, packable, and waterproof.

That Precip looks interesting.

chollie Aug 31, 2010 11:44 am

Sounds like a great trip!

With that kind of budget, definitely look at REI cycling sale racks- Sugoi and Pearl Izumi have some amazingly lightweight stuff. Marmot Precip is also great, but a bit heavier and takes up a bit more space. You can also get some good prices on 'last year' models, but I don't recall when the 'new' season stuff comes out.

Depending on your size, also check out the kid's stuff. I'm just small enough to (sometimes) be able to wear a kid's L-XL. You can save big bucks that way.

chococat Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm

Check out the Patagonia Houdini jackets-- ultralight and super compressible. The tradeoff is the price and that they are slightly less durable than other Patagonia jackets. I have a hooded pullover with a 1/4 zip that compresses down to the size of a soda can and is less than 3 oz. The full zip version (currently on sale) weighs (size L) 3.7 oz. They are waterproof in most conditions, but will soak through in a downpour-- the advantage to this is that the fabric is very breathable and good for humid conditions.

longleaf Aug 31, 2010 2:50 pm

Well, a really cute girl at the outdoor store talked me into spending $100 (at 30% off) on a sweet new Patagonia M's Rain Shadow Jacket. i figure i might as well get one that should last me a long time. It's 100% nylon, exclusive of trim.

I love this jacket! Very light weight, 100% waterproof, remarkable adjustable hood, underarm vents, taped seams, flap over zipper for extra waterproofing, very breathable and light, durable tear resistant fabric, 2 way zipper, adjustable Velcro cuffs, 2 taped side pocket zippers, low profile.

I really can't think of anything i more i would want in a jacket for this trip, except for the ability to pack itself into its own pocket, and that the hood is not removable. But it rolls up very compact. I might not even need an umbrella with this thing, if only my shorts wouldn't get wet.

P.S.~ It is made in Vietnam. I wonder if i could have gotten it cheaper over there.

Anyone looking for a super light weight durable, breathable rain jacket willing to shell out the extra bucks ought to check out this jacket. I don't know if this is this year model, but it looks something like this (available in different colors):
http://www.campmor.com/patagonia-men...jacket-1.shtml

frankiwa Aug 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf (Post 14579796)
Well, a really cute girl at the outdoor store talked me into spending $100 (at 30% off) on a sweet new Patagonia M's Rain Shadow Jacket. i figure i might as well get one that should last me a long time.

I love this jacket! Very light weight, 100% waterproof, remarkable adjustable hood, underarm vents, taped seams, flap over zipper for extra waterproofing, very breathable and light, durable tear resistant fabric, 2 way zipper, adjustable Velcro cuffs, low profile.

I really can't think of anything i more i would want in a jacket for this trip, except for the ability to pack itself into its own pocket. But it rolls up very compact.

P.S.~ It is made in Vietnam. I wonder if i could have gotten it cheaper over there.

Anyone looking for a super light weight durable, breathable rain jacket willing to shell out the extra bucks ought to check out this jacket. I don't know if this is this year model, but it looks something like this (available in different colors):
http://www.campmor.com/patagonia-men...jacket-1.shtml

Nice, but kind of expensive for a light jacket

cityhall Aug 31, 2010 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf (Post 14579796)
I love this jacket! Very light weight, 100% waterproof, remarkable adjustable hood, underarm vents, taped seams, flap over zipper for extra waterproofing, very breathable and light, durable tear resistant fabric, 2 way zipper, adjustable Velcro cuffs, 2 taped side pocket zippers, low profile.

I have a similar REI jacket that I've used while canoeing in storms. The sleeve tabs are important for tightening the jacket around your wrists when it's raining. I can't tell if yours has it but the unzippable underarm vents are really nice if it's hot and raining intermittently (or if you're using the jacket for sun protection). I also have some Marmot waterproof pants, but you probably don't want to walk around town in those. So just wear synthetic fabrics since cotton is so uncomfortable when it's wet and takes so long to dry. I recently ordered these pants but haven't gotten them yet.

I actually bought a waterproof hat too after the first time I got caught in a storm with a canvas hat. Even with the hood up, the hat sucked water back into the jacket then stayed wet the rest of the day. If you really intend to be out in hard rain in that jacket, the hood brim won't keep the rain out and let you keep your head up at the same time.

longleaf Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm

The hood is actually incredibly adjustable. It has an adjustable strap on the back of the head/neck to shrink the hood to any size or extend it to a loose size. It also has the normal 2 straps in the front of the hood. You can shrink the hood so that is is smooshed to your face where just your eyes and nose show (no forehead or mouth), or you can extend it to wear an actual helmet underneath the hood. They have come a long way in hood technology. Nice thing too is that when you turn your head the hood doesn't restrict you. It doesn't have a huge lip on the front top of the hood, but i don't think i would really want that. (The whole sacrificing look for comfort thing.) The lip is long enough to keep most of the rain off your face though.

Oh, and the cuffs are adjustable. They have a Velcro strap to tighten or loosen the jacket around the wrists.

If this patagonia wasn't on sale, i would have gone with the Marmot Precip jacket, which has many of the same features and is notably cheaper. However, i have read mixed reviews on the breathability of e Precip.

bnw2005 Aug 31, 2010 9:54 pm

I would suggest looking at the Columbia products. I bought the perfect nylon jacket at a Columbia outlet that is lighter than light and is very water proof. It packs into itself and has a hood. I do not remember what I paid at the outlet store but think it was not more than $25. I now take this jacket on every trip and always put it in the day pack when walking about.

tcook052 Aug 31, 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by bnw2005 (Post 14581953)
I would suggest looking at the Columbia products. I bought the perfect nylon jacket at a Columbia outlet that is lighter than light and is very water proof. It packs into itself and has a hood. I do not remember what I paid at the outlet store but think it was not more than $25. I now take this jacket on every trip and always put it in the day pack when walking about.

I think OP has made a decision.

BTW I'm a big Columbia fan and hadn't thought it possible to get a jacket of their for so little even in an outlet store so you did score a deal. ^

Being a Canadian and coming from a cooler climate when I head to S.E.
Asia in a few weeks I'll already have a Lands' End fall jacket like this one with me that I quish down into a packing cube to save space so will have it along in case of adverse weather.

GadgetFreak Sep 2, 2010 2:54 pm

I had a Precip for years (almost 10) and liked it a lot. But the lining was crumbling. I contacted Marmot and they said send it in. I did and they replaced it for free. Great customer service. Like the jacket a lot too. Very light weight an great even in pretty heavy rain.