Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Briggs & Riley "wide body" bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Briggs & Riley "wide body" bags?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
Took the U420XW on a couple of trips last month. No problems packing for 5 night trip to Bangkok, including my running gear. The extra width, in my opinion, is hardly noticeable and presented no problems in the overheads. (still didn't try to put in overhead on 747 UD)
I really like the handle on the outside. Seems to provide a much easier packing experience. Only thing I'm struggling with is where to put my liquids when going through security. In my old 21in bag, I'd slip them into on outside pocket. This bag really doesn't have a similar space, so I end up packing inside the bag and having to open up the bag at screening time.
I do like the small outside pocket for keys, phone, etc. but find it a bit hard to access due to its placement between the outside handles. Maybe it's just the size of my hand, but takes a bit of effort to get stuff out of there.
Overall very favorable opinion of the bag. Looks like it will last a long time. Heading to LHR on Friday which I guess will be the true test!
lsbuffs– How did the Briggs and Riley 20" Carry-On Expandable Wide-body Upright perform during your travels? I'm especially interested to know about your Asian and European trips. For example, how did the piece perform at security checkpoints, where the x-ray had a cutout that restricted carry-on bag dimensions? Also, how did the luggage perform on smaller aircraft? Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by christof
spinjockey– thanks for your review... Regarding UA's new config C 744, did you try to load the bag in the center (middle) overhead lockers/bins or the outer (portside or starboard) bins?
Actually that was above 6b. I've flown another UA 744 since then in 8b and had no problems wheels in. Did a LH 744 in probably 27b or so and no problems either... Very odd. None of the times did I try the middle overheads.

I never had a chance to play with the suiter, but of the tri-fold, it sounds like only one section comes off? Has this remained a hassle for you, or have you been able to adapt?
It's tri fold and the 1st piece is the top of the bag, the second piece has a zipper goes fully around the perimeter (so nothing loose can fall out), and the third piece zips off and has a pad at the bottom (to help with wrinkles).

I typically travel business casual so I've only packed a jacket once and that was non-suiter style (fold it inside out - unsuccessfully I might add) as I didn't have a wire hanger handy. Next time I'll try using it as designed.

I'm glad that the suiter zips fully closed so it's a little more usefully than I originally thought and I've used it to separate dirty clothes for the trip back. What would be ideal is if I could find a packing folder that complete filled the space as I could use that space better (I have an 18" however there's space around the sides).

I'm especially interested to know about your Asian and European trips. For example, how did the piece perform at security checkpoints, where the x-ray had a cutout that restricted carry-on bag dimensions? Also, how did the luggage perform on smaller aircraft? Thanks!
FYI I've been through MUC and FRA on those trips and had no problems with security but I don't think I've had small cutouts on the Xray machines. SEA I think had some of those setup but for 20" bags and the U420 fit fine.

The bags now gone through 767 (outer Biz/E), 757 (PS/nonPS), A320 (UA 1st/E), and UA/LH 747s (outer biz only). A few regionals but never inside the cabin. The only place I've had any issues was UA 744 in 6B...
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Minor update. I've travel again with a jacket and definitely don't like the suiter. Need the full bed just to pack the jacket! Also my jacket's a 50" (broad shoulders and a bit of a belly) so it doesn't fit so nicely fits better in a 22" costco bag (with broken wheels and failing handle I might add).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.