Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Briggs & Riley "wide body" bags?

Thoughts on Briggs & Riley "wide body" bags?

Old Nov 4, 09, 8:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WAS
Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Posts: 482
Thoughts on Briggs & Riley "wide body" bags?

Does anyone have any experience with the Briggs and Riley 'wide body' line of carry-ons (U418X, U420X, etc)? They're marketed as carrying as much as the standard uprights while fitting better in the overhead bin (due to their diminutive height). In particular, I'm wondering about

  • experiences with overhead bins? I assume it fits better wheels out/in, but does it take up too much width?
  • how it does with aisles? A standard upright can wheel down the aisle, but I'm worried this will be too wide.
  • general opinions of this line? 18" vs 20"?

I'm a fan of B&R and I know about the brand's features, but it would be great to hear a bit more about this line if anyone has used them.
FBKSan is offline  
Old Nov 5, 09, 8:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IAD, DCA, SAN
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Posts: 1,236
I have not used the widebody. I own the standard B&R 22". I love it and have bought B&R since that purchase, based on that purchase. I have also had it serviced by mailing it back to B&R and it was the easiest warranty service I have ever had.

The 22" is too long for some aircraft overheads. Especially in Europe. You have to turn it sideways. If I were you I would purchase the 20" widebody.

I cannot see many situations where a little wider a case would not actually help. The only time my 22" frustrates me is when I am rolling off a sidewalk and the narrowness creates instability.

Go wide.
Paolo01 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 09, 9:26 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BRU
Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Posts: 6,856
Originally Posted by Paolo01 View Post
The 22" is too long for some aircraft overheads. Especially in Europe. You have to turn it sideways.
I think that is only true for regional jets. I always thought my 55 cm (=22") bag is too long to fit into a Lufthansa 737-300/500 bin, but I found out it actually fits. It appears to stick out slightly, but you can still close the bin. I even fitted my bag wheels first into a Swiss Avro RJ100 bin.
SmilingBoy is offline  
Old Nov 5, 09, 11:04 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IAD, DCA, SAN
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Posts: 1,236
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy View Post
I think that is only true for regional jets. I always thought my 55 cm (=22") bag is too long to fit into a Lufthansa 737-300/500 bin, but I found out it actually fits. It appears to stick out slightly, but you can still close the bin. I even fitted my bag wheels first into a Swiss Avro RJ100 bin.
I would agree with you, but the problem I have found is that regardless of where I put my bag, other passegners come and move it and then cannot close the bin. This means that the FA ends up coming and then if they do not realize the issue, they pull it and want it ramp checked. At that point I get up and reposition the other items if I can and show that the bin closes.

You find this all the time with Airbus 320's. the bag fits technically, but the two inches less length more than made up for in width might be very convenient.
Paolo01 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 09, 11:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,413
The 22" also has trouble in the first few rows of some planes, where the cabin is slightly narrower (and the bins slightly smaller).
dtremit is offline  
Old Nov 6, 09, 7:28 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WAS
Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Posts: 482
Thanks for the replies. I also own the 22" upright, and while fits fine lengthwise on the UA 757, it won't fit on the Airbuses, hence my interest in the wide format bag.

The specs indicate the these bags are 16 inches wide, and reports I've read suggest most aisles are 17.5. So it would be close, but doable. That's my biggest concern: navigating the aisles without running into everybody. I'd love to hear any direct experience in this regard.
FBKSan is offline  
Old Nov 7, 09, 3:49 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
The wide body format has its advantages as outlined above. However, I usually advise against it because of the aisle issue you mention. My normal roller is 22x14x9. There are already moments EVERY TIME I roll it down the aisle where it catches a seat or bumps into a leg that's placed slightly into the aisle. The fact that due to the position of handle and body it is not exactly centered in the aisle has to do with that, too.

If you are always in the front rows, no problem. But if you have to carry a 30lb case to row 30 in a packed plane, not funny.

I'd go with a 20x14x8 inch bag. Even my full-size bag fits wheels first in all cases except those where it wouldn't fit even sideways and has to be gate-checked. So the slightly smaller size should give you the decisive edge especially with sizers and smaller bins.

Till
tfar is offline  
Old Nov 7, 09, 8:34 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IAD, DCA, SAN
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Posts: 1,236
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
The wide body format has its advantages as outlined above. However, I usually advise against it because of the aisle issue you mention.

Pet peeve of mine is when people roll their luggage down the airplane isle. It is simply not wide enough. Why are you trying to roll your luggage down the last 100ft to your seat. I have always stowed my carrying handle at the door of the aircraft. I always get a chuckle out of people banging into everybody's knees, getting straps over the handrests and the invariable rolling bag tipping over half a dozen times down the isle. Just carry it.
Paolo01 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 09, 2:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Will the Briggs 20" wide fit on Embraer's?

I'm also looking at purchasing the Briggs Wide. I fly a lot of regional routes so I know I"ll be gate checking on Bombardier regionals.

On Embraer's i realize bags go in sideways... will the 16" width of the Briggs fit in the overhead?

Thanks in advance!
duckpond is offline  
Old Nov 7, 09, 2:05 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
Paolo, I totally see your point but can offer two reasons why I mostly choose to roll it to the seat if possible.

First, in the occasions when I do need a roller bag, it and the adjunct personal item, are so heavy that I want to avoid carrying them if possible.

Second, when I have to balance a 25lb bag in one hand and a 14lb bag in the other, it doesn't exactly make the whole operation very stable. There is thus a real risk of miss-stepping or simply for whatever other reason hitting someone in the face or chest with my bag.

It is thus safer to roll it and hit a knee or seat occasionally than to hit a poor fellow passenger in the face with my Plat5.

The knee shouldn't be out in the aisle anyway when one is cautious and courteous during the boarding process. And hitting a seat is really just between my bag and the seat.

In any case, hitting whatsoever is not great and I thus avoid bags wider than 14" because even those are a tight fit.

Till
tfar is offline  
Old Nov 7, 09, 5:39 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 6,768
Originally Posted by Paolo01 View Post
Pet peeve of mine is when people roll their luggage down the airplane isle. It is simply not wide enough. Why are you trying to roll your luggage down the last 100ft to your seat. I have always stowed my carrying handle at the door of the aircraft. I always get a chuckle out of people banging into everybody's knees, getting straps over the handrests and the invariable rolling bag tipping over half a dozen times down the isle. Just carry it.
Hahaha... you too? I hate it when people roll it down the aisles and bang chairs and armrests and knees, and slow down the whole boarding process. Just lift it up. It's not that far!
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline  
Old Nov 7, 09, 9:46 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ocean Beach
Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 534
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
Hahaha... you too? I hate it when people roll it down the aisles and bang chairs and armrests and knees, and slow down the whole boarding process. Just lift it up. It's not that far!
I've been banged into by far more carried than rolled bags.
25milesfromhome is offline  
Old Nov 9, 09, 9:47 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 33
As airlines continue to cut flights, especially in the smaller markets, most of my flights have been jammed packed recently. It gets even tougher when Iím in a 757 since thereís only one aisle. If Iím traveling economy I make sure that I check in and board early! The U418X does not come in a wide body. Iíve tried the U420XW and it fits perfectly in the overhead, wheels in. Most airlines donít allow it any other way. I am really not sure about the aisle, though. But carrying it sideways down the aisle is not a problem for me. The 420XW more than compensates in other features it has.

When I was making my purchase I was tempted to go for the Briggs & Riley U418X since itís smaller and more compact. I went for the U420XW because it can pack more stuff, expand by 24 percent and has a built-in garment sleeve Ė I can pack in 2 to 3 days of clothes easily. That saves me time waiting at a luggage carousel. Hope that helps.
harrymorris is offline  
Old Nov 11, 09, 8:57 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Briggs & Riley Sale

Hi. I love my Briggs & Riley 22" Upright too! Highly recommend their products because of the lifetime guarantee. I saw this thread and wanted to share this link that I found on Briggs & Riley's Twitter page this morning. Apparently, they are having a holiday sale that launches tomorrow, so FBKSan, if you are looking to buy a bag, this is probably a good time to save a little $$. Enjoy!

www.briggs-riley.com/holiday-sale

Last edited by Emmatravels; Nov 11, 09 at 8:57 am Reason: typo
Emmatravels is offline  
Old Dec 17, 09, 10:45 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PHX
Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
Posts: 189
I just ordered the B&R U420XW from ebags for $269.99 and free shipping. Will report back once I check it out. Interested to see if it is acceptable to LHR sizing police as well as being able to fit in the baggage compartments on the UD of 747. (I have a BKK flight set for late Jan., so can confirm then)

Showed a friend a picture of the bag and his comment was that it was 'ugly'. I would agree it's not the most stylish bag..seems few of the B&R are...but hopefully it will make up for it's lack of style by years of solid use (plus the warranty).
lsbuffs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: