Wiki Posts
Search

travel with DV tapes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
travel with DV tapes

I'm going to be flying with DV tapes pretty soon and I'm worried about transporting the tapes through security. Any advice on whether the xray machines will affect the tape content?

Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a rule, magnetic tapes are not effected by x-ray scanning. However, some older third-world airports may have poorly-shielded conveyor belts, the motors of which generate a sufficient magnetic field to cause problems. That said, I've been traveling with miniDV tapes for 6 or 7 years, all over the world (including through third-world airports) and, in some instances, have had the tapes scanned multiple times on a single trip. I've never once had a problem.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I have travelled with our DV camcorder in my carryon (with a DV tape in it and an extra loose) many times and never had problems - US/Europe/Asia/Australia.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:17 pm

I, too, have never had problems.

If you're really worried about it, make a visit to your local camera shop and buy a lead-lined film bag. Theoretically it may scare the TSA, but I've never been hassled.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cjheck
I, too, have never had problems.

If you're really worried about it, make a visit to your local camera shop and buy a lead-lined film bag. Theoretically it may scare the TSA, but I've never been hassled.
There is absolutely no point in buying a lead-lined bag which will shield x-rays, but is non-ferrous and will not block electromagentic radiation, i.e. the emf from motors on the scanner. Lead bags are useful with film, which is sensitive to x-ray radiation. Magnetic tape is not.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On second thought, I'm not sure whether lead will shield emf -- it might. It (an emf shield) is still an unnecessary precaution unless you're flying through backwards airports with ancient scanning equipment. It certainly isn't necessary anywhere in North America or Europe or most of Asia.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flyingdesigner
I'm going to be flying with DV tapes pretty soon and I'm worried about transporting the tapes through security. Any advice on whether the xray machines will affect the tape content?

Thanks.
What PTravel said.

I carry tapes inside or outside a camera just about every time I fly, and have never had one affected by the x-ray at the terminal checkpoint. I'm assuming you're going to carry on your video gear and not check it.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:24 pm

The bag that I own has lead impregnated in a metal mesh. Hence, I would argue that since the "holes" in the mesh should be smaller than the wavelength of the wave (on the order of 1.0 nm or less for the radiation in question), the mesh is quickly saturated by the B flux and the tape is not significantly affected. Q.E.D.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I don't think a lead-lined bag is needed for carrying DV tapes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.